Author Topic: Looking to build out a 67 BME TA Cougar Replica.  (Read 12123 times)

propayne

• View Profile
Looking to build out a 67 BME TA Cougar Replica.
« on: April 25, 2021, 04:05:21 PM »
I've recreated the Bud Moore Engineering Cougars liveries - both the 1967 Trans-Am and 1968 Grand American versions.

There is also this outfit :

http://www.racelinedigital.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_148

They claim their's is the most accurate but I see a couple of things I would take issue with - but they are probably the most cost effective.

Don't think I've ever seen pics of the TA Cougars running Minilites in '67.

PM me if you are interested.

And thanks for building a Cougar - can't wait to see it when you are done!

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Re: Looking to build out a 67 BME TA Cougar Replica.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 04:34:07 PM »
Hi Phillip-  Thank you for the note.  I'll get a hold of you when I am a bit closer on that piece of the project. I think I saw you comment on some forum that you did them for one of the original cars when it was restored... You are correct on the Minilites... I believe it was either Magstars or steel wheels in 67.  But, I've always wanted to do a car w/Minilites...  Also, I really wanted to buy, not build, but there are zero out there...that really surprises me.
Tom - DFW, Texas

Krelboyne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 04:43:40 PM »
Looking forward to this too.
Do you already have a Cougar? Consider a 1968, they have passenger side torque boxes, and better strut rods. You would not want to use 1967 articulated Cougar strut rods.
Big Ford, 12 inch K/H four piston front disc brakes?

I also am interested in the FI conversion. Looking forward to suggestions.
From watching various youtuber, results yield greater drivability, and MPG's.

Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 04:51:32 PM »
Scott-  I wanted a 67 (again, my OCD!), but I did end up with a 68 (just have to get it here now!).  Spot-on on regarding the 2 Torque Boxes vs 1 only on the driver side.  I just found that out about 2 months ago.  Plus, I understand the 67's did not have a collapsable steering column... So, that's a plus ( I am sure Ralph Nader would be pleased too!).  We may need to do a separate thread on the FI...  Last car I did I was able to get a really nice 715...for $350.  Now, they are more than the 600HP FI kits.  SMH.  Thank you for the support & kind words guy's.  I'm trying to help re-cycle parts vs. getting all new, help clean out some shelves or garages and get you guy's (and gals) some pocket change in the process.
Tom - DFW, Texas

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 05:00:05 PM »
And thanks for building a Cougar - can't wait to see it when you are done!

No part info, but if I may be permitted to interject a comment:

Ditto about building a Courgar. IMHO one of the most beautifuly styled cars to come out of Detroit and even stands up in comparison to super car styling (think Ferrari) in Europe during that era.

As for build, I would opt for 289/302 to maintain the car's race DNA.
EFI is ok but would go with a throttle body applicantion and not port style. Once again, DNA
Important thing is to build it and then drive it. And I mean a lot.

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 05:29:11 PM »
Great point...  Initially, I was looking at doing...yet another 289/302 stroker, but I may refrain and go with a well built 289 and aluminum heads (weight) more than anything...Agree on the DNA aspect.  I did a 66 Carry Over car in the late 90's and it was super accurate with a lot of real (read that as EXPEN$IVE!) parts on it.  I let it go way to cheap, but that's life.  I am going with a WR top loader on this one... I considered another Tremec.  So, I hear you...if I could find some nicely done 289 heads on the cheap, I may do them instead of aluminum.  Appreciate the critical input.  Always good to hear.  it helps keep me between the guardrails...
Tom - DFW, Texas

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 07:14:00 PM »
When you are ready for a drive shaft go to Drive Shaft King and have them make one for you. They will have the U - joints but not the forward yoke. Near I-30 and I-35E in Dallas. They will balance it and make it as heavy duty as you want. Reasonable prices, great work and fast.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 07:56:29 PM »
I have a very healthy 331 in mine, what a strong motor! I run the FITECH throttle body EFI, with my own external fuel system. Hidden under the air cleaner, almost invisible.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 07:51:13 AM by Cobrask8 »

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 08:27:37 PM »
Here is a nice color pic that I scanned from one of my vintage magazines - an in-house publication from Mercury I think.

Don't believe I've posted it here before.

It is from Sebring, early in the 1967 TA season when the Cougars ran the Magstars and still had fairly stock looking bodywork including fiberglass bumpers.

The is Dan Gurney BTW.

- Phillip

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 09:37:50 PM »
When you say "Doing it right" do you mean period correct? A lot of items on your list are not something you would find on a period car.

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 11:17:55 PM »
Thank you Phillip!  Love the period photo's!  I had no idea that the headlights had Autolite stickers on them.  I've always seen tape.

Cobrask8, interesting on the FiTech.  I had high hopes for that one.  Sounds like you've got good experience with it.  I've run a 331 & a 347.  Both VERY strong!

1109RWHP, yes.  Not all period, but want to make it easy/fun to drive.  Will be a street car, even though it's a race car today.  I have to have AC!
Tom - DFW, Texas

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 09:46:10 AM »
Shouldn't the induction on the engine be the C60E dual Holley 4bbl carb set up?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 11:21:08 AM »
Great picture Phil - is that Green Valley?

Here is a nice color pic that I scanned from one of my vintage magazines - an in-house publication from Mercury I think.

Don't believe I've posted it here before.

It is from Sebring, early in the 1967 TA season when the Cougars ran the Magstars and still had fairly stock looking bodywork including fiberglass bumpers.

The is Dan Gurney BTW.

- Phillip

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2021, 12:52:31 PM »
My guess is Sebring, since it looks like Gurney's Cougar has the Magstar wheels.

But I am not familiar with the look of Sebring and I would need to double check to make 100% sure.

As you well know, by the end of the season the BME Cougars shed quite a bit of their front ends!

- Phillip

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 02:09:32 PM »
  Phillip ,
      Am I looking at a "drooped front end" on Gurney's car?

Doug , Yes all BME's were dual four according to my original engine build papers from BME
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.