News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Looking to build out a 67 BME TA Cougar Replica.

Started by propayne, April 25, 2021, 04:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1109RWHP

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 27, 2021, 02:03:30 PM
I have a used tach drive Accel and a new in the box tach drive Accel both for sale if anyone needs one. I forgot about them until this subject came up. 30201T is on the used one and the NOS one is marked 37200T. I bought them years ago for a open track project that came and went. PM if interested.

Is the 37200T for an FE motor?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 1109RWHP on April 27, 2021, 07:23:43 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 27, 2021, 02:03:30 PM
I have a used tach drive Accel and a new in the box tach drive Accel both for sale if anyone needs one. I forgot about them until this subject came up. 30201T is on the used one and the NOS one is marked 37200T. I bought them years ago for a open track project that came and went. PM if interested.

Is the 37200T for an FE motor?
Yes I double checked and it is for a FE.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TA Coupe

I would post the small block one on the BOSS forum because I believe someone was looking for 1 A month or so ago and you should be able sell it fairly quickly.  How much are you asking for it?

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 27, 2021, 04:31:57 PM
So the GT40's would all use a mechanical tach? Interesting piece. Thanks for the info gentlemen.

Bob does/did your T/A car have one?
Yes .Here is a picture of Titus in his 68 TA car at Mid Ohio in 68. You can see the tach drive cable coming off of the distributor.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TA Coupe on April 27, 2021, 09:56:06 PM
I would post the small block one on the BOSS forum because I believe someone was looking for 1 A month or so ago and you should be able sell it fairly quickly.  How much are you asking for it?

Roy
I will do. 250.00 with tach drive cable and SW tach drive tach.

shelbydoug

Look at all that Aeroquip! How sacrilegious. Shelby must have been away in Africa? ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

Bob as an FYI the dist in your picture is the electronic version used with the Galaxie/ Tbird/ Truck transistorized ignition module. The orange silicone stainless steel core wire was also used with that system. "Some" of the distributors were point style. By "my" serial number tracking , "around" 400 were made.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: gt350hr on April 28, 2021, 10:52:59 AM
  Bob as an FYI the dist in your picture is the electronic version used with the Galaxie/ Tbird/ Truck transistorized ignition module. The orange silicone stainless steel core wire was also used with that system. "Some" of the distributors were point style. By "my" serial number tracking , "around" 400 were made.
Randy, I figure the orange solid core wire was the same wire typically seen used on many 60's competition engines. Interesting to note that the solid core wire plays havoc with electronic ignitions because of the unshielded electrical interference it puts out. I know they are not supposed to be used with any modern ignition systems for that reason.  I am surprised it didn't effect the transistorized ignitions of the day in a negative way ether.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 28, 2021, 07:08:41 AM
Look at all that Aeroquip! How sacrilegious. Shelby must have been away in Africa? ;)
It seems that racers SA and otherwise seemed to start using the anodized different color AN fittings more and more from around 66 on up . At least it appears that way from vintage photos.  Does that jive with what you have seen?

shelbydoug

I never saw a T/A car in the day with the hood up or for that matter a GT40 that anyone could get that close to.

The first time I remember seeing braided metallic hoses at all were on the 427 Cobra oil coolers and then that started a debate that it wasn't original, that the crimped steel hose ends and matching hoses were.

I'd speculate that it was the independents that started to use it once they started replacing hoses?

In SA's case, the location at the airport just opened doors to them in sort of a progressive way and it took some time to start discovering and considering it probably first for fuel lines.

Having said that, I don't ever remember seeing it on factory Comp roadster or even a coupe. Those were all auto part store rubber fuel hose with worm clamps even on the Webers.

It does open the door to T/A cars particularly those raced by independents, which really is the majority of them. So now, if you want to be "period correct" maybe "Aeroquip", which was the most readily available brand then, IS correct?

Not to denigrate Shel, but he was a cheapskate on many things as well and I can't see him spending $3.50 a foot for fuel hose PLUS the fittings vs. $.50 a foot as a popular thought to run by him.

He probably would have thrown a wrench at Phil Remington if he suggested that?  ;D

I CAN envision a scenario in which he would need it for Lemans and let the "Deuce" pay for it then. Yes. That I could see.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

Bob ,
   Solid wires do not bother "true" transistorized ignitions. They do wreak havoc with "capacitive discharge" designs like "most" modern aftermarket electronic ignitions are.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

1109RWHP

1109RWHP

I am running one of the Motorsport/MSD units.

SFM5S000

Very Nice  distributor. That's the M-12127-A304 I believe. I'd prefer that or the MSD labeled one. Are the orange Firecore wires readily available?

Thanks,
~Earl J

1109RWHP