News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

any early funny car owners here? Or know of a person or company?

Started by Harris Speedster, March 30, 2021, 02:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350hr

John,
      That is NOT an early funny car engine , I can guarantee that. Nitro engines could NOT run steel rods , they used aluminum. Steel rods failed in that type of use. I was around during the evolution from carburators to fuel injection , the change to alcohol fuel , superchargers and eventual use of superchargers and nitro methane fuel. The group of parts you have would not be typical of a nitro burning engine and the majority used in the time period were of the SOHC variety not a medium riser like you have.
    For those unfamiliar , early funny cars ( through "about 1970") used automatic transmissions so a flex plate would be common. That however is not a "nitro' flexplate , it is a standard production piece not "up to" the demands of a supercharged nitro engine.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

pbf777

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 02, 2021, 09:16:34 AM
They  could be "marine 427" heads but I thought thouse were low risers? Heads may not match the block. I think side oiler blocks are C5AE-A casting ID's?

The cylinder heads nor the block are of the typical sort used in the commercial "Marine" applications.  But if curious, most (if not all?) of the marine intention blocks had brass core plugs.     ;)

Scott.

427heaven

John... What you have is a cool period, correct bunch of parts. By the time that combo was going to be used it probably was slated for a play toy or a lower division of racer. You mention FORCE the division which he raced and currently races is the top dog division- TOP FUEL and as RANDY MENTIONED would not run anything even close to what your combo is. By the mid 1960s if you didnt come to the track with the latest and greatest MOPAR offering (ELEPHANT POWER) the proverbial king of the hill (HEMI) It was going to be a very long day for those running different engine combinations. Many tried running big Chevys and Cammers with very limited success until they realized around 1970-71 I better get a HEMI if I am going to keep at it. Cool pieces!

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350hr

Quote from: pbf777 on April 02, 2021, 10:48:36 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on April 02, 2021, 09:16:34 AM
They  could be "marine 427" heads but I thought thouse were low risers? Heads may not match the block. I think side oiler blocks are C5AE-A casting ID's?

The cylinder heads nor the block are of the typical sort used in the commercial "Marine" applications.  But if curious, most (if not all?) of the marine intention blocks had brass core plugs.     ;)

Scott.
You are correct that these would not be "H&M" style marine parts , but MANY period "flat bottom" ski/race boats ran blown medium risers without brass core plug blocks.The Enderle 'hat" is a mid 70's and later version . Same for the blower. The manifold does look more current now that I see it. As I said a "piece together" blown gas engine .

Harris Speedster

Guys,
Plenty of action and thoughts, let me say;
I started with the process of elimination.

from the beginning of posting it, all was speculation, and more or less, what type of racing was it being built for.

I doubt it was set for Nitro, which the early altered/funny cars etc never used as far as I know. ?
I think the block, heads etc were all in the process of being machined etc, like the poured pistons<

Street cars were out of the picture, NASCAR was out of picture, course track scca type racing was out of picture.
Left with Drag race and marine.
Freeze plug's lean towards street, but s pointed out, its all debatable. & I believe that.

Force, yeah, I have learned if you don't ask, you will never know. Force may know who had it, raced it, or had it banned, or may nothing at all.
it is experimental without doubt , >>>>>>>> and 427, yeah, it is just cool. >>>>>>

98SVT, such a cool picture and find >>>>>>>> WOW, would be cool to combine both, and have one real bad ass Mustang, might as well make it a Shelby then>>

It is neat to gather info on a piece that has been obscure>> forever !!
Thanks guys, it is a enjoyable & knowledgeable.
Respectfully
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

gt350hr

John Force only raced ONE Ford powered funnycar and it was the cammer powered , Jack Chrisman "sidewinder" . The car handled SO poorly it scared young John and he sold it almost immediately ( circa '74). Again I was "there , then".
   The "modern" Ford's he campaigned were virtual copies of a 426 Hemi fuel engine. I have been around drag racing since '64 and practically lived at the track , so I have above average knowledge on the subject.

Harris Speedster

Posted by: gt350hr,
I believe what your saying about Force.
Process of illumination.
I do not think it was built in the 70's at all.
1965-1967 maybe? Part numbers point that way?

Somebody has to know something about it?
this induction/blower/intake and parts,  were not a novice build, at least I don't think so.
John
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Harris Speedster

I think the most expensive Boss 9 in the world has a system like the FE model fuel injection we are discussing.

Key words of search, Force, Kaletta, a Al Extand?, United States army, Car craft, Ford and Bill Goldberg
LAWMAN, SUPER BOSS.

Maybe the right track, now to see who ran this FE set up in 65-66.
Cool !
Respectfully,
John

JUST FOUND MORE;
This system appears to be the beginning of fuel injection on ford race engines, made its way to "the first flip top cars', then into the SOHC, then into the BOSS 9

427heaven

John- I dont want to be the guy that rains on any ones parade but from my own experience I have a couple of HOLMAN MOODY race engines with all the goodies. I was told of who ran them and what they were capable of but in reality there was no way to prove any of it! One of my engines came out of a grand national circle boat from the mid 60s and was capable of 135 mph, named SPOOKY but all is for nothing without proof of some kind. There are hundreds of engines out their that were running blowers on them that have been shoved to the back of some ones garage and would be a racers idea of going fast with out Fords involvement. It is fun to think of who may have run that combo maybe some famous team, but in reality it could have been just as easily run by some guy with a penchant for speed.

Harris Speedster

427 heaven,
In an article that I read, it was used by select racers, then the cammer came.
Article said that the guys running without huge budgets , ran this system on their cars.
So yeah, you are correct.
But, every idea starts somewhere, and I am pretty sure that this is the beginning?

Bottom line is that it was built, it was used and then further developed more.Evidenced further by the $630 K LAWMAN
Kaletta did run a set up like this to, and I believe Dyno Don Nicholson.

I never paid any of it a second mind, until I noticed that many cammers ran a internal Injection into an intake under a blower, that surprised me, as I had never noticed that lack of carbs in many old pictures.

One may never know, this did come out of Coopers 50-60 year collection.
Going to be listed for sale herein SAAC
For all I know, it is from the flip top SVT placed the link on ?
Respectfully,
John

427heaven

Quote from: Harris Speedster on April 04, 2021, 08:52:01 AM
427 heaven,
In an article that I read, it was used by select racers, then the cammer came.
Article said that the guys running without huge budgets , ran this system on their cars.
So yeah, you are correct.
But, every idea starts somewhere, and I am pretty sure that this is the beginning?

Bottom line is that it was built, it was used and then further developed more.Evidenced further by the $630 K LAWMAN
Kaletta did run a set up like this to, and I believe Dyno Don Nicholson.

I never paid any of it a second mind, until I noticed that many cammers ran a internal Injection into an intake under a blower, that surprised me, as I had never noticed that lack of carbs in many old pictures.

One may never know, this did come out of Coopers 50-60 year collection.
Going to be listed for sale herein SAAC
For all I know, it is from the flip top SVT placed the link on ?
Respectfully,
John
I for one dig that setup! It began in the late 1950s adapting what is called a ROOTS type GMC blower, to basically anything that can ingest a force fed diet without exploding. The 6-71 blowers were used on top of all sorts of engines just different intake manifolds were developed to accept these type of blowers. You could run it on a small block Chevy a Hemi or anything else. Blown and injected was and is the ticket to making power. Connie Kalitta the patriarch of that racing dynasty ran 6-71 blowers back in the day , today they are 12-71 blowers and are very advanced to make 15,000 Horsepower and can run 1000 feet in 3 seconds. Unlike 600-700 HP from back in the day! Was that stuff from Wes Coopers stuff! :)

Harris Speedster

427 Heaven,
I too like things that have a WOW factor.
It is cool and I would bet sounds real good when running at full throttle.

I checked out the one link SVT posted, I actually believe this is the company that bought the company that built these for many years
Think their history page said around 1984.

I sent them the link at SAAC to see and hear what everybody thinks. Will be interesting to see what their archives have.
These belong to John Cooper in Michigan . Have sold a lot of his pieces here at SAAC over the past 4 -5 years.
Respectfully,
John

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Harris Speedster on April 03, 2021, 06:30:22 PM...... now to see who ran this FE set up in 65-66.

Speed Master who it looks like made your blower manifold opened for business in 1979.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350hr

John,
  Neither Kallita nor  Dyno Don never ran a blown Medium riser. Kallita ran one of THE first blown cammers in his dragster and Don didn't run a blower on his cammers until '68. As I said the blower and injectors are mid '70 vintage at best ( probably later). You are chasing history the doesn't exist , sorry. Early "fuel" altereds DID run nitro and it began use in funny cars in '66. I'm not downplaying the nice parts you have but "historical significance " won't be found.