Author Topic: Freeway driving  (Read 10909 times)

Brandon

• View Profile
Freeway driving
« on: April 16, 2018, 11:19:57 AM »
67 GT500

Thinking about options to stop running 4K RPMs on the freeway on a regular basis.

Running a 3.89 rear end, but I'm hesitant to swap it.  I've done that on other cars before and don't like losing the low end.

What do people think about swapping in a 5 speed versus a GearVendors?  Would like to keep it as original as possible.  I'm not sure if either of these are thought better or worse of in that department.  Other ideas?

prototypefan

• View Profile
Re: Freeway driving
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 12:02:39 PM »
Tremec all the way

doing a conversion next week on my 65

have one in a 69 GT500, 2100 rpm at 70 mph, comes out of the hole like it has 4:11's . The 428 has ample torque to pull the car, rarely does one have to downshift on the freeway
you can actually have a conversation on the freeway, the noise level drops significantly and you don't have to go see you dentist and get your fillings checked after a long drive  :)

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 12:29:08 PM »
+1

To keep it as original as possible, keep your 4-speed bell and use the adapter plate.  If You use a Tremec bell, you have to switch to a hydraulic clutch or cable.  Both require more modification.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 01:01:53 PM »
Hone-O-Drive annouced they were gearing up to go back into production.

http://hone-o-drive.com/

Unfortunately, It appears it did not happen. Too bad, I would love to have one. They maintain their website tho???

Be gentle on your T-5. They are known to be fragile compared to a toploader.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 01:39:37 AM by 2112 »

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 01:23:46 PM »
If you're buying a new trans, go for the "Z" spec on the T5.  You could also go with a low profile TKO.  That'll handle the torque.  It all depends on how you want to drive and how much you want to spend.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 02:14:49 PM »
Will the Low profile TKO fit?

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 02:31:45 PM »
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/drivetrain/1605-put-a-five-speed-in-big-block-mustang/

This article says it does.  I haven't done it myself.  I have done a few T-5s and they seem to hold up well.  I wouldn't put it in a track car, but
for cruising and spirited driving, they seem fine.

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 04:39:39 PM »
After talking to many members that had converted their 66, I have done a T-5 swap with mechanical linkage with 3:89 rear and enjoy have the overdrive.  The T-10 has been set aside.  It takes awhile to get used to the new low first gear.  I used a later edition World Class T-5 (all T-5 are not the same) to avoid early model failures (ask anyone who raced an old Fox body Mustang) and more torque handling in the latter editions.   You gas bill will be more acceptable. 8)

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 09:12:05 PM »
Trans swap will keep it more original looking - lighter too. Can the trans swap be done without cutting any of the floorboard? If not then I'd go the gear vendor/hone-o-drive route.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 09:26:17 PM »
After talking to many members that had converted their 66, I have done a T-5 swap with mechanical linkage with 3:89 rear and enjoy have the overdrive.  The T-10 has been set aside.  It takes awhile to get used to the new low first gear.  I used a later edition World Class T-5 (all T-5 are not the same) to avoid early model failures (ask anyone who raced an old Fox body Mustang) and more torque handling in the latter editions.   You gas bill will be more acceptable. 8)
T-5 for a small block is fine . T-5 for a bigblock is taking a smallblock trans for granted and expecting too much IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 10:19:46 PM »
I run some t5s in my mustangs and all the small block cars handle it just fine. They made t5s for the 4 and 6 banger cars DO NOT USE THOSE. Find a 302 performance version. A small cut is necessary in the top right corner of the hole for the shifter to come thru.This is necessary when you go up into 5 gear. It is minimal approx. 3/8 must be trimmed no biggie for what you get from the conversion, ALOT of benefits. If budget is not a concern a TKO 6 speed box is available also fits the trans tunnel, I believe modified motor mounts were necessary to drop the whole thing 3/4 to 1 inch for clearance on everything to fit properly. Where there is a will there is a way. :)

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 10:55:13 PM »
This is all great info! Thanks to all for posting...had no idea.
Nothing beats a classic!

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 12:14:03 AM »
Been trying to post pictures.  That's an hour of my life I'll never get back!  I'll try again the morning.

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 12:42:17 AM »
One more attempt.  No cutting required.  Trans in neutral.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:04:06 AM by KR Convertible »

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 09:42:22 AM »
67 GT500

Thinking about options to stop running 4K RPMs on the freeway on a regular basis......."

In your shoes, this would be my preferred order of options:

1)  do nothing.  your car is not being damaged, or subject to accelerated wear by running it @ 4,000 rpm. If the trip requires it, your BB can run all day long at 4,000 rpm and then do it again day after day. It's not abuse, it's exercise. I like highway cruising at 3,500 to 4,200 rpm and have spent many full days traveling running those numbers. No need to downshift when passing, and the engine is making beautiful music in the midrange.

2)  change the rear end gearing to 3.50.  just buy a complete 3.50 pumpkin and in 2 hours  you will be done with the swap. That will drop the rpm down to 3,500 more or less, which may be less objectionable. Your low rpm torque will not dramatically be changed.

3)  a 5 or 6 speed swap is giving up too much of the 1960's character of the car for my liking. You might as well go al the way and just  put all  Shelby Mustang  sheet metal on top of modern underpinnings and be done with it.   However, many people love it.  IMO, driving modern cars has ruined their perspective.

In other words, they have gotten soft.

Z