Author Topic: Nine inch rearend  (Read 1941 times)

427heaven

• View Profile
Nine inch rearend
« on: April 12, 2018, 09:54:02 PM »
I have a question regarding 9 inch rearends. What years had the smooth rear end housing without the dimple for the large ring gear, or better put when did they start putting the dimple into the housings 1967? Also when were the axle tubes necked down or all same size across the tubes?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Nine inch rearend
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 11:06:22 PM »
I have a question regarding 9 inch rearends. What years had the smooth rear end housing without the dimple for the large ring gear, or better put when did they start putting the dimple into the housings 1967?

1- Are you using dimple to describe what is shown in this first picture (arrows)?

2- Or are you using the term to describe this style?  This style also has small dimples like the first only different :)

If its #2 it took place in the early part of 66 production at San Jose

Since it appears your focus is 67 there was an earlier style with a fill plug on the back side like #2 and another version without the fill plug. It was incorporated into the third member housing. For a time they installed third member with the fill plug in rearend housings with a fill plug. 

From observation and data collected the housing with the fill plug has been found on some fairly late cars (Shelbys and Mustangs) though the feature is thought of as an earlier one
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:14:35 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 09:52:14 AM »
Thanks for the pictures Jeff,,,,, I guess I would be referencing a BULGE like the second picture for the clearance of the ring gear. In one of my 68s I have a 9 inch in it like picture # 1 but the axle tubes are full length large diameter, full length not necking down at all. Not sure of the drain plugs will have to look today, would that be a 66 or older possibly?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 12:43:07 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Jeff,,,,, I guess I would be referencing a BULGE like the second picture for the clearance of the ring gear. In one of my 68s I have a 9 inch in it like picture # 1 but the axle tubes are full length large diameter, full length not necking down at all. Not sure of the drain plugs will have to look today, would that be a 66 or older possibly?
The 65/66 rear ends regardless of smooth or bulge center section have a dramatic neck down on the outer section .67-70 besides being wider has a ever so slight less dramatic slight neck down on the outer section. If it is full size tube all the way across it wasn't a Mustang housing to begin with. I would post pictures but haven't figured out the new method yet.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby