News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Balancer date

Started by tater_51, May 18, 2021, 05:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tater_51

I have had this balancer since the 60's.  It was on an early hipo Fairlane.  It's a C5OE balancer.  Help with the date code stamp?  It looks like I4, but Ford did not use "I" for their dating.  I don't find any other stamping on the balancer.  Thanks

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tater_51 on May 18, 2021, 05:45:33 PM
I have had this balancer since the 60's.  It was on an early hipo Fairlane.  It's a C5OE balancer.  Help with the date code stamp?  It looks like I4, but Ford did not use "I" for their dating.  I don't find any other stamping on the balancer.  Thanks
Maybe partial L .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

64kcode

GT350Lad

My bet is on partial H
Cheers
6S373
6S1276

Dan Case

I would not think "H4" (August 1964) for a C5OE prefix part. The original intact engines assembled in August and September 1964 that I have studied were equipped with G4 (July 1964) dated C3OE-B balancer assemblies.  It could have been possible I suppose but why use 1963-64 model parts in 1965 engine IF 1965 model parts were available. Other "1965" model parts made their debuts as soon as they became available during the late 1964 production run starting mid April 1964.

Idea, do surveys on both the High Performance Mustang and Fairlane Club of America websites to a) determine if anybody else knows on any C5OE versions stamped exactly the same way and b) what assembly dates have people recorded for C5OE versions.

Suspected anomalies sometimes turn out to be normal. There was a 1963-1964 model HP289 specific carburetor for sale that was generally suspected by multiple old timers to be a common model restamped with a HP289 assembly number. The question was raised on line. Over a few days the questionable looking assembly number stamp details turned out to be fairly common in Ford 2100/4100 assemblies made during the second half of the 1964 model year. In fact we found two more used and one new old stock C3OF-AJ carburetor with the exact same castings and stamping details. The questionable detail was just a normal production variance. It would be interesting to learn if there are other C5OE assemblies stamped like yours.

Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Perhaps a lower case L substituted for a capital L?

Jon

J_Speegle

Quote from: 1175 on May 19, 2021, 02:43:18 PM
Perhaps a lower case L substituted for a capital L?

Most likely not since lower case letters are not included in standard stamp sets nor is there any indication that they were included in the factory stamp sets
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

NC TRACKRAT

Obviously, that's a 1st shift Monday a.m. stamped part.  There's plenty of 'em out there. I've got a perfectly good HiPo fan stamped C5AE-C which should be a 7-blade for a big block.
5S071, 6S1467

Ashep65k

Hey guys I know this is an old thread but I am currently rebuilding a K code fastback with a build date of October 16,1964. My Balancer is dated identical to the one in this topic I4. I believe Dan is correct. This was a misprint and there are others out there. I can post pictures if anyone would like to see another example. My belief is someone messed up and stamped them using I.

Ivygreen65

As a data point - I also have an I4 dated K-code balancer.  It came with a group of K-code parts that I purchased, so I do not know the actual build date of the original engine it was installed on.