Author Topic: THE RAILROAD CARS  (Read 24905 times)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: THE RAILROAD CARS
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2018, 03:01:03 PM »
Side-Oilers,

That most definitely describes the current condition of California! It's time to stop the MADNESS!!!!

And Washington.

Our loons copy everything your loons do.   :-\

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2018, 03:06:17 PM »

What are you thinking? STOP them at the border! Build the WALL!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2018, 05:09:36 PM »
Too late. We are already have been Californicated. We even have our own moonbeam. Moonbeam Inslee. You will see more of him as he runs for POTUS on the Carbon tax to fix Climate Change platform.

George Schalk

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2018, 06:42:05 PM »
Does anyone have pictures they'd be willing to post of the train wreck or of the Shelby's after the wreck showing the damage ? 

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2018, 08:30:06 PM »
There would have been no insurance company involved. The railroads self insure. I could see some big wig at the crash site making a decision that a car was a total loss and not worth hauling back to the storage place and trying to recoup a few hundred dollars as salvage. At that time junk yards were paying $25 for a car you drove in. I can also see that RR worker going back with a couple buddies and digging it up. Of the cars listed are any not in the registry?
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2018, 09:09:20 PM »
Fourteen cars are listed in the registry as derailment cars.  The rail cars held fifteen cars, so either there were only fourteen on the rail car, or one is not listed.  If they were bringing fourteen cars back with various degrees of damage, why not bring all fifteen.  There has to be some memo somewhere in S.A.I files pertaining to the cars, to date nothing has surfaced.

I have compiled a spreadsheet containing all fourteen cars, their number, and where they were being shipped.  Unfortunately, the spreadsheet does not paste on the forum in any readable form.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2018, 11:32:47 PM »
There has to be some memo somewhere in S.A.I files pertaining to the cars, to date nothing has surfaced.
Maybe not once they were shipped they no longer owned them. One source might be a parts invoice for multiple fiberglass parts to one place shortly after the wreck.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2018, 07:22:36 AM »
I communicated with Greek over this for a while and I'd like to make a guess that the car that was buried is car no. 2147, a Brittany Blue GT350, 4 speed.  DSO 2591.  Check out the Registry.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Bigblock

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2018, 09:10:45 AM »
How cool is it to think that there might be a long lost wrecked '67 Shelby buried under the sand?

Lets have the guys from Oak Island, Civil War Lake Michigan Gold, and the Amelia Earhart guys start digging. ;)

Dizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2018, 10:10:42 AM »
Back in late '60's and early '70's we would go to Calumet Auto Wrecking in Hammond ( from Boom to Zoom )to see all the late model engines on display in their showroom. You could see most any of the really "hot" engines there,from Tripower 435 hp 'vette to Hemis,440 six pack MoPar and a few HiPo Fords.Most came from wrecked on highway cars or some theft recovery and burned cars,etc. Those high performance engines and related parts were very expensive and never within most young mens reach.My point is that when these factory hot rods got parted out they brought big dollars and big dollars attract criminals. I used to bid on insurance salvage cars and was amazed at the winning bids for some meatballs that were 396 Camaro/Chevelle,Corvette,etc. that wrecking yards bought to part out. I had a friend that bought a complete Pontiac 389 w/tripower to put in his'55 Chevy. Seems he paid $1000 for engine/trans in '68-'69. Some railroads may have been self-insured but knew how to recoup on losses at railroad salvage outlets. That is where it got ugly. Money is the root of all evil :-\
 Research those outlets for any oldtimers that might still be around,or out of jail  ;D

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2018, 04:12:30 PM »
I have pictures of 2240. The current and original owners son shared this with me,

My father bought the blue GT350 from the Santa Fe salvage yard in San Bernardino California. There were 14 cars on their was to the upper Midwest when the train derailed. Two cars we damaged but the Santa Fe policy was they must buy all of the product. My father and grandfather were long time railroaders and got first dibs on the cars. You have to hear my fathers version of the cars on the lot. He tells of a special order 427 with a supercharger but I have never been able to validate it. Anyhow he purchased #2240 for my mother and brought it home to

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2018, 05:15:48 PM »
I have pictures of 2240. The current and original owners son shared this with me,

My father bought the blue GT350 from the Santa Fe salvage yard in San Bernardino California. There were 14 cars on their was to the upper Midwest when the train derailed. Two cars we damaged but the Santa Fe policy was they must buy all of the product. My father and grandfather were long time railroaders and got first dibs on the cars. You have to hear my fathers version of the cars on the lot. He tells of a special order 427 with a supercharger but I have never been able to validate it. Anyhow he purchased #2240 for my mother and brought it home to

Interesting information, but raises a few questions. 

1.  If he is saying these cars were being transported by Santa Fe, how does Southern Pacific get involved?  SPRR sold all of the cars after picking them up from Santa Fe Salvage Depot.

2.  I know 2759 and I believe my car, #2339 were damaged.  Hard to believe there were only two.

3.  Does the current owner of 2240 now any details of the derailment?

4.  The latest registry states the Santa Fe Salvage Depot was in Los Angeles, CA not San Bernardino.

Greek

Builder 2

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2018, 10:12:18 PM »
Has to be quite a few people that worked on the crew to rerail the train. Question is are they alive anymore?

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2018, 08:18:45 AM »
Fourteen cars are listed in the registry as derailment cars.  The rail cars held fifteen cars, so either there were only fourteen on the rail car, or one is not listed.  If they were bringing fourteen cars back with various degrees of damage, why not bring all fifteen.  There has to be some memo somewhere in S.A.I files pertaining to the cars, to date nothing has surfaced.

I have compiled a spreadsheet containing all fourteen cars, their number, and where they were being shipped.  Unfortunately, the spreadsheet does not paste on the forum in any readable form.

Greek
screen shot the spread sheet  and post as a pic.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2018, 10:06:48 AM »

Greek
screen shot the spread sheet  and post as a pic.

Thanks, I will try that.