News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Tire Discussion

Started by rmarble57, February 07, 2021, 05:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 17, 2021, 05:13:38 PM
Quote from: CSX 4133 on April 17, 2021, 01:06:25 PM

At the recent Sebring race Pre grid there was a Goodyear tire engineer making note of who was using what brand of tire.  By and large the big bore cars were using Hoosiers rather than Goodyear and I think he was a little miffed judging by his facial expression.

Regarding using white lettering, I personally prefer an original black wall look, the white lettering didn't become popular till the late 60's (thanks Mickey Thompson) so my Carryover and 66 sport what they were born with. If you prefer the white lettering so be it.

~Steven

Yes, I would agree with that also, how they came is how they look the best. 67 on up I feel, need white lettering. 65-66 did not, am I correct on that?
However, if I get lucky enough to acquire a 66, I think I might have to think about that. It can go either way with me....
65 Blue dot did not have raised white letters. 66 Bluestreak tires did.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67 GT350

Quote from: 2112 on April 17, 2021, 07:55:49 PM
Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 17, 2021, 05:18:58 PM
Everyone is grinning on the, I can make they say Goodyear gig, let talk price.....
4 Avon's plus shipping, plus shipping, plus lettering. HOW MUCH?
or
4 BF Goodrich's plus shipping, plus shipping, plus lettering. HOW MUCH??
or
Harry Reid (no name, butcher boy black wall scamp tires) plus shipping, plus shipping, plus lettering. How Much???

In fairness, BFG's are not in the same performance universe as Avon. Either extreme performance is worth it to you or not. Your choice.

If I was into extreme performance, I would be in a 2020 GT500? Right?
RARE  Signature Delete

Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 17, 2021, 08:34:59 PM
Everyone is grinning on the, I can make they say Goodyear gig, let talk price.....
or
or
Harry Reid (no name, butcher boy black wall scamp tires) plus shipping, plus shipping, plus lettering. How Much???

In fairness, BFG's are not in the same performance universe as Avon. Either extreme performance is worth it to you or not. Your choice.

If I was into extreme performance, I would be in a 2020 GT500? Right?

Then the BFG or similar is perfect for you.   8)

CSX2259

2112 or anyone else interested, my email jkb5 at sbcglobal dot net, or you can PM me here through the SAAC Forum.
As this is a custom service we do not keep tires on hand, to many brands and sizes to worry about.

oldcanuck

or
or

I think the comparison was price based..... like me, I am aware of the BFGs limited capabilities but at least they drive/handle better than the square bias plys that are currently on the market..... of course the 15 inch diameter selection, or lack there of, has something to do with it as well.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

shelbydoug

You can shave the BFG's and apply the Goodyear billboards on them too at somewhat of a savings.

Everyone is going to have their own opinions but I feel it very safe to say that a BFG T/A is far beyond the original Goodyear tires capabilities.

If you want to treat a vintage Shelby like a current 8 second GT500, I'd suspect that is gross overkill but if you've got the bucks, go Avon.

Now if someone is suggesting equating Avon's with W's, then there is justification in Europe for putting W rated tires on cars. The "Autobahn" speed rules state the tire has to match the speed capabilities of the car but no such laws apply here in the US. A W here is just a status symbol here in my view.

My speedometer only goes to 140 in my Shelby's so there isn't any fun in going faster. Now my Pantera is a different story. That one goes to 200!

As far as how each react at speed on the track I can advise that the '68 steering gets very "light" when the speedometer is buried. That Pantera gets "spooky quiet".

Any idiot can drive the Pantera fast. The Shelby can be somewhat of a handful though.

P7 Pirelli's ("V"s) are on the Pantera. BFG's ("S"s) on the Shelby. Both have advantages and disadvantages.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

68krrrr

I love some big Goodyear script and those new ones posted ,look pretty good on those radials  I just wish the script was a little bigger, speaking of which how big did the Goodyear script get thisv68 seems to have really big script.
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 68krrrr on April 18, 2021, 03:46:10 PM
I love some big Goodyear script and those new ones posted ,look pretty good on those radials  I just wish the script was a little bigger, speaking of which how big did the Goodyear script get thisv68 seems to have really big script.
68 used the smaller letter version for a while then went back to the large letter version like in the photo before finally changing to the all blackwall tires .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CSX2259

FYI,

I can do the letter size to whatever letter height You require.

CSX2259

It looks like Krause's finally have AVONs in stock again, Bella just did this large letter transformation for somebody on here.....

CSX2259