Author Topic: Firewall details  (Read 3696 times)

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Firewall details
« on: March 29, 2021, 10:37:39 AM »
I am done painting my engine compartment so it is time to start putting things back together. I would like to make it as correct as I can. Does anyone have a good picture of a correct firewall configuration for a 68 GT350 4 speed no A/C car?
Corey

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Firewall details
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 02:33:03 PM »
I had these saved because I liked the detailing but I'm not an expert and can't say they are 100% for you to model yours after.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 03:30:37 PM »
If anything is wrong I apologize but it does have the original suspension on it. The MC and cap should be black like the booster. GT350 no air 4 speed.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 05:33:50 PM »
I had these saved because I liked the detailing but I'm not an expert and can't say they are 100% for you to model yours after.
The two main things I see in the first set of example pictures is that there is zero sealer /sound deadener on the firewall and the PS hoses are wrong ones for a Shelby.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 05:36:40 PM »
If anything is wrong I apologize but it does have the original suspension on it. The MC and cap should be black like the booster. GT350 no air 4 speed.
The two main things in this second set of example pictures is that there is zero sealer /sound deadener on the firewall and the chassis mounted brackets are painted black instead of bare steel looking.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 05:26:46 AM »
The two main things in this second set of example pictures is that there is zero sealer /sound deadener on the firewall and the chassis mounted brackets are painted black instead of bare steel looking.
Thank you as always Bob as I was hoping for some feedback as we are getting ready to restore my friend's 68 GT350 vert.A basket case.  He plans on getting it home this weekend. NM drive train. Red, black ,black.  Yeah, the firewall. PO had the car 100 percent media blasted and all was lost. Anything else? zinc dych on the spiral hose shields and red nuts for UCAs as seen in CBoss' pics? Gary
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 05:39:31 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 06:46:58 AM »
Black out top steering gearbox.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 06:53:17 AM »
Black out top steering gearbox.
Thank you Ed. Seraphim keeps wanting to do a road trip down to Indiana. Do you have more goodies for him? Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 09:37:35 AM »

Bob when you say "chassis mounted brackets" are you referring to the motor mounts?  If so are all the pieces of the motor mount bare metal?

Corey

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 11:40:27 AM »

Bob when you say "chassis mounted brackets" are you referring to the motor mounts?  If so are all the pieces of the motor mount bare metal?

Corey
Yes the chassis side brackets for the motor mount are all bare steel.

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 12:20:23 PM »
Can anyone tell me the details on the accelerator bracket.  It looks to be bare metal? What is the finish on this?  Is it black on the other side of the firewall that attaches to the foot pedal?

Corey

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 04:05:11 PM »
Can anyone tell me the details on the accelerator bracket.  It looks to be bare metal? What is the finish on this?  Is it black on the other side of the firewall that attaches to the foot pedal?

Corey
The complete bracket inside and out was typically a light to medium gray like a zinc phosphate and not dark like a manganese phosphate.

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2021, 11:05:54 PM »
Thank you Bob.

Also thanks to those that posted the pictures. It's all very helpful. As I get farther I have some specific questions on various straps or clamps. But I will post pictures as I get closer.

Corey

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2021, 08:16:15 AM »
Thank you Bob.

Also thanks to those that posted the pictures. It's all very helpful. As I get farther I have some specific questions on various straps or clamps. But I will post pictures as I get closer.

Corey
I'll be looking too as we will be starting the resto of my friend's 68 GT350 vert soon. My car was not done for concours but a lot of it was done asking Tim and Pete questions on the old VMF 68 Shelby section 15 years ago. There was one strap on the pass shock tower which was hard to find(SEE PIC) and it is serviced on earlier Mustangs and I found it on Ebay luckily for around 10 bucks  high bid back then. As Bob mentioned my frame mounts should not be black but I took a que from some NOS service parts pieces when I did the car(painted black). Shock tower nuts are the long 69 style and not correct in my pic.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 08:21:43 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2021, 06:50:13 PM »
All of the pictures have been very helpful.  When disassembling my firewall I found a plastic hanger attached to one of the small metal mushrooms that protrude from the firewall  It was attached to the mushroom in the upper corner above the brake booster.  But there was nothing being retained by it.  Is it supposed to be in this location and if so what does it retain?  It is the clip shown on the right in the below photo.

Secondly, when I bought an AMK kit a few years ago for plastic wire retainers and such it came with the 3 straps shown on the left in the photo.  I am sure these go on some of the other small metal mushrooms protruding from the firewall but not sure which ones get used and what they retain.  I do see one in the photos supplied and it is retaining the heater blower wire.  Any idea where the others go?  I do see I believe 4 of these metal mushrooms.  Do they all get used?

Thank you,

Corey