Author Topic: Chase mode on my 2013 Laguna Seca  (Read 1478 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Chase mode on my 2013 Laguna Seca
« on: October 03, 2022, 01:48:07 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEfSivgKrxo

First try at a video using the chase mode viewpoint.  A GoPro may be in order to avoid the vibration of the phone lashed to my buddy's license plate frame.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Chase mode on my 2013 Laguna Seca
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 02:33:57 PM »

You sure have nerves of steel, we could never drive at those harrowing speeds on a twilight road...
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 03:51:40 PM »
No speed limit exceeded. Couldn't get my friend to go any faster than 55. He has some State Farm transponder on his car so wants to keep his insurance rates down. He also has a CDL. It was hard enough to get him to agree at all to do the exercise. As for the sound of the engine, it was all an illusion. His car was a Toyota and all I got was wind noise. So I parked the Boss in my driveway after the fact and recorded the engine for a minute at 3,000 rpm and spliced the track into the video. It's all illusory. Though the experiment was fun. Still better than CGI.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 04:26:31 PM »
No speed limit exceeded. ....
Video always looks faster. I was surprised when I was at a F150 commercial shoot. They kept the in car video under 25 mph or everything outside looked way too fast. That was the early days if Hi Def and the lighting setup took forever.
Get one of those gyro mounts for your phone. It'll help smooth things out. Some also are pretty trick and have tracking built in.

https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-mobile-6?vid=121851
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 04:57:20 PM »
No speed limit exceeded. Couldn't get my friend to go any faster than 55. He has some State Farm transponder on his car so wants to keep his insurance rates down. He also has a CDL. It was hard enough to get him to agree at all to do the exercise. As for the sound of the engine, it was all an illusion. His car was a Toyota and all I got was wind noise. So I parked the Boss in my driveway after the fact and recorded the engine for a minute at 3,000 rpm and spliced the track into the video. It's all illusory. Though the experiment was fun. Still better than CGI.

Again....harrowing speeds.....
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 06:43:28 PM »

Again....harrowing speeds.....
With nerves of plastic.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 06:47:12 PM »
No speed limit exceeded. ....
Video always looks faster. I was surprised when I was at a F150 commercial shoot. They kept the in car video under 25 mph or everything outside looked way too fast. That was the early days if Hi Def and the lighting setup took forever.
Get one of those gyro mounts for your phone. It'll help smooth things out. Some also are pretty trick and have tracking built in.

https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-mobile-6?vid=121851
That could work for my budding film career.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 10:19:45 PM »
Richard,
Whenever I'd shoot road test video, I'd set up for what I called the "shark shot." 

1. Position camera-man in back of the pickup or minivan that's in front of the test (subject) car. Shoot out of the tailgate, looking directly back.  It's tough to get non-shaky video with just a camera mount, but if you practice you can do it with a mount and a gyro. Easier to have a camera person, though.

2. Have the camera vehicle drive a consistent speed, on a straight road.

3. Have the subject car (the one chasing the camera car) quickly speed up to within a few feet of the rear bumper, than fade back, then charge up again, veering slightly side to side as if it's a shark chasing a fast bill-fish and trying to take a bite.

4. The camera vehicle rarely needs to be going over 35-40 mph, and the subject car only has to quickly accelerate from below that speed, starting from about four car lengths behind, to zoom up on the camera car like the aforementioned shark. Dodging side-to-side by the subject car (the camera vehicle stays on its trajectory) makes it look very menacing. 

5. If you want to spice it up even further, try it on a curvy road, but the difficulty level goes up by about 300%. 

6. Do it in the wet or on a dusty road, and it's 1000% as difficult, but produces some cool effects.

Crossboss can probably add some of his favorite techniques too.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 10:22:54 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 10:36:03 PM »
Thanks for the insight, Van!  All helpful suggestions.  This was a first effort.  I was rather inspired by the video of the 69 Boss 302 of Ken Adams chasing the 70 Boss of Jim Halsey.  It is rather hypnotic and hard to look away.  At least as far as I am wired.  Others might find it dull.  Not me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PI40-C6Pyg&t=132s

The charging up and receding techniques you suggested appear to be used here.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 11:20:55 PM »
Cool Sears Point video!   I'd surmise that Halsey has the more powerful car, but Adams might be the better driver.

Yeah, I can watch this stuff all day long.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick