Author Topic: 1969 re-assembly  (Read 2370 times)

corbins

• View Profile
1969 re-assembly
« on: April 22, 2021, 07:04:35 PM »
I'm helping a friend reassemble a 69 FB . It was purchased painted and rolling  with a bunch of boxes of parts.
I see a hole in each outer wheelhouse .... brake cooling ducts?
Also  found 2 pieces - fiberglass with similar holes in them ... related to above ?
He may have to buy assembly manuals.. Shelby specific
One more... wat type of rivets for vin tag on dash and Shelby plate on apron .. steel ?

Thanks for any help !
Steve
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 07:09:13 PM by corbins »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: 1969 re-assembly
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 07:26:48 PM »
I'm helping a friend reassemble a 69 FB . It was purchased painted and rolling  with a bunch of boxes of parts.
I see a hole in each outer wheelhouse .... brake cooling ducts?

Possibly depending on the hole size. If for the brake ducting then there will be screw holes near the larger hole also

Also  found 2 pieces - fiberglass with similar holes in them ... related to above ?

Can't be certain with out a picture. For the holes mentioned above there is a flexible hose and a metal ring that gets inserted into the end of the hose and helps hold the end to the wheel house

One more... wat type of rivets for vin tag on dash and Shelby plate on apron .. steel ?

No "Shelby Plate" used in the engine compartment. Sure the Mustang and Shelby assembly manuals will be of great help though the can have some details not applied to real cars
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

aj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 01:38:25 AM »
Photo from rear wheel well

aj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 01:41:13 AM »
Photo from inside quarter panel showing air plenum behind the 69/70 side scoop.  Routes into rear brake duct component
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 01:56:29 AM by aj »

aj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 01:44:30 AM »
Photo of flat metal ring that supplements/secures rubber ducting to hole in wheel well

aj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 01:54:19 AM »
Photo of air plenum that is located behind 69/70 shelby side scoops (inside quarter panels). 

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 09:04:13 PM »
Jeff, AJ, thanks very much !!  Very helpful. Now I'm trying to figure out the front fender rear splash shields. I dont see any mounting holes at firewall pinchweld where one would normally see the three holes for the mounting screws ??

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 09:20:55 PM »
Jeff, AJ, thanks very much !!  Very helpful. Now I'm trying to figure out the front fender rear splash shields. I dont see any mounting holes at firewall pinchweld where one would normally see the three holes for the mounting screws ??

Don't know what has been done or replaced on your particular car. Originally the two facing inward were often covered (the hole and threads) when looking at the area from the outside of the car with the shields removed.  But sure you have looked up and down and on both sides already
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 06:19:48 PM »

Don't know what has been done or replaced on your particular car. Originally the two facing inward were often covered (the hole and threads) when looking at the area from the outside of the car with the shields removed.  But sure you have looked up and down and on both sides already
Thanks Jeff , will double check, but so far I see no signs of any fender rear splash shields ever being installed. Unless whoever did the body/paint work decided to weld em up for some reason. Appreciate the respose !

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 08:05:40 PM »
For those following along or reading this series of posts later