News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

65 R tach

Started by jerry merrill, May 06, 2021, 11:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry merrill

I have a question about the 1965 R model tach, were they cable drive? I know there are not many around out there, what are they worth?

gt350hr

It would be RARE for an R model to have a mechanical tach as the only tach drive distributor was from the GT40 and R models "typically" used conventional C5OF dual point distributors .
I welcome opinions from those with more hands on experience.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

jerry merrill

Thanks for the info, the tach I am referring to is for sale and I have only seen a picture of the front and i looks like an R model type with no redline and white tach needle with CS logo at the bottom. The owner says it is cable driven, I will have him send me more pictures.

Dan Case

Early on, the prototype racer SFM5R002 used the same cable drive basic system as the prototype 427 Cobra Competition car CSX3002 did. Literally a particular tractor's 90° gear box adapted to the crankshaft and the tractor's cable.  Brackets were fabricated to mount the gear boxes in front of crankshafts. I found a new old stock gear box and cable for SFM5R002's restoration back around 2010-2011ish. The picture of SFM5R002's instruments during developement show a SMITHS® tachometer.

SFM5R002 did track development with a 1964 Cobra (five bolt engine) and 1964 ignition distributor.

I have no idea if any other 1965 race cars other that CSX3002 and SFM5R002 used a mechanical tachometer.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

jerry merrill

Here is the only picture I have so far but hope to get a picture of the other side along with more info.

jerry merrill

Here is more pics from the back and side, what was this used on? Maybe sold through a catalog. it has the AC stamp on the back and looks to be similar to R model except cable drive.

69mach351w

I seen them on CL and was told by a member on here, very reliable member, that they were not originals, maybe OTC.

rpbeck

it appears to me that the bezel has been removed at some time.

Jbarela

Hey Jerry, seller is a super nice guy spoke with him on the phone for quite some time, just a bit misinformed on those parts I believe.