News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Tires - Goodyear - John Bessey - Bella

Started by rmarble57, May 28, 2021, 11:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmarble57

Better pictures to come when the weather cooperates, but wanted to give a shout-out to John Bessey and Bella at We Keep It Real Restorations for assisting with the transformation of these tires to have the Large GOODYEAR lettering.  For those interested, the tires are Avon CR6ZZ very soft compound purchased through Roger Kraus Racing.  The process involves shaving off the Avon raised lettering and then applying the Goodyear letters.  Picture of the 3 tires show the progression from Avon lettering, shaved and Goodyear letters.  They do this for other applications as well, but my early '67 had the larger letter Speedway 350's originally and I wanted the look, but also wanted to be able to stay in my lane when driving and I refuse to put the reproduction bias tires on the car.  The handling is massively improved as well as traction.  The Kelsey Hayes Magstars are original riveted units which have been taken apart, replated and put back together with rivets just like the originals.  Some say I know how to spend money...................Jus' sayin'.

Bob Gaines

Randy, The tires look great.  Who did you have do the restoration on the wheels ? Was it one place or did you have to job it out to several? What was the approximate cost involved?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

Your car looks great!
      My question: are you saying that they took the centers out, replated the origial rims, and then put them back together, with original looking rivets?
  Thanks.

64cobra

These were taken apart.  Original rims rechromed to show quality.  Centers restored.  Then riveted back together using original style rivets.   Cost I believe was around $1250 each not including the original magstar.  So around $5000 and you have to provide the perfect donor rims.

CSX2259

Looks AWESOME and thank you for the credit, Randy!

rmarble57

Danced between the raindrops to get a decent picture.

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

rmarble57

And Thank You, J.D. for your contribution.

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bobby Crumpley

Wow, that looks fantastic!  Those Avon's are wonderful tires aren't they?  The only issue with them is that they will occasionally throw a pebble or two, but a small price to pay for the performance and safety that they offer.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com

T-Bone68

Those look great!  What size Avon's did you go with front and back?

67GT500#1594

Randy,
The car looks fantastic!! Can you give the tire specs please? I'm trying to get a good idea on sizing. I think the 225/65 up front and 245/60 for the rears will be what I use. I'm a little nervous as I don't have the tires to mock up before paint. Can you post any closer pics of the tires and possibly fender/ quarter panel up close shots? Any help would be great!! It's hard to determine these tire sizes without have something to go by. Only other car I've found has different sizes front and back.
Thanks!!!

67 GT350

Quote from: 67GT500#1594 on May 28, 2021, 08:57:49 PM
Randy,
The car looks fantastic!! Can you give the tire specs please? I'm trying to get a good idea on sizing. I think the 225/65 up front and 245/60 for the rears will be what I use. I'm a little nervous as I don't have the tires to mock up before paint. Can you post any closer pics of the tires and possibly fender/ quarter panel up close shots? Any help would be great!! It's hard to determine these tire sizes without have something to go by. Only other car I've found has different sizes front and back.
Thanks!!!

What is that square thing under the front bumper?
RARE  Signature Delete

Rickmustang

Just a square imposed over license plate so it cannot be read.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

67 GT350

Quote from: Rickmustang on May 29, 2021, 11:16:46 AM
Just a square imposed over license plate so it cannot be read.

Ahhhhh...
Gotcha
Better than a thumb!
RARE  Signature Delete