Author Topic: Another 1966 GT350 Tachometer Question  (Read 3823 times)

Benny

• View Profile
Another 1966 GT350 Tachometer Question
« on: April 12, 2021, 07:39:39 PM »
My tach has the chrome cup, did Faria make the chrome cup tachs or black krinkle only or both? I also have the high mounted Cobra so is it correct they were early production? Further to this, there is know date stamping on my tach & three wires from the rear cup. I also note the screw plate on mine mounts to the rear & not to the front like the black krinkle tachs, thanks for any help :).
6S1507

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
Re: Another 1966 GT350 Tachometer Question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 01:57:57 PM »
   6S477 has the same "top logo" tach and a "stainless' cup ( now I believe from an over the counter version) and a conventional mounting bracket that has been chrome plated. With only one owner between Hertz and me , I believe the second owner did this. I plan on painting both back to wrinkle black in the future. I have never seen any proof that chrome cups were installed on them by SAI. "I" did the one on 6S240 when I owned it because I liked the look.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Benny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 05:04:07 PM »
   6S477 has the same "top logo" tach and a "stainless' cup ( now I believe from an over the counter version) and a conventional mounting bracket that has been chrome plated. With only one owner between Hertz and me , I believe the second owner did this. I plan on painting both back to wrinkle black in the future. I have never seen any proof that chrome cups were installed on them by SAI. "I" did the one on 6S240 when I owned it because I liked the look.

Hi Randy, based on what you've said would it be fair to say the tach I have is the "over the counter version" & not the black wrinkle type directly installed buy Shelby American into 1966 GT350's?
6S1507

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 06:32:05 PM »
That's an original Shelby tach for a 1966 GT350. And it's the early verion with the Cobra logo on top. Yes, the stainless/chrome cup usually indicates an OTC part. But once you put it inside a black wrinkle cup with a proper mounting bracket, no one will be able to tell if it's OTC or as installed at SA. Very nice tach!

Steve

Benny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 07:47:19 PM »
That's an original Shelby tach for a 1966 GT350. And it's the early verion with the Cobra logo on top. Yes, the stainless/chrome cup usually indicates an OTC part. But once you put it inside a black wrinkle cup with a proper mounting bracket, no one will be able to tell if it's OTC or as installed at SA. Very nice tach!

Steve
Hi Steve, thanks for letting me know its an early version OTC Shelby Tach for a 66 GT350. I'll leave the stainless/chrome cup in the original condition its in. Knowing its OTC, allows me to buy an original unrestored wrinkle black Shelby GT350 tacho, I just need to wait until one comes onto the market for sale, cheers.
6S1507

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 08:16:24 PM »

Steve
Hi Steve, thanks for letting me know its an early version OTC Shelby Tach for a 66 GT350. I'll leave the stainless/chrome cup in the original condition its in. Knowing its OTC, allows me to buy an original unrestored wrinkle black Shelby GT350 tacho, I just need to wait until one comes onto the market for sale, cheers.
The only difference between the over the counter 9K tach and the assemblyline tach is the finish on the cup. You can easily refinish the chrome cup in the wrinkle black finish. It is more desirable that way. 99.9 % of people looking for the Cobra tachs want them the way they came from Shelby American. They early face style is the hardest to find and sells for the most $. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Benny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 09:19:21 PM »

Steve
The only difference between the over the counter 9K tach and the assemblyline tach is the finish on the cup. You can easily refinish the chrome cup in the wrinkle black finish. It is more desirable that way. 99.9 % of people looking for the Cobra tachs want them the way they came from Shelby American. They early face style is the hardest to find and sells for the most $.
Hi Bob, thanks for your input & words of wisdom but I'll leave the tach in its OTC state. Although its not as desirable as assembly line black wrinkle tachs the OTC version in its own way, is still unique. I appreciate your input & thank you for your time, cheers.
6S1507

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 11:25:59 AM »

Hi Randy, based on what you've said would it be fair to say the tach I have is the "over the counter version" & not the black wrinkle type directly installed buy Shelby American into 1966 GT350's?

Benny,
       "I" do not believe the "top logo" was "ever" available over the counter. Production only. OTC tachs were "bottom logo" and the logo was usually larger in diameter. The "top logo tachs have never been reproduced , HOWEVER , there are some "overlay stickers" out there that "could" convert one. I do not believe this is the case with yours as the needle and red line needle are correct for an assembly line "early" tach.
Others may have a different opinion/ experience and i welcome additional input.
   Randy
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 11:30:09 AM by gt350hr »

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 01:01:49 PM »
     Benny,
       "I" do not believe the "top logo" was "ever" available over the counter. Production only. OTC tachs were "bottom logo" and the logo was usually larger in diameter. The "top logo tachs have never been reproduced , HOWEVER , there are some "overlay stickers" out there that "could" convert one. I do not believe this is the case with yours as the needle and red line needle are correct for an assembly line "early" tach.
   Randy

Randy,

I was wondering about that too.  The Aug '66 SA Parts & Accessories catalog does show a top logo tach, which also looks to have a black bracket. Possible this is a staged photo?

Dave
Dave - 6S1757

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 03:09:26 PM »
     I agree Dave ,
    That catalog looked like production parts photos. Over the years I have been fortunate to have had several previously unopened SAI and Ford OTC tachs and they were all bottom logo versions. If you look at 252 "carryovers " and the rest of a 1,000 unit order , you would "potentially" have 748 (or so) '66 models with them. I wish SAAC had SAI purchase orders in their stash of company paperwork , it would be an eye opener.
    Randy

Benny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 07:14:55 PM »

Benny,
   Randy
Thanks Randy, so it's fair to say I have an early production Shelby tach with correct rev & red line needles with upper Cobra? I really appreciate your input.
6S1507

S7MS427

• View Profile
    • S-Tech Enterprises, LLC
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 07:47:55 PM »
Benny,

You'll never get steered wrong by Randy.  The man is an amazing wealth of experience and knowledge.
Roy Simkins
http://www.S-TechEnt.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

Benny

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 08:27:49 AM »
Benny,

You'll never get steered wrong by Randy.  The man is an amazing wealth of experience and knowledge.

That's great to hear Roy, that Randy has the good medicine, I really appreciate his & everyone else's Shelby knowledge on the forum.
6S1507

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 11:38:42 AM »
  There is "some" value to being "an old guy from So Cal". I admit to always having an eye for something "out of place" or different.

Benny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2021, 07:53:04 PM »
  There is "some" value to being "an old guy from So Cal". I admit to always having an eye for something "out of place" or different.
Too right Randy & great interview of you & your Shelby on You Tube with Mustang Connection, nice GT350 you have there.
6S1507