Author Topic: Radiator Paint  (Read 1550 times)

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Radiator Paint
« on: April 26, 2021, 03:34:19 PM »
Just delivered my original radiator for re-core at a local shop.  Is there anything available in a spray can that replicates OE finish?  I've used Eastwood radiator black in the past and a difficult time getting it to adhere.  Also looking for a correct petcock source

Thanks

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Radiator Paint
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 05:21:19 PM »
They were originally lacquer, the eastwood stuff would be fine.  Anything with a catalyst/hardener in the paint will reduce the heat dissipation of the radiator.

Va Mustang should have the correct petcock.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

6T6SHELBY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 05:52:55 PM »
I too need to have my original radiator redone. Does anyone have any experience with anyone in the North Carolina area?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 07:05:38 PM »
Just delivered my original radiator for re-core at a local shop.  Is there anything available in a spray can that replicates OE finish?  I've used Eastwood radiator black in the past and a difficult time getting it to adhere.  Also looking for a correct petcock source

Thanks
Try a number of light coats to get it to adhere better.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

OldGuy

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 07:37:13 PM »

Thanks
Try a number of light coats to get it to adhere better.

I've had great success with adhesion (and durability) by applying a very light (mist coating) of rattle-can Rust-Oleum self etching primer prior to applying your choice of top coat. The primer promotes adhesion on all of the dis-similar metal parts (copper, brass, solder, steel straps, etc.). The top coat will also "wet" the surfaces more uniformly and flow better than if bare metal surfaces were just sprayed with top coating.

Frank

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 08:15:09 PM »
Thanks everyone!  This is very helpful  :)