News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

4 speed clutch fork boot

Started by shelbydoug, July 11, 2023, 10:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

I've got an early, i.e., '60s version of the Lakewood bellhouse (scattershield) on my 67 GT500.

The hole for the clutch fork is 4.25" x 3.25". The stock boot doesn't even come close in size.

Lakewood is now owned by Holley and their Tech is totally useless. As we say, "like tits on a bull". Technically they washed their hands of it by saying it is "obsolete" since they no longer offer a Ford FE bell.

I have a friend who is a retired Ford racing parts reseller. He remembers the boot as being special and thinks he was using a Mr.Gasket boot, but doesn't remember the part number. He's been retired 17 years.

Mr.Gasket is now owned by Holley, so we have the same 15 year old working Tech. He can't talk for long since that will make him late for Home Room.

In all fairness it isn't just him. These boots are only listed as per their original application, not aftermarket and not cross referenced by size.

So the nature of the industry at the moment is that if it doesn't pop up in a Google search, then no one has an answer. The knowledge is strictly limited to being able to find it on the Internet. So I need to find someone with direct knowledge of the part.

Now considering that person is probably older then me, that might be a tough go.

A guy named Casey Stengel once managed the NY Yankees and then the expansion NY Mets in the early 1960's. At retirement age he was in his mid 70's and kept falling asleep on the bench.

A reporter asked him how he felt about his age and he said something to the effect of, "My age? Most of the people that I know who are my age are dead." So bearing that in mind, I still present the question to anyone left alive who remembers, what is the "application", the part number or the source for this boot.

Don't make me have to come out there and beat the crap out of you to get an answer. As a condition for my release, I had to promise the Judge that I would stop doing that.

Here's a picture that illustrates the issue.

I suppose the picture posting upside down on this website is somewhat appropriate but I had nothing to do with that?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Tough part. I wouldn't waste your time looking instead make something up using multiple pieces of vinyl or leather . Just like some of the custom shifter handle boots.It will be a piece of cake compared to some of the other unusual stuff you have rigged up.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 11, 2023, 01:19:20 PM
Tough part. I wouldn't waste your time looking instead make something up using multiple pieces of vinyl or leather . Just like some of the custom shifter handle boots.It will be a piece of cake compared to some of the other unusual stuff you have rigged up.

I've had the bell since 1985 or so. I can be patient.

I think at this point, it's the principle of the thing? I can be stubborn also.

Leather? I've been thinking suede. Whatda' think?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SFM5S000

Hey Doug,

Try a Hurst shifter boot. The second billow up measures 3 1/2 x 4 3/4. The base is proportionally larger. The basic shape is correct. Let me know I'll post a pic.

Cheers
~Earl J

Okay, here ya go. You'll need to get a little creative, but you can do it.
Another note before you post a pic, edit it. Spin the image 180* (degrees) before you post it. Thank you.

tesgt350

Quote from: shelbydoug on July 11, 2023, 01:26:24 PM

If you use Suede, you just HAVE to have Tassels.

shelbydoug

Quote from: tesgt350 on July 11, 2023, 03:09:41 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on July 11, 2023, 01:26:24 PM

If you use Suede, you just HAVE to have Tassels.

I thought of that but you are opening Pandora's box. Then you need to pick the correct colors.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

Quote from: SFM5S000 on July 11, 2023, 02:45:38 PM
Hey Doug,

Try a Hurst shifter boot. The second billow up measures 3 1/2 x 4 3/4. The base is proportionally larger. The basic shape is correct. Let me know I'll post a pic.

Cheers
~Earl J

Okay, here ya go. You'll need to get a little creative, but you can do it.
Another note before you post a pic, edit it. Spin the image 180* (degrees) before you post it. Thank you.
I don't know if I can live with the H? I need a better quality then what you get from Hurst.

Why bother rotating the picture, just flip your computer?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

kram350

Why not open the hole to fit a stock Ford boot?

shelbydoug

Quote from: kram350 on July 11, 2023, 09:37:05 PM
Why not open the hole to fit a stock Ford boot?

Because the stock Ford boot is SMALLER, 3-1/4 X 2-1/4".
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

I do not recall there really ever having been a specific boot offered for the Lakewood bellhousings, as for example not all models even exhibit the same size hole cut in the side of them.   :o

Obviously, most in the past have just not concerned themselves with this issue of a boot not being present, and this hasn't proven to be the cause of any great problems as such.   ;)

Scott.

kram350

Bob Gaines

Quote from: pbf777 on July 12, 2023, 09:15:55 AM
I do not recall there really ever having been a specific boot offered for the Lakewood bellhousings, as for example not all models even exhibit the same size hole cut in the side of them.   :o

Obviously, most in the past have just not concerned themselves with this issue of a boot not being present, and this hasn't proven to be the cause of any great problems as such.   ;)

Scott.
+1
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby