News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

THE RAILROAD CARS

Started by papa scoops, April 11, 2018, 12:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

I'm not sure the rail carrier for the Vega's would fit any other cars from GM. Seems like we only ever see it with Vega's nothing else.
I was thinking the same thing about fluid leaks.  :o
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Side-Oilers

Vega/Astre/Starfire/Skyhawk/Monza platform would likely all be very similar (give or take an inch or two.)

But, I have no idea if that vertical system was a Chevy-only experiment.  SOMETHING about it was a bad enough idea to keep the rest of GM, and the industry, from adopting it (AFAIK).
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Richstang

Were getting off topic...but that's my fault for posting this GM video.

I completely forgot about the Monza/Starfire/Skyhawk, and I drove my sister's V8 Monza for a short time.

The Monza was 4 inches longer than the Vega, which might explain why we don't see them on the rail car/Verta-Packs.
GM fit thirty (30) Vegas vs fifteen (15) cars following the normal method, saving some $ on the delivery costs.
The Vega was engineered for vertical shipping with oil baffles. Maybe the Monza wasn't.

98SVT - was 06GT

Car transport cars were costly to rent. They were 3-4 times as expensive as a box car. One line owns a car and gets paid a daily rental rate by whatever companies track the car is on. That fee was in addition to the per mile charge which was about $1.50 20 years ago when I looked into buying a caboose. The Vega idea was to reduce shipping costs 24 cars vs 15 on regular car.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Richstang

One of the railroad derailment cars, #02270, had two SA '1967 GT 350 / GT 500 Mustang Production Order's (PO's issued).

The first PO was a typical form version with the standard typed info about the car and the hand written dealer name who ordered it (where it was shipped).
-The only difference is the bold hand written note over the entire form "REPLACED / RR Accident".

The second PO was issued after the RR incident. ALL the info is now hand written on the form.
-In the upper left it has a hand written note "RR08". Could this mean it was the 8th car in the derailment?
-The DEALER name is hand written "HOR – Southern Pacific RR". We assume HOR = Home Office Reserve
-The OTHER section has a hand written note "Damaged in RR Accident    Bought and Picked up by RR on 9/12"

It would be nice to compare more PO's for the other cars involved in this derailment.
I'm speculating they will have a different "RR--" number at the top left, but the same identical DEALER and OTHER hand written notes. 
Perhaps one of these other cars will confirm the 15th car on the train car. It's worth a look if you have one of these derailment cars with two PO's.

greekz

Here is the information on 2339.  Hopefully, others will post theirs.

SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Richstang

Thank you Greek!!!
:)

This appears to be the second PO issued, based on all the hand written info added.
The first PO would have all the car specific info typed. Do you have that one by any chance?

The handwriting style, slant, etc. is an exact match to the second PO on #2270!

RR05...that's was what I was expecting, a different number after RR. Now we know two of these!

I'm sure you noticed the invoice for #2239 was typed up on 6/28 when it was sent to Larry Lange Ford. I'd guess at that point the derailment had not happened yet, or at the least was not yet reported back to SAI. As you know (we discussed previously), the last of the known 14 cars is noted as shipped on 6/28. Your invoice fits in nicely with that timeline. #2270, also a Larry Lange Ford destination car, had the same 6/28 typed up invoice date.

greekz

Rich,

Unfortunately, this is the only PO I have.

My guess the derailment happened sometime between 6/29 and 7/5, because 2340, was a replacement for a damaged car and was shipped on 7/7.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Richstang

Quote from: greekz on August 15, 2019, 11:12:25 PM
Rich,

Unfortunately, this is the only PO I have.

My guess the derailment happened sometime between 6/29 and 7/5, because 2340, was a replacement for a damaged car and was shipped on 7/7.

Yes, I agree. The registry has the first two replacement cars noted as shipped on 7/7.

Sorry to hear you don't have the first PO. It may not exist from SAAC (Dave) if you didn't get it with the other.

jguyer

And what says "Christmas" like trying to recreate the 1967 Shelby Train Wreck?

"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

Side-Oilers

Way Cool...!!!   Pour a bucket of sandy dirt on the floor, and bury a couple of the cars, for total realism(?)
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Road Reptile

Hi,
Just a quick update on the rail invoices-much like Richstang points out-it appears all cars involved in the rail incident had a second invoice made up for the replacement car sent.
I have RR06 which is for 67210F7A02759 Replaced by 2762 and it has a stamped shipping date of June 22 ...as mentioned previously we think the derailment happened between the end of June and
the July 4th weekend....still possibly as late as  July 7th and we finally know that Santa Fe Salvage had a holding yard in San Bernadino we also have learned that the salvage price was most likely based on the "cost "  price of each unit,and the salvage company had to buy the entire shipment. Still many unanswered questions but a few blanks filled in. Now if we could find a former Hadley
transport driver and learn their process it would be huge to help figure this out completely...I hope to learn the date most of all.
Thanks for all that have contributed to this and please keep at it !!
Regards R.R.   

Richstang

Quote from: Road Reptile on December 14, 2019, 01:25:54 PM
Hi,
Just a quick update on the rail invoices-much like Richstang points out-it appears all cars involved in the rail incident had a second invoice made up for the replacement car sent.
I have RR06 which is for 67210F7A02759 Replaced by 2762 and it has a stamped shipping date of June 22 ...as mentioned previously we think the derailment happened between the end of June and
the July 4th weekend....still possibly as late as  July 7th and we finally know that Santa Fe Salvage had a holding yard in San Bernadino we also have learned that the salvage price was most likely based on the "cost "  price of each unit,and the salvage company had to buy the entire shipment. Still many unanswered questions but a few blanks filled in. Now if we could find a former Hadley
transport driver and learn their process it would be huge to help figure this out completely...I hope to learn the date most of all.
Thanks for all that have contributed to this and please keep at it !!
Regards R.R.

RR,
Please confirm the replacement car number for #02759. The registry notes that #02763 was that replacement unit.

FYI; We've narrowed the train derailment to happen between 6/28 and 7/7

Richstang

It might be helpful to note the RR#s for all the cars looking for any gaps to confirm if there was in fact a 15th car.
I have RR05, RR06, and RR08 noted to date. Anyone know any of the others with the SAI VIN numbers.
If not, I'll check with Dave AFTER he finishes up with the Registry updates.