News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

valve cover gasket opinions

Started by csheff, April 28, 2018, 03:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csheff

I pulled my covers off to have restored and found the gasket with sealer from head to gasket and nothing from gasket to cover, probably for easier removal. My ? is what is your opinion on how u install gasket?  No sealer at all, sealer on both sides of gasket or like I found mine? Thanks

Bob Gaines

Quote from: csheff on April 28, 2018, 03:11:01 PM
I pulled my covers off to have restored and found the gasket with sealer from head to gasket and nothing from gasket to cover, probably for easier removal. My ? is what is your opinion on how u install gasket?  No sealer at all, sealer on both sides of gasket or like I found mine? Thanks
From the factory there was a sealer applied to the gasket ether all over or just to the top or bottom face depending on application. With that said I typically glue the gasket (cork) to the valve cover. Others may do it differently .  Sometimes if you are lucky you can take a valve cover off with the gasket still intact so it can be used.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

csheff

roddster

Just defining a detail or not:  Then when did the "staples" start being used?   And what color are the original gaskets?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on May 02, 2018, 09:40:58 AM
  Just defining a detail or not:  Then when did the "staples" start being used?   And what color are the original gaskets?
It depends on the year being discussed and the application. It varies. What year are you inquiry about 67 GT350,67 GT500 or something else?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

The staples would not relate to the Shelby so not sure if we want to go into other Ford products during the period.

As for exterior finished color - agree with Bob we need some more clarification since its different answers for different years and engine sizes
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s1640

Please post an image of the staple in the valve cover gasket.  I have not heard or seen this.  I don't understand how the staple would be applied.

Thank you

Cory

roddster

Well, lets say the 67 GT 500.  The 67 350's had no staples.  I'm asking because I'm sure I saw the answer in the pre-meltdown forum.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on May 02, 2018, 07:37:18 PM
Well, lets say the 67 GT 500.  The 67 350's had no staples.  I'm asking because I'm sure I saw the answer in the pre-meltdown forum.
67 GT500 did not use staples ether . In the case of the 67 GT500 gasket it had a silver sealer applied all over .You can spray the gasket with a non smudge aluminum paint and get the same result.

gt350hr

Staples were not used with aluminum valve covers because there was nothing for the staple to "hook" to. Stamped steel valve covers have cut outs for the tabs on the cork gaskets. In the center of the cut out in the steel valve cover is a small tab. The staple was pressed into the exposed gasket tab so that it went across the small valve cover tab so that the gasket was "attached" to the valve cover for quicker assembly at the engine plant. Staples were never serviced "OTC". Since all GT350/500s had aluminum valve covers  , they would not have tabs. Fitzgerald Gasket Co. ( long out of business) was the supplier of "silver painted" valve cover gaskets . Original Ford "B9AZ" gasket sets (NOS) often have the silver gaskets in the package. Ford changed suppliers for FE gaskets some time in '69. They were no longer painted silver.
   Fitzgerald was never the "Ford supplier" for 289 valve cover gaskets so silver gaskets would not be correct for a GT350 of any year. Some early GT350 gaskets were supplied by Victor Gasket Co. and were painted black.  "IMHO" these were "mainly" used on open letter valve covers ( sand cast) and "natural cork" gaskets were used on "closed letter" ( black die cast) covers.  Others may have different opinions.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.