Author Topic: Early Production 1969 Shelby Convertible Carpeting  (Read 5538 times)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Early Production 1969 Shelby Convertible Carpeting
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2021, 02:34:17 PM »
So I am under the impression that Mach1s could only be had with a white, red or black interior in 1969 so red inserts on carpet on  all 3? I know going back to 1970s with my friend's all original 2 owner Acapulco Blue Mach it had red inserts on a white interior car.

That was the challenge when we went to look at original cars with what appear to be original carpet and found the lack of red inserts on the examples. As mentioned were were a few with the red inserts (with white interior) but they were the minority during the survey as well over a ten year period and could be explained by a supply interruption or a mistake on the line. Never enough to chart to see if there was a pattern.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2021, 02:39:06 PM »
Convertible carpet is uniquely moulded with only a heel pad that is not as wide as coupe fastback because of the vert inner rockers that support the body since they dont have a roof like hardtops so the vert carpet is moulded out 2-3" around the inner rockers before it drops down unlike a hardtop carpet drops down by sill plates. I have black interior 69 shelby verts that have red stripe seats but i think some were put in cars by mistake. Red insert carpet was a  69 mach 1 only thing and 69 shelbys stated out being mach1s. The problem is so many cars have had carpet replaced by now and car owners bought whatever was sold to them or what was available or what they liked at that time. The problem i see is 69 shelby fastbacks with white interior some have red inserts and some have regular carpet with the heel pad only and i dont know if that was a running change or what. I think the red carpet inserts on white interior fastback shelbys looks odd. The front carpet is the same on coupe and cougars and fastbacks but the rear is different around the back seat area. Early 69 mustangs  may have the toe plate like the 68s .
What really looks horrible is the red stripe on white seats. Outside vendors must have offered that and those cars I have seen like that must have replacement upholstery. There is a 69 Mach1 I found online. Blue car. Thoroughbred car the article says. White interior and standard carpet. So I will assume in MCA T-bred standard carpet with a white interior(no seat stripe to be clear) is OK on "63C" cars..
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Hotrod Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 01:59:03 PM »
 After over 40+ years in the auto repair/restoration business, specializing in the upholstery/trimmer. It is my observation that I would have to agree with what Coralsnake said. My Shelby sat for 40 years with 72,000 original miles with only a repaint. The car is Gulfstream Aqua, white interior, with only red inserts in the carpet. The carpet had never been out of the car before, as when i pulled it out all the underlayment was still in place and undisturbed, all  the correct seatbelt washers and sealer was there and in the correct order, plus the seat bolts under the car only left one semi circle mark left by the nut/washer. the only time I have seen white seats with Red inserts or Black carpet with four black inserts was when they were made by an aftermarket company. Just my observation.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2021, 07:42:06 PM »
Thank you. I appreciate your feedback.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2021, 11:25:09 PM »
............... the only time I have seen white seats with Red inserts or Black carpet with four black inserts was when they were made by an aftermarket company. Just my observation.

Believe the comparison currently is between the Mach I style carpet with four red inserts and the use of standard interior carpet (one heal pad insert) in red and white interior cars

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2021, 11:28:19 PM »
Since we're posting observations and memories I've seen a number of white interior fastback Shelby's with standard black interior carpet used. No pads expect for the since drivers side - no toe pad. Not a style I'm aware of being reproduced in the past. Same goes for red interior cars. red standard interior carpet. Just the single toe pad - not heal pad like also used on non- Mach I fastback interiors. Believe all those examples have been on Mach I's but may have included one or two of the 69 Shelby's

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2021, 05:23:58 AM »
Since we're posting observations and memories I've seen a number of white interior fastback Shelby's with standard black interior carpet used. No pads expect for the since drivers side - no toe pad. Not a style I'm aware of being reproduced in the past. Same goes for red interior cars. red standard interior carpet. Just the single toe pad - not heal pad like also used on non- Mach I fastback interiors. Believe all those examples have been on Mach I's but may have included one or two of the 69 Shelby's
Jeff this article is on the web about a t-bred 69 Mach1 white interior and pics to me shows standard interior carpet. http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1704-a-perfect-1969-mustang-mach-1//photo-gallery/#/
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2021, 06:54:43 AM »
For the purposes of my research, I am always open to differences. I do not put much stock in restored cars based on previous judging experiences and knowing what goes on.

Thank you both

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2021, 07:00:52 AM »
For the purposes of my research, I am always open to differences. I do not put much stock in restored cars based on previous judging experiences and knowing what goes on.

Thank you both
Are you referring to my link above about the T-bred 69 Mach1?  I have mentioned I remember quite vividly back around 1978 when a friend decided to remove the white shag carpet out of his low mileage 2 owner white interior S-code AC blue Mach1. It had perfect red inserts in the black carpet. I was amazed how bright they were because most of the  Mach1s I had seen the inserts had dirtied to a "darker" red. I wondered if this T-bred Mach1 in my link  was correct or not? Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Tor

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2021, 09:44:18 AM »
My 70 500 conv buildt 21 of february 69 has black insert in carpet and no stripes on the seats.

Tor