Author Topic: Old gas question  (Read 4401 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Old gas question
« on: May 31, 2021, 01:02:18 PM »
There is gas in my dad's 2013 Boss 302LG(my 2013? lol)  which has been in the tank for about two years now (though it was treated with Stabil beforehand).  The car is not street driven and in essence, is in storage, though I have been able to run the gas down to half a tank over that time space just by idling and going back and forth in the driveway from time to time.  I just went and bought 5 gallons of fresh 93 octane (at $4.14 per gallon missing 2019 already) so my plan is to dilute the old gas, add another can of Stabil and resume the status quo.  Am I off base here?  I tried to drain the gas with a syphon but seemed to be something blocking it from going deeper into the tank.  I read somewhere that if one fishes around with the syphon enough you can bypass the blockage (which I did once or twice) but the hose needs to be super long.  Suggestions?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

trotrof1

• View Profile
Re: Old gas question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 01:42:21 PM »
Pretty sure there is a backflash valve fitted to the tank inlet. You may have to disconnect the fuel fill pipe at that point and pop the valve out temporarily or run your siphon hose past it. Its just a plastic valve that hinges as a one way deal.

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 02:04:55 PM »
Yep there is a flap in top of the tank .....  its easier to disconnect fuel filter and pump fuel out of tank  at the filter . If you are not using the car its better to  leave less fuel in new cars .... they have plastic tanks and stainless fuel lines that survive the rotten fuel we are delt  these days .  the new fuel is pretty much trash after 6 months of sitting in the tank .  store it with race fuel  is a better option .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 03:32:55 PM »
There is a kit - but I don't know if it will work under the BOSS engine cover. https://www.jpcracing.com/jpc-2011-up-mustang-gt-fuel-drain-kit/
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 07:18:29 PM »
There is gas in my dad's 2013 Boss 302LG(my 2013? lol)  which has been in the tank for about two years now (though it was treated with Stabil beforehand).  The car is not street driven and in essence, is in storage, though I have been able to run the gas down to half a tank over that time space just by idling and going back and forth in the driveway from time to time.  I just went and bought 5 gallons of fresh 93 octane (at $4.14 per gallon missing 2019 already) so my plan is to dilute the old gas, add another can of Stabil and resume the status quo.  Am I off base here?  I tried to drain the gas with a syphon but seemed to be something blocking it from going deeper into the tank.  I read somewhere that if one fishes around with the syphon enough you can bypass the blockage (which I did once or twice) but the hose needs to be super long.  Suggestions?

two years is stretching it with stabil, but you had it in storage inside.

you can chance it and start it or as someone mentioned previously drain the old fuel and add fresh, would even change the fuel filter
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 08:38:30 PM »
Typically the only fuel filter would be a screen attached to the pump inside the tank. Should be OK.

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 08:39:38 PM »
If it is running good, drive it hard (Fun), to drain the gas down, then fill it up, FULL, with new stabilizer, and that should be good. Newer cars need to be driven. I would never buy a car that was sitting in time. I did that one time, and I ended up with a new engine, transmission, and brake system, oh and Power steering system.
When I bought my Ford GT, I bought a "High mileage" car (13K miles), had it checked out by Rich Brooks and it got a clean bill of health. I was told that the 6K and less mile FGT's needed belts/fluids/tires.
RARE  Signature Delete

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 08:44:39 PM »
Typically the only fuel filter would be a screen attached to the pump inside the tank. Should be OK.

Nope

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 08:47:49 PM »
Fuel filter is located under a big black plastic cover on the under-body. It is located more or less below the seat area. You can follow the fuel lines from the tank. Once you take the cover off, you should see the metal filter. You need a special tool to take the clips off.  Yes I k ow some experts use pliers and a screw driver. I have yet to achieve that proficiency level.

Good luck with your situation

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 08:48:44 PM »
Forgot to point out it's under the drivers side

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 08:59:01 PM »
This cat is ON IT.  But hey what about a Ford part# on that filter big guy.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2021, 09:04:10 PM »
I've heard 2011 up only has the filter in the tank not an inline one.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 09:20:53 PM »
Hi trot

Don't know what number is on the filter, picture was used as an illustration

Quick question,   whats your pick Burger King or McDonald's ?

This cat is ON IT.  But hey what about a Ford part# on that filter big guy.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2021, 09:22:30 PM »
I've heard 2011 up only has the filter in the tank not an inline one.

You know you just maybe correct.....just maybe....cheers !

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2021, 09:42:03 PM »
Answer a question with a question?  I avoid fast food. A burger KING sounds too authoritative and Clowns creep me out.