Author Topic: Seen this 289 on CL  (Read 3248 times)

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Seen this 289 on CL
« on: April 15, 2018, 09:21:07 PM »
Cool 289 with zero miles on it. Was donated by Ford for educational purposes. Still has the blue overspray paint on exhaust manifolds.

Thought I'd share.

https://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/pts/d/1965-ford-mustang-289-engine/6546864095.html

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Seen this 289 on CL
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 10:32:27 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Have seen a number of these over the years. A friend just recently purchased a K code example that had been used/given to a high school back in the day. Didn't have the same plate on it though - at least that they mentioned yet

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 10:43:33 PM »
we used to have one for years at our dealership, but it was a flathead! phred

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 12:37:38 AM »
Out of curiosity - is there any real value to this engine / tranny?
Nothing beats a classic!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 01:04:35 AM »

Not sure what you mean by "real"  value. It has value in a number of ways and as a display piece there is likely a number of possible new homes for such a thing though it appears it might need restoration given its current condition
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 07:54:24 AM »
I bet you could turn the engine at the crankshaft with a 15/16 socket to free up the pistons after soaking in the Marvel mystery, change the oil, spray a little gas down into the carb and that Baby would fire right up ;D

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 08:24:24 AM »

Not sure what you mean by "real"  value. It has value in a number of ways and as a display piece there is likely a number of possible new homes for such a thing though it appears it might need restoration given its current condition

Sorry, I was a bit vague.  :D

I was wondering if there was value (outside of the display function) for the engine and transmission. In other words, would it be worth buying and restoring to use in a car versus display.

Thoughts?
Nothing beats a classic!

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 08:33:08 AM »

I was wondering if there was value (outside of the display function) for the engine and transmission. In other words, would it be worth buying and restoring to use in a car versus display.

Thoughts?
Don't know why not.  My late Dad run a garage and back in the day, had a 283 SB chevy engine that sat with oil in it for about a decade, pulled it out of storage, pulled the heads, made sure pistons was frozen, even used marvel mystery oil to loosen up the pistons, fired it up, put it in my buddy's Nova and ran it for several years!!

And that engine already had several thousand miles on it!!

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 10:29:30 AM »

Thoughts?

The value would most likely just be in the individual parts.

It would have to be disassembled to determine what, if any, type of wear exists.  The parts are not rusty or corroded, so I would think they would be on the upper end of typical values.

Otherwise, it could be cleaned up or restored and put on display like in a museum. 
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 01:31:36 PM »
Shelby_0022...

I'd take this motor, anytime, after I checked it out like I described, and drop it into my 67 and run it anywhere/anytime.

And, display it in a museum?  Not me, Engines were made to run, not sit and be displayed, LOL.  Unless it was a cut-away ::)

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 01:35:22 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

It seems like a really cool piece and I don’t live too far from it.

Interesting... :)
Nothing beats a classic!

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 06:54:18 PM »
I bought a 67 Camaro that had a 427 Corvette engine in it, I was lucky enough to speak to the owner of 48 years and he said he got the motor NOS from a trade school a few years prior.

It was one superlative engine I can tell you that, Four wheel drum brakes and that screamer behind the grill. It was a machine to turn petrol into smiles I can tell you that.

Peter

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 10:25:30 AM »
pmustang...

Now that's what I'm taking about 8)

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 10:50:57 AM »

[/quote]

Thoughts?
[/quote]

I think the COOL Factor of the Plaques would be worth something a bit extra, especially if you drop it in a 32 or a T-Bucket where the Plaques could be easily seen at Car Shows and Cruise In's.  You would have the only one there.