Author Topic: SAAC Carolinas Spring 2021 Event at the Hickory Regional Airport - May 22, 2021  (Read 12746 times)

FlyNavy

• View Profile
Sounds good.  I've received a few photos of cars that are coming, hopefully everyone can send photos of their cars so I can use on our social media to attract the locals.  Been a positive reception so far since I announced the event. 

FlyNavy

• View Profile
Anyone who'd like to send me a car photo to use before our gathering, please do so.  The ones I've received have been posted and I think we're going to get a great turnout of spectators to come out to see the cars and aircraft.  I've arranged for our nearly finished complete F/A-18 cockpit to on site for everyone to sit in for photos, and I will relate a great story of this front fuselage and it's connection to our F/A-18 Blue Angels Hornet.  Also subject to appear, one of our volunteers has this beautiful PT-17 Stearman and as an added bonus, I've been told that scheduled to arrive on the day, is our newest aircraft, flying in from Charlotte is an OV-1D Mohawk that is now part of our museum.  Finally, after being closed for Covid for 15 months, the P-3C Orion aircraft is going to reopen for tours as well.   Hopefully the weather won't suck and ruin everything! 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 03:16:18 PM by FlyNavy »

Darrpo

• View Profile
  I got the Shelby out yesterday. It has been almost two years since I last started it. Planning to make the drive to Hickory. Looks to be about 84 miles for me.

FlyNavy

• View Profile
  I got the Shelby out yesterday. It has been almost two years since I last started it. Planning to make the drive to Hickory. Looks to be about 84 miles for me.

Give it a good once over!  What year? 

Darrpo

• View Profile
67-350 Its a FORD so not really worried.

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Hoping to be there, have some scheduling logistics we are still attempting to work out.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

FlyNavy

• View Profile
It's going to be a big day, and I appreciate everyone who is able to bring their cars.   I think the residents of Hickory who are planning on coming out are going to love seeing them.  The OV-1D Mohawk will definitely be flying in around 12:30ish and I know people want to come out and see this fly in.  We are a small not for profit 501C museum that does not charge admission and so events like this and potential donations from the public go a long way in financing our projects as we continue to grow and preserve aviation history.  Thanks again. 

6T6SHELBY

• View Profile
Checking for a friend -  just wanted to make sure the gathering is open to all Mustangs and not just Shelbys. Thanks!!!

BGlover67

• Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Checking for a friend -  just wanted to make sure the gathering is open to all Mustangs and not just Shelbys. Thanks!!!

Absolutely!  I'm bringing a '65 Mustang, and I asked a friend with a Pantera to come by.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

FlyNavy

• View Profile
Going to be a hot one tomorrow, sunscreen!  Plenty of shade under the plane wings and the terminal is air-conditioned with plenty of places to sit and cool off.  Upon arrival, those with trailers park on the left as soon as you enter airport grounds, please park and allow room for others as I have no clue how many cars are coming on trailers.  After unloading, continue down the parking lot and then turn left at the end of the terminal building and enter thru the gate underneath the P-3C Orion.  Museum volunteers and/or SAAC folks will help guide you through to park.  Park by your favorite aircraft and please park two or more cars between the aircraft, and there will be plenty of room for all.  No clue as to how many that might be, thinking maybe 20 cars or more?  The cafe will be open for lunch, or bring your own.  I will have coffee and donuts in the public room next to the cafe in the morning.  I've asked for cars to be in place between 9:30-10am.  At approximately 12:30-12:45 (hopefully) our newest acquisition OV-1 D Mohawk will be arriving at the airport to join our museum, will be very cool to see land and taxi near our planes and park for the day.   

TedS

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
"Gonna be a good day Tatta". Lots of cars here and more coming.

6T6SHELBY

• View Profile
I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their time and effort in putting this show on. We had a great time the location was perfect!!! Hopefully this will become an annual event.

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Bill-Sincere thanks for hosting this event.  Excellent venue! What a superb aviation museum! Huge turnout!  Perfect car show weather!  Wonderful seeing old friends again and making new ones.  Hope the local folks enjoyed seeing our cars with the planes.
5S071, 6S1467

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
My Wife and I had a Super time today and also the Hickory Aviation Museum and the Staff was Absolutely Amazing, very knowledgeable and most were Veterans which made it even more Special!! 

Rich & Carol
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 06:37:40 PM by 69mach351w »

Darrpo

• View Profile
Had a great time today at the show. It was a great location and was  very nice to park our cars next to the planes. My daughter followed me there in her 2008 Shelby for her first show with her car. It was good that my old Shelby was able to drive 80 + miles at 70/85 MPH at 2500/2800 rpm(thanks to the five speed trans). Looks like 11.5 MPG.