News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Dave Friedman Ken Miles book

Started by honker, April 30, 2021, 10:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

honker

There's a new book on Ken Miles coming from Dave Friedman. I'm not sure how much new information there might be, but

Friedman has a huge inventory of photographs from the Shelby years, many that have not been seen before. He was the official

photographer for Shelby American I believe ?

I remember that cover photo on the last page "Slightly Modified" of Sports Car graphic back in the day with the caption something

like " give me that trophy you bloody colonial, it's mine !"  ;D

Mike

shelbydoug

This is making me remember what Shel said about Friedman, and it wasn't complimentary.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 30, 2021, 12:35:01 PM
This is making me remember what Shel said about Friedman, and it wasn't complimentary.
+1 . Wasn't Friedman fired?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Side-Oilers

^^ I have heard similar comments from CS.   
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 30, 2021, 01:18:08 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on April 30, 2021, 12:35:01 PM
+1 . Wasn't Friedman fired?

Was that all from an article from Kopec 25 years ago? Something about when "Friedman was around everyone would get s hit all over them", or something to that effect?
Sounded like a good deal of venom and the only person I ever heard Shelby make a negative comment about (publicly).

I think that there was somewhat of a disagreement about who owned the pictures being the basis for the comment.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: honker on April 30, 2021, 10:43:40 AMFriedman has a huge inventory of photographs from the Shelby years, many that have not been seen before.
He sold his entire collection to the Henry Ford Museum. They are scanning some and the rest are available for researchers. I don't know their regs on what makes one a "researcher".
PS you can now ignore when he sends you a bill for posting one of his photos on facebook etc..

https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-collections/archival-collections/383107/
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Chad

I heard he has sold the collection like three different times!!  I thought Dave was dead

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Chad on April 30, 2021, 08:50:09 PM
I heard he has sold the collection like three different times!!  I thought Dave was dead
At least. Once they got to be valuable he sued one guy to get them back - so I've heard.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

ChicagoChris

Cobra Ned

Back in the early '70s, well prior to the deal he supposedly made with the Henry Ford Museum, Friedman sold his entire negative collection to "Mr. Cobra" for $10k. That was a big number back then. He then asked to "borrow" them back for an important project, and of course his buyer complied. Friedman then refused to return them, saying "I told you to NEVER lend these out, since you never know if you'll get them back." I have not been a fan of Dave Friedman since. That was a douchebag move.

A-Snake

Quote from: Cobra Ned on May 01, 2021, 08:57:19 AM
Back in the early '70s, well prior to the deal he supposedly made with the Henry Ford Museum, Friedman sold his entire negative collection to "Mr. Cobra" for $10k. That was a big number back then. He then asked to "borrow" them back for an important project, and of course his buyer complied. Friedman then refused to return them, saying "I told you to NEVER lend these out, since you never know if you'll get them back." I have not been a fan of Dave Friedman since. That was a douchebag move.

Since there wasn't a written contract for the sale, no legal restitution was available. Then of course there are those photos 'credited' to DF that someone else took ;) But that's another story.

Cobra Ned

I'm told by someone who should know that my numbers are off; price was less. OK. Still a douchebag move.

Chad

I agree!  That kind of stuff catches up with a person sooner or later!!

propayne

I'm sure that the reputation is well deserved - but thank goodness someone was there at that time and place with a camera.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Chad on May 01, 2021, 11:06:03 PM
I agree!  That kind of stuff catches up with a person sooner or later!!

He doesn't care. The stuff he spews on facebook Shelby groups is disappointing... ask Ned!
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge