News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1966 GT350 - California License

Started by gt350cs, April 13, 2018, 01:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350cs

On the Virginia Mustang Site they posted pictures from SAAC 41 Mid Ohio. One picture in particular shows a green 1966 GT350 with 10 spokes and California plates. Does anyone know the VIN for this car and can it be confirmed that they are original issue? I want to include in my data base.

Since I don't know how to post pictures, and there seems to be some problem at the present, here is a link that will include the picture:

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2016/06/recap-saac-41-part-1.html

Just scroll down and you will see the picture.

Thanks,

Dennis

98SVT - was 06GT

I can't read the number on the site. What is it?
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350hr

UAH063   This would be a stretch for me but it is "possible". "Most '66's were R & S for the first letter. I think this was a plate issued in '67 or possibly '68. The switch to blue was done in '69 so it has to be in that range.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

gt350cs

Randy:

Thanks for posting the number. That is the number I see it as well.

I have 1966 plates (only 4 recorded so far) that begin with the letter U that range from UIR through UNN.

The 1967 plate numbers I currently have (11 so far) that begin with the letter U range from UIF through UZF.

I believe that the UAH could fit within the period these cars were sold.

Hopefully someone will know the owner who could validate with historic documents.
Appreciate your input.

Dennis

Brant

Quote from: gt350cs on April 13, 2018, 01:19:38 PM
On the Virginia Mustang Site they posted pictures from SAAC 41 Mid Ohio. One picture in particular shows a green 1966 GT350 with 10 spokes and California plates. Does anyone know the VIN for this car and can it be confirmed that they are original issue? I want to include in my data base.

Since I don't know how to post pictures, and there seems to be some problem at the present, here is a link that will include the picture:

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2016/06/recap-saac-41-part-1.html

Just scroll down and you will see the picture.

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis,

I just went through my pictures. Randy is correct, the number is "UAH 063".

Unfortunately, I do not have the serial number of the car. Apparently, I never caught it with the hood up, because I always take a picture of the serial number plate also.

The only additional information that I can provide is that it had a 1966 Ohio license plate on the back.

-Brant
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

gt350hr

I am a California native besides Shelby owner. It takes allot of the guess work out of the equation. Happy to help when I have something to add.
      Randy

gt350cs

Brant:

Based upon your reply, and the 1966 Ohio plate this car could have an original Ohio registration, which would be just as important to document for the records. Hope others will respond as well. I am not looking for "JUST" California plates, but all other states as well. All GT350 and GT500. I will also begin Cobras as well, if anyone wants to contribute information.

Thanks,

Dennis

greekz

I agree it could be possible if the car was sold in the Los Angeles or other large city in California, but think it is a stretch as well.  My car is an April 1966 sale out of San Luis Obispo, CA and starts with SAL.  Also, a possibility the car was first sold in 1967, as it might have languished on a dealer's lot for a while.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

J_Speegle

Quote from: gt350hr on April 13, 2018, 01:49:01 PM
UAH063   This would be a stretch for me but it is "possible". "Most '66's were R & S for the first letter. ...............

Agree that even a car sold in LA area (where they went through the assigned plates quicker than elsewhere  it would be a stretch unless the car sat on the lot for a long time - into 67.  Other possibility as mentioned would be an out of state transfer after the car was new but the registry would give you the original dealership that would provide the insight on that possibility

If your looking for something to use as a reference for hunting some plates for a car you have than was originally sold in Cal I suggest you look for help/examples elsewhere
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

As a follow up.  IDed the car and it (according to the Registry) was not sold until almost have way through the 67 production year (Dec 66) explaining the unusual Calif license plate number sequence as we suspected. Just sat around SAI for a long time in the back lot it seems. 

" ....Picked up by the original owner Jim Marxxxx (San Francisco, CA) 12/8/66 at Hi-Performance Motors, Inc (El Segundo, CA) but sold through Hayward Motors (Hayward, CA) 12/5/66......"

Car is 6S1727 from my records and pictures. Hope this settles the mystery ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: greekz on April 13, 2018, 04:18:48 PM
I agree it could be possible if the car was sold in the Los Angeles or other large city in California, but think it is a stretch as well.  My car is an April 1966 sale out of San Luis Obispo, CA and starts with SAL. 
My Feb 66 LA Hertz delivery from HiPerf Motors was SRL. CA plates of the era are all over the place. When a DMV office needed more plates the prison just punched out the next series and sent them off. Smaller DMVs got early numbered plates but ran through them at a slower rate San Luis Obispo at the time was still sparsly populated so those were sitting on the shelf for some time before they were delivered.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350hr

Jeff,
    Odds are he got the plates later in the mail from Sacramento. Makes more sense now .

6s2020

6S2020 original plates TWR 172 still on the car
6S2082 original plates TWR 171 still on the car
Both went to HI-PO Motors

gt350hr

Quote from: greekz on April 13, 2018, 04:18:48 PM
I agree it could be possible if the car was sold in the Los Angeles or other large city in California, but think it is a stretch as well.  My car is an April 1966 sale out of San Luis Obispo, CA and starts with SAL.  Also, a possibility the car was first sold in 1967, as it might have languished on a dealer's lot for a while.

Greek
Greek ,
    I had a 66 coupe with SAL plates. Also sold in April. Those plates came from Sacramento not the dealer as happened in many cases.
    Randy

gt350hr

My Feb '66 delivered Hertz ( LAX) was RZP as was a group of cars in my vin range. Those probably came from the local DMV. Some Hertz cars ( in California) did not get their plates immediately. I have a blue "suspense receipt" that was in one of those cheap leather , spring clip holders attached to the steering column for a car in the 800s. It would not be used/needed if the plates were on the car initially.
    Randy