Author Topic: Authentic Period photos needed of 1965 3 hole GT350 steering wheels  (Read 5990 times)

Jbarela

• View Profile
Re: Authentic Period photos needed of 1965 3 hole GT350 steering wheels
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2021, 01:07:27 PM »
Here are some pics.

Jbarela

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2021, 01:09:21 PM »
Close ups

gbart14

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2021, 02:47:06 PM »
This one looks like the first gen 3 hole wheel which I am calling Gen IIA with Gen I being the 16" wheel.

Am still looking for period photos taken back in the day showing steering wheels installed on Shelbys.

Thanks
SAAC Northwest President, current - 5S243 plus 65 Mustang coupe track car plus 2016 GT350, past 6S286

Jbarela

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2021, 07:22:44 PM »
And for note the bolt pattern for this 3 hole wheel does not match the later 15" slotted wheels bolt pattern. This wheel  came with an aluminum hub so maybe it's an early version of the 3 hole wheel that mates only to the aluminum hub as it wont mate to the chromed cast hub.

Benny

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2021, 12:30:40 AM »
Sports Car World Magazine March 1966. A 1965 Shelby GT350 arrives in Austrailia, there's a probability the car is 5S113 but it's unconfirmed.
6S1507

gbart14

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2021, 11:26:38 AM »
Benny, thanks for this. Excellent. First guess is this is a Gen IIA wheel with the early size holes. Hard to tell for sure.

FYI, I just learned that the first 3 hole wheels were drilled on a drill press. This meant that they were not all uniform from wheel to wheel or maybe on any given wheel. I have seen photos of early wheels with holes that looked a bit off on a given wheel. I could not measure them but it would be great to have that info. The Gen IIB wheels were stamped on a press and the wheel I am getting and the subsequent wheels that will soon be available for sale are stamped using the original tooling and, believe it or not, original wood from the original inventory. They will be more uniform. I received the first wheel a couple of weeks ago and the workmanship was superb but it was damaged in shipping so I am waiting for another. I will be at SAAC 46 with the new wheel if all goes well.
SAAC Northwest President, current - 5S243 plus 65 Mustang coupe track car plus 2016 GT350, past 6S286

gbart14

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2021, 12:40:13 PM »
Here is what I think I know, so far: The first gen 3 hole (Gen IIA) wheels where the two smaller holes are smaller in diameter than Gen IIB may have been supplied up through 5S118 based on photographs. There may be some Gen IIA wheels with inconsistent hole spacing because they were hand drilled. All of the 3 hole wheels that I have seen were supplied with chrome plated hubs (AKA Boss) with at least one exception where it looks like there was one or some wheels supplied with aluminum hubs fitted with the original Gen I bolt pattern. The original early bolt pattern from the 16" Cobra wheels was uniform spacing (from what I think I know) whereas the wheels supplied with the chrome plated hubs had wider spacing at the top of the wheel bolt pattern. I am looking for hard evidence and more detail.

The holes on the Gen IIA wheels measured in diameter approximately as follows: 0.89", 0.63", 0.48". (Thank you Scott Evans)
The Gen IIB wheels measured approximately as follows: .835", .665", .615" (Measured myself and confirmed on the original drawings). (Thank you Rich Williams for the loan of the original wheel)

Here are photos of each example and one of original manufacturer (FYI, I will be at Sonoma and would be happy to discuss this topic and receive more enlightenment. With luck, I will have the new wheel made on the original tooling with me.) Photos courtesy of Dave McDonald and now defunct World of Speed.

I expect these new wheels to be available for purchase within the next few weeks direct from the manufacturer. More to follow.

Benny

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2021, 08:06:58 AM »
Benny, thanks for this. Excellent. First guess is this is a Gen IIA wheel with the early size holes. Hard to tell for sure.

FYI, I just learned that the first 3 hole wheels were drilled on a drill press. This meant that they were not all uniform from wheel to wheel or maybe on any given wheel. I have seen photos of early wheels with holes that looked a bit off on a given wheel. I could not measure them but it would be great to have that info. The Gen IIB wheels were stamped on a press and the wheel I am getting and the subsequent wheels that will soon be available for sale are stamped using the original tooling and, believe it or not, original wood from the original inventory. They will be more uniform. I received the first wheel a couple of weeks ago and the workmanship was superb but it was damaged in shipping so I am waiting for another. I will be at SAAC 46 with the new wheel if all goes well.
I'll see if I can obtain a current photo of the steering wheel from 5S113, the car is still in Australia.
6S1507

gbart14

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2021, 09:40:59 AM »
Many thanks, Benny. Thanks for the support. This is getting to be a real brain twister. One day, I will try to put it all together into one story board. If anyone is around SAAC 46, I will be there and would love to discuss it. I hope to have the new Gen IIB 3 hole wheel with me and will bring it to the banquet on Saturday night.