News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Auto Italiana Test Drive November 1966 - origin Car Mag from Italy - 3H MFG 013

Started by Szabo, June 06, 2021, 05:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szabo

Hello,

for me from Germany it is difficult to find and collect origin Car Mags from back of days,
for US Car Mags it is nearly impossible, but for European Car Mags it is sometimes possible...

This Car Mags was something of a neckbreaker for me ... because i have to buy it twice.
First was sent from Itlay, but the Shelby test wasnt inside of mag, the seller give me the money
back but for me the Shelby Test was more important.

For a While i find it again, but the sending cost was horrible high for only a car mag ...
but i do it again and was very nice surprised because the Pics are clear and the mag is oversized to
usual german car mags ...

so another GT350 after 5S114 (the Car from Le Mans to Modena) was sent to Italy and was tested hard.

let us together have a closer look.

Hope you enjoy and see something new for you.

The Car Mag ist from November 1966, the test was usually 2-3 Month befor in Italy

the GT350 has still his origin Shelby license Plate " 3H MFG 013 "
Very nice to know would be the origin SFM Vin, anybody can help ???

first it was tested on the Autodrome VALLELUNGA (in the near of main City from Italy, ROMA)
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autodromo_Vallelunga
and have a very unusal front mounted measuring antenna in the test all possible datas was tested

the second test was made on public road and even on a very curved hill climbing street with tight corners
you can still see a cable coming out of the grill for the measure antenna holding

a closer look on the standing Pics showed a big Auto Italiana Sticker on the front (normally Magnetic) but also
small "Goodyear" Stickers on the front fender and the back panel
this is very similar to 5S114, but the stickers smaller
a little bit funny is the mounting of the USA Plate, but this was necessary for Cars inside Europe outside from the own country,

Any comments or thoughts ?

SFM6S087

THANKS for posting that. I had a lot of fun checking out the period photos, even if I couldn't read any of the text.

A quick observation. It has backup lights and a standard 1966 dash bezel, so the VIN should be something higher than 252.

Steve

68countrysedan

Mr. Sazbo

Great find on a story most if not all US enthusiasts would never have seen.

As for the Italian vocabulary, Google translate is your friend usually:

Headline                                                      Translation

Prova Della Ford Mustang GT 350                   Test of the Ford Mustang GT 350

Clotoide                                                        Clothoid (??)

Cerchi                                                           Circles

Frenata                                                          Braking

Sorpasso                                                        Overtaking

Slalom                                                            Slalom

Prova a Vallelunga                                            Try Vallelunga (not sure Italian idiom is right)

Prova in Salita                                                  Uphill test (interesting performance test)

Side-Oilers

Man, I thought it'd do a lot better in the Clotoide.  :P

BTW, are those European tires?  Note the tread pattern.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Szabo

Thanks a lot for you friendly answers and notes to this test ...

i cant say if the car special european tires to perform
from Car Shows in Paris i know the cars has special tires, so this can be possible

i tryed to translate also the text to find out where the car came from, sometimes it was loaned
by local dealer, but the car comes surely from SAI directly,
at the moment i didnt find such a text.

Likley the most time it became very technique to give the reader the chance to compare to other cars.

Quote from: 68countrysedan on June 06, 2021, 08:55:28 PM
Mr. Sazbo

Great find on a story most if not all US enthusiasts would never have seen.

As for the Italian vocabulary, Google translate is your friend usually:

Headline                                                      Translation

Prova Della Ford Mustang GT 350                   Test of the Ford Mustang GT 350

Clotoide                                                        Clothoid (??)

Cerchi                                                           Circles

Frenata                                                          Braking

Sorpasso                                                        Overtaking

Slalom                                                            Slalom

Prova a Vallelunga                                            Try Vallelunga (not sure Italian idiom is right)

Prova in Salita                                                  Uphill test (interesting performance test)

Thanks for you translate, the italian word "Prova" is more like the englisch word "Exam / or "to proof" in german "Prüfung"

"Vallelunga"
was the race track like described with the Wikipedia Link

"Salita" is only "Increase", or something like "Power at the mountain" ... "del Tuscolo" is the street
on the mountain/Hill which was 3,2 Kilometres long / about 2 Miles

"Clotoide" is the only word where nothing is to translate, but when you translate the test it is
going how fast, and on which length, the car can make a 90 degree change of direction

Hope this helps a little bit...

Richstang

Stephan,
Thanks for posting this unknown magazine cover and article!
Great find!

It looks like the same car used in the Dutch magazine "Autovisie" issue no44.

The '3H MFG 013' licence plate does tell us it was a PR car on loan for the European road tests.
Now if only we could figure out which car that was...
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

68countrysedan

Mr. S

Thanks for the linguistic come back. 

Quote"Clotoide" is the only word where nothing is to translate, but when you translate the test it is
going how fast, and on which length, the car can make a 90 degree change of direction

Interesting information reflecting language subtleties. I can better appreciate when you are perplexed by english idioms.

Yet another example that Google isn't the be all end all of knowledge, although you've done wonders uncovering the information you have.