News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

any early funny car owners here? Or know of a person or company?

Started by Harris Speedster, March 30, 2021, 02:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harris Speedster

Have a trick induction system that is quite unique to say the least.

bottom part of intake, bolts to heads, has 8 injectors located in the ports.
2nd part of Intake is a full pledged supercharger/blower.
Drives are external and by crank.
Scoop on top of blower,
Pete and Scot have viewed pictures, found nothing like it in their books, we don't know who cast it, or what it was built for.?
Does have a 427 MR it is sitting on, all items are fresh.
Has special poured heavily dished forged pistons
Very cool though.
had to be an experimental set up, funny car, maybe Force, or all out race boat?
Anybody here have friends or museums into the early big boy stuff?
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

TA Coupe

Sounds like something that Pro Stock Engineering might have made in Southern California.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

gt350hr

Show me or email me a picture or two . I CAN identify it for you. No doubt there. Blown 427 MR engines "were" used allot in boats and to a lesser degree in race cars .
  Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Harris Speedster

98 SVT,
I did forget to forward the intake picture.
It is as unique as the other parts shown.
Sent 1109 ,the picture of the intake, which he kindly pasted the pics to help me,
john
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

gt350hr

I said to John , off line , that this appears to be a never completed  blown 427 project. Side oiler block , medium riser heads , 8-71 aftermarket supercharger , 7.5-8-1 pistons , stock steel crank , etc. It is interesting that the rods aren't aluminum as is typical in a drag race engine of this nature. "I" am leaning toward a marine application.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

TA Coupe

Just wondering if a marine application would use an automatic transmission flex plate if that is part of the package?

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

427heaven

Its very possible... Drag boats use transmissions in many of the upper classes speed wise. My boat ran twin turbos, V drive, and a c6 transmission for a lake boat. Transmissions are just cool in a boat.

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Harris Speedster

98SVT - was 06GT,
Top picture,
Thanks Randy for your your assistance, and 1109>>> appreciate the posting's, thanks !!!

Marine, not sure, did talk to a few old dogs about the flex plate, they said that slip& slides from Gm were used sometimes back then, and still today,
Marine could explain why no ex manifolds are shown, but yet, would have been headers on a early funny car application.

Weird that nothing like it has surfaced in mags, talks etc.
Just a conversation piece.
BUT, sure would be neat to get all the new parts together, fire it and run some passes?
Does anybody know John Force?
Thanks again randy for researching,
Respectfully
John

shelbydoug

Casting numbers on the block and heads would help identify it.

They  could be "marine 427" heads but I thought thouse were low risers? Heads may not match the block. I think side oiler blocks are C5AE-A casting ID's?

I don't remember the mains side cap bolts being countersunk like that. My 427 block has surface mounted cap screws and extra thick flat washers.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!