Author Topic: Getting back into the Hertz  (Read 2481 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Getting back into the Hertz
« on: May 30, 2021, 09:54:38 AM »
It has been a long hiatus coupled with a diminution of my enthusiasm for cars but it seems to be coming back since I went for a meaningful drive today in the Hertz. My best friend will be gone two years come June 6, 2021. He was a car enthusiast in the extreme like me, and I knew him since grade 9 so a 42 year friendship has ended. When he died my enthusiasm for cars and many other things seemed to die gradually as well without me even realizing it. You get buried in your work and tend to push dark thoughts aside.  At least I try to. When a close friend dies it is very bad in the beginning, almost like it isn't real, but for me at least, the mind imagines that it is like he is on an extended vacation. That this absence won't last.  But the longer time passes, the more one realizes how real and permanent that vacation really is. This really hit home these last few months. Doing a course correction to counteract all this, a long drive this morning at 6 am seemed to remedy things a bit. I also enrolled to show my Hertz at the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals this year in the Hertz section of the show. I kept a watchful eye while getting a few items at the grocery store at 7 am.
Anyway, take care gentlemen and get out there and live your best lives.

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Getting back into the Hertz
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 09:57:12 AM »
58 years old in June. I don't feel 58 whenever I get behind the wheel of the Red One....I think I got the timing spot on this time. No hard starts when she's hot anymore. But then again it was cool this morning. The engine likes that cold dense air.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 01:10:31 PM by deathsled »

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 10:17:24 AM »
Just wait until you hit 70, the Shelby is a great “fountain of youth” when you get behind the wheel.
Thus December I’ll have owned it 50 years
Here’s one of its first pictures and one a week ago
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

S7MS427

• View Profile
    • S-Tech Enterprises, LLC
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 10:22:53 AM »
Deathsled,

I've lost three very good friends in my life.  The hurt was tremendous each time.  Each of them had fought their own heroic battles with cancer.  I miss all three intensely.  All three had large influences on my life and for that I am forever grateful.  And while time does not heal all things, it does let you come to accept the situation.  So to Joe, Scott, and Phil I honor you by keeping your memories alive in my heart.  And Deathsled, keep your friend's memory in your heart and part of him will always be with you.  Remember the good times.
Roy Simkins
http://www.S-TechEnt.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 10:33:29 AM »
Thanks for sharing your philosophy on the matter S7MS427. Cancer got my friend as well. He had three weeks notice before he was gone.

Steve, it is amazing anyone could own a car for so long. I did see a Leno video and Herbie Hancock has owned his Cobra since 1963...

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 11:04:19 AM »
I have a friend who’s owned his 66 Blue/White GT350 since 1969 but he paid way too much for it $1500, I only paid $1,000 for mine
Losing friends is tough, we lost  close friend to Covid, he went from healthy, to “I feel sick”, the hospital, to intensive care, to paralyzed, assign away in less than a week.
People ask me why I drive the car so much, 240,600+ miles on it as of last week) I figure I only have a limited amount of time before I’m too old, too broke and physically unable to do it, so I hope to be on my deathbed saying “I’m glad I did” rather than “I wish I had”
Enjoy life while you can
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 03:49:55 PM »
Richard, thanks for letting us know.  I, for one, have missed your contributions to the forum.

I hope things soon get brighter for you. 

And, YES a fast drive in your Hertz (or any Shelby product) can work wonders!

Best to you,
Van
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 04:08:46 PM »
Always good to see 843 and hear it's being used as designed. Glad you decided to do the show after all.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 09:04:50 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 06:34:39 PM »
Thanks all for the supporting commentary, gentlemen.  I will endeavor to be on site more and try to keep on topic.  I know I like to post music and non-sequitur material from time to time but will focus more on the car stuff.  And automotive related fiction.  I plan to write more.

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 06:54:32 AM »
All is ok Richard. Life isn’t easy mate. Your red beauty will wait while you take a hiatus and come back to her. Drive her for all the ones we lose along the way but above all else drive her for yourself.
Best wishes
6S373
6S1276

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 07:49:19 AM »
Maestro always rember this ;

Don’t cry because it’s over; smile because it happened
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

highland green

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2021, 10:22:59 AM »
I to lost my close friend who was instrumental in the restoration of my Shelby. I think of him every time I look at the car. I just say ,thanks George.

chris NOS

• SAAC Member
  • 5S241 actual owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 11:26:21 AM »
thank you for sharing,  can help other understanding what's going on in  the same situation ...

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2021, 07:10:59 PM »
I believe that we all will have to face the passing of family and friends as we age. No way around it. My personal loss was my very long time Mustang hobby friend Larry. Another cancer victim. We had many,many great swap meets and shows over 25+ years. My best story about him is that he was crazy about 1967 Mustangs and included it in everything,including his Ebay user name..........he could not pass up 67 Mustang or Fairlane parts. He passed away June 7..........6/7.  Excuse me while I remember the good times.

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2021, 07:31:13 PM »
They say time heals all wounds, but a brisk drive in a Shelby helps a lot too!  Keep the wind at your back and a smile on your face as you take her for a spin.

Best,

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339