News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

New rear glass too wide

Started by poboy427, June 08, 2021, 07:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poboy427

4 years ago I bought a new rear fastback glass from Auto City Classics. in Minneapolis.

Today my restoration reached a point ready to install the rear glass with NOS Ford gasket, NOS Ford clips and NOS stainless.  After paying for the install it is apparent  that the rear glass is bowed on the sides 1/8". There are 4 channel clip nails on each side of the rear glass. The glass is touching the middle two clip nails making it impossible to install clips or NOS trim. Measuring, and sighting with the use of a straight edge I see the edge of the glass is bowed. Tempered glass can not be cut or shaved. I can't even use a thinner off shore gasket

So I called the  company. I was told the glass was out of warranty NO OFFER of a trade.  Apparently the glass 'grew' since I drove out of state to pickup rather than ship it. To add insult to injury, it was suggested that my Shelby has had quarters that were put on wrong. My car is an original sheetmetal car family owned since early 70's  As I explained the original glass fit fine. etc etc.  Of course they have never seen or heard of any FB glass being a 1/4" too wide at any point on the sides. To make  matters worse his FB glass is all on back order so nothing there to measure against my new bad glass measurements. I even explained I had pulled the glass and measured both glasses off the car after I had paid $120 (good money after bad) to have it installed and removed. Yep new glass is irregular as hell. Who has bought 
new repo, date coded, glass that fits fine with a Ford NOS gasket? -Ray
6S554 Family owed since May 15,1974. Confirmed original alum T-10 4spd, MICO,

SPF 0373 Cobra S/C, Shelby alum 488 stroker FE Tunnel Port, TKO

67 GT350

The choices are.

Eat it and order another one.
Eat it and find a used one
Eat it and if you have your old one use it
Both a used one and possibly your original one can be polished and maybe used.
Or eat it and search for a used one.

Sometimes CL in your local area might work well for a nice used one. I went through this sort of thing many a times as restoration projects usually do not get done until many years after you have already bought parts, they cannot warrantee things forever.
RARE  Signature Delete

Chad

I had to eat it and use my original.  They even sent two replacements and they were to small!

Chad

poboy427

Chad Where did you buy the glass that was too big?

poboy427

I have considered those options  Old glass is too scratched to be polished. AS for warranty all I was asking for was a trade but before I got the words out he said he had none in stock to pull comparison measurements from.

Why I'm posting here is to find out who makes a repo glass that fits that I can have date coded. The car is in final assembly. Finding a nice used one could be weeks or months.

As well I like to hear about vendors who are selling glass that does not fit to avoid the same mistake twice. Any glass I find will likely be shipped from out of state. Try returning and explaining a piece of glass that is too fat by an 1/8" on each side.  Also try getting someone to measure before they ship. Good luck, as the exact point of measurement has to be pinpoint exact! But thanks for any referrals 

Wils1514

I just received a quote from ecs for a rear window for my fastback. It was around $500 for date coded and carlite etched glass and an additional $75 for the etched center line. I have not personally used glass from ecs but i have only heard good things. This was for a 67 fastback.

Cobra66

Found this on Craigslist Vancouver the other day. Just down the street from me. Unfortunately it's in Canada.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/pts/d/langley-mustang-fastback-rear-glass/7329970570.html

Chad

My glass was from ECS automotive concepts

poboy427

These venders want you to believe they have never seen this before.You hear that sort of response from new car dealers even with internet loaded with complaints.

Thanks Chad for tipping me to ECS. MY guess is they are made by same mfg. Bad batch of glass out there.

Does ACC ring a bell as a glass mfg co- anybody?  If I can determine if ACC produces all the bad glass the venders are pushing, I might be able to determine what venders to avoid-Ray

CharlesTurner

If you have your original, measure the dimensions and check with ECS if their dimensions match.  I have had good luck with them in the past.

I assume the dimensions of the original were compared to the repro?
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Chad

Legendary Motor Car did  the restoration for me and they took pictures and measurements and sent it to ECS at least twice!  They also sent them measurements of the original glass.  They sent ECS pictures of the new glass laid in the opening to show them where is was to big.  The guys at ECS were very nice and willing help but I do not think they have any control over the manufacturing process.

J_Speegle

Quote from: poboy427 on June 09, 2021, 05:35:10 PM
Does ACC ring a bell as a glass mfg co- anybody?  If I can determine if ACC produces all the bad glass the venders are pushing, I might be able to determine what venders to avoid-Ray

Not for me. ACC was the initials for the company (believe it was Auto  Custom Carpets)  that had the market for molded carpet for Mustangs then other cars for decades starting, if I recall correctly in the early 80's or late 70's- my only recall of that set of letters
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350bp

It is possible to hand sand tempered glass, but must make sure that it is kept cool and no extreme heat build up or it will pop. I've been in the glass industry for 40+ years and a good table guy should be able to take maybe 1/16" off of the edges. I would find a reputable glass dealer / installer in your area and explain what you have and see if they think they can help. Most guys will use an orbital sander or better is a belt sander to dress the glass edges. There are a few You Tube videos of this process.

Don
gt350bp

KR Convertible

Isn't the rear fastback glass laminated safety glass?