Author Topic: New Cobra Engine Bay Pictures Wanted / Automatic Transmissions  (Read 2455 times)

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
A relatively small number of late Cobras were fitted with HP289 engines built for use with automatic transmission and C4 automatic transmissions. I have failed to find any new car road tests showing the engine compartment of one of these cars. I have seen a factory advertisement showing the gear lever in a cockpit.

Now I am seeking new car pictures that original owners might have taken of their new toys. Know of any? I sure would like to get copies as we have some questions on how the engine installations were completed.

Thanks for looking.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: New Cobra Engine Bay Pictures Wanted / Automatic Transmissions
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 08:49:04 AM »
Dan, I assume you subscribe to the Cobra Experience online Registry. There are a number of engine compartment photos of the automatic cars. Is there a particular angle or area you need shots of?

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 10:08:54 AM »
Dan, I assume you subscribe to the Cobra Experience online Registry. There are a number of engine compartment photos of the automatic cars. Is there a particular angle or area you need shots of?
I went through all 15 automatic, plus the prototype, photos in the online Registry and did not find any engine compartment shots.

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 11:09:43 AM »
Thanks Ned and Jim,

I have looked through many hundreds of new Cobra pictures in online and private caches of images. I have gone through my magazines covering new cars 1964-1966 twice. I just have come up with nothing for the engine installations in the automatic transmission Cobras.

The subjects I specifically chase relate to the engines being 1965 Model year Fairlane engines. Ford changed many parts in engines in the transition from 1964 model year and 1965 model year BUT since Shelby American did not stay in strict revision level order on many things I have some questions about:

1964 secondary ignition wires or 1965? (Engines from Ford would have had 1965 model year linen core wires. Did SA leave them or revert to 1964 steel core wire assemblies?)

1964 PCV valve and ancillaries or 1965? (Engines came from Ford with PCV systems installed but SA removed them to install aluminum rocker arm covers. SA also added an aluminum tube and ancillaries. I am pretty sure how Ford shipped the engines and Bob Mannel is a great resources to work with but what did SA do going back together for the few 1965 engines?)

1964 generator engine oil dip stick tube and dip stick or 1965 alternator engine parts?

1964 dress up air cleaner or 1965 dress up air cleaner?

Where were the ignition coils installed as the cars left SA?

Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 11:12:31 AM »
A-Snake, that makes me wonder how things are configured. I have put many shots up, and have no idea why you wouldn't be able to see them. Here are some:

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 11:50:19 AM »
I do not see those engine images on my screen when on the Registry.

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 03:07:36 PM »
I have two separate areas for photos. One is "exterior images" and the other is "interior images." Since it seems an engine bay isn't an exterior image, I put them into the second category.

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 03:30:56 PM »
I have two separate areas for photos. One is "exterior images" and the other is "interior images." Since it seems an engine bay isn't an exterior image, I put them into the second category.

Here's what I see under ORIGINAL INTERIOR. Those little image icons do not open.

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 09:14:18 AM »
Somehow "standard flat flare" is coming up as "standard slab side." That's not what was originally laid down.