News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Plug for hole in firewall for clutch rod

Started by TedS, May 11, 2021, 04:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedS

I have an automatic so I assume there is a plug for the firewall hole where the clutch rod would normally be for a 4 speed. It's close to 2" in diameter, left of the steering column and just above the parking brake assembly. Right now I have a year-round heater. I have found rubber plugs for most everything except that hole. Can someone identify and advise a source?

Thanks
Ted

98SVT - was 06GT

Try this https://www.tuckersparts.com/1967-1972-Clutch-Rod-Firewall-Hole-Plug-Oval.html

If I remember the firewall was partially stamped and the hole got knocked out if it was to be a stick and left alone for the autos.
Yep here's a shot of original
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

You will have to improvise a alternate plug if the factory sheet metal tab/plug has already been knocked out. It is hard to secure the metal plug inconspicuously with the firewall pad in place .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TedS

Thanks guys. I wasn't expecting that answer but it makes perfect sense. The Tucker plug says "oval" so I'm not sure that will work, I think the Mustang hole is round, but we will see. Wheels in my noggin are turning on improvisation ideas, both temporary and permanent.

Thanks again
Ted

98SVT - was 06GT

I used a couple big fender washers one time one on each side and bolted together. One of those temp freeze plugs might work too.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

J_Speegle

You can likely make a plug and cover it LIGHTLY with some of the adhesive used to seal the openings in and on the firewall if you make the area part of the spray pattern as it moved around the  master cylinder and the electrical plug between it and the inner fender panel and the plug then the E brake moutning nuts.

On the inside you'll need to get a bit more creative it the car is already painted and together but can and has been done

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TedS

One of the forum members has offered to provide a salvaged plug. At sometime in the future seems I could secure it in place with a few small tack welds then coat like Jeff suggests. On a completely assembled car it is an awkward place to work. My car is completely assembled and a "reasonably" well preserved example but does show some signs of use and age. When I make repairs I try to be as faithful as possible but do not attempt concours condition.

98SVT has offered a couple of methods for a temporary fix so I'll probably do some variation of that. Anything to shut off the heat for now.

Thanks to all
Ted