Author Topic: Freeway driving  (Read 10911 times)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Freeway driving
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2018, 06:22:46 PM »
I installed a Gear Vendors on my Toploader in my 69 GT350 I really like it. It works great
Dan

Would love to learn more. Can you share pictures and suggestions?

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2018, 07:02:22 PM »
The Tremec was used in the Cobras of 93,94,95 these are the best cars of their generation and all parts on those cars are top shelf. Make sure you know what gen t5 you have some used gear oil and some used atf !

Brandon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2018, 10:34:40 PM »
Gear Vendor rates their unit to 1000lbs right?

I think Randy G. has had some racing experience with the Hone. Baldwin Motors used them more than anyone it seems. When I see them on Ebay, they are the Camaro unit which is up by (or on) the transmission as opposed to the Ford unit being on the 3rd member.

I love the mechanical lever aspect as well.  I have only seen one. It was at the Portland Oregon swap meet in 1987. It was on a red '66 GT350 and the owner loved it. He autocrossed and road-raced the car. It had the lever next to the driver's seat.

I never asked if it was fragile tho.

Sorry, are you saying the Ford unit mounts directly to the 3rd and the driveshaft connects to it, versus the Camaro version that sits in the middle or mounts on the transmission?

Here's the list of completed Hone-O's on eBay.  Are these all for Camaros?:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hone-O-Drive-Overdrive-Unit-Baldwin-Motion-Phase-III-Yenko-With-Output-Yolk-/332462111969?hash=item4d68493ce1%3Ag%3ABc0AAOSwtnpaGd63&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=rwvt0TDy4ja%252BLtPUgwSPWplYo%252FM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hone-O-Drive-overdrive-/202259880561?hash=item2f17a0da71%3Ag%3AQXkAAOSwyytaqDgQ&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=rwvt0TDy4ja%252BLtPUgwSPWplYo%252FM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-HONE-O-DRIVE-OVERDRIVE-MOTION-PERFORMANCE-SHELBY-PHASE-III-CAMARO-427-YENKO-/173150795587?hash=item2850977743%3Ag%3A90sAAOSwKXdafcPL&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=rwvt0TDy4ja%252BLtPUgwSPWplYo%252FM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hone-O-Drive-Overdrive/232735893047?hash=item363023e637:g:LSwAAOSwnbla1D8B&vxp=mtr

Brandon

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2018, 10:38:02 PM »
I installed a Gear Vendors on my Toploader in my 69 GT350 I really like it. It works great
Dan

Would love to learn more. Can you share pictures and suggestions?

+1.  Would love to see what one of these looks like installed.

Brandon

• View Profile

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2018, 11:41:46 PM »
Randy and Jeff know way more than I do.

That Hone site I linked to earlier appears to show authentic looking replicas. I just can't make contact with anyone at that business.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2018, 12:10:48 AM »
When gas prices go up, buy more gas and buy less food. That's my solution every time I pause to consider a 5 speed in big red.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2018, 01:36:13 AM »
When gas prices go up, buy more gas and buy less food. That's my solution every time I pause to consider a 5 speed in big red.

^^^^^

when the OPEC oil embargo hit in '73 I traded my '68 VW bug straight across for a used  '70 Olds 442 convertible (at the Olds dealership in OKC).   I was single and didn't mind gasoline being my biggest monthly expense.  Any car with a big V-8 was just being given away, and gas sipping imports were getting top dollar.

that 442 was the last GM product I bought,  it was too low and I kept hitting the oil pan every time I crossed the RR tracks. Got tired of removing it and hammering it out where the rods were hitting the inside of it....  Otherwise, a fun car.

Z
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 01:37:48 AM by zray »

Doog 427

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2018, 10:07:26 PM »
Hello

I have a GT 500 with built 427 side oiler stroked to a 488, dyno 592 HP and 609 torque, 389 Detroit locker, installed a Gear vendor, reasonable easy, no mods or cutting, remove tail shaft from 4 spd bolt it on, some wiring, push in clutch hit a button anytime over 40 mph and she goes into over drive. I think from 389 to 260, not that expensive either. Automatically releases under 40 MHP. No issues with handling the torque or HP

Totally changed the car, I love it still has right revs with 389 in 1 st and 2 nd but wow!! on the highway it is fantastic, way lower revs and noise and now instead of the truck lane I shift from 4 th into OD and head straight for the passing lane. I think my speedo only goes to 125 mph and did you know if you keep going needle will come around and start back at 5 mph again, never knew myself. I had so much fun the first ride all I did was go between HWY exits and accelerate the on ramps up into OD, probably 10 times it was exhilarating!! I simply Love it a whole new car

It works seamlessly, feels totally comfortable and wish I had done it 30 years ago when I bought the car. So now I can bang the gears and get great acceleration head out on the highway and pretty well pass anybody, No pictures handy.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2018, 10:14:01 PM »
Very interesting that it automatically disengages below 40.

How does it determine the speed?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2018, 10:23:31 PM »
Hello

I have a GT 500 with built 427 side oiler stroked to a 488, dyno 592 HP and 609 torque, 389 Detroit locker, installed a Gear vendor, reasonable easy, no mods or cutting, remove tail shaft from 4 spd bolt it on, some wiring, push in clutch hit a button anytime over 40 mph and she goes into over drive. I think from 389 to 260, not that expensive either. Automatically releases under 40 MHP. No issues with handling the torque or HP

Totally changed the car, I love it still has right revs with 389 in 1 st and 2 nd but wow!! on the highway it is fantastic, way lower revs and noise and now instead of the truck lane I shift from 4 th into OD and head straight for the passing lane. I think my speedo only goes to 125 mph and did you know if you keep going needle will come around and start back at 5 mph again, never knew myself. I had so much fun the first ride all I did was go between HWY exits and accelerate the on ramps up into OD, probably 10 times it was exhilarating!! I simply Love it a whole new car

It works seamlessly, feels totally comfortable and wish I had done it 30 years ago when I bought the car. So now I can bang the gears and get great acceleration head out on the highway and pretty well pass anybody, No pictures handy.
FYI interesting testimonial on Gear Vendor. It sounds great. I will have to pass that along. FYI you can send off your or other generic 120 speed and have it's face re silkscreened and calibrated for 140MPH like typical GT500's.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Doog 427

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2018, 09:05:43 AM »
gear vendor has sensor in it like speedo, taken off Tranny to register speed and turn off under 40 MPH, also little computer and power unit with switch somewhat hidden under dash..... I have a real Shelby so Speedo is 140 MPH then, I forget more often these days, so if needle went around to 5 mph then I was going far too fast, even if for a few seconds, ...

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2018, 11:03:14 AM »
Since you're looking for options, there is another way to go. I have a Richmond Super Street 5-speed behind my B351 with a 3.50 rear gear. 5th gear in the Richmond is 1:1 but first gear is 3.27 so you get the same torque multiplier effect as an overdrive transmission with a low (numerically high) ring & pinion. The part number for the one I'm using is 7041710A with a Ford 1-1/8" 26 spline input. You will have to fabricate a different transmission mount and cut the driveshaft, so that may not be something you want to get into. If you want more info or pics let me know.

$2721 at Jegs https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/m20ProductDisplayView?catalogId=10002&langId=-1&productId=50192&storeId=10001

~Kevin
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2018, 02:23:13 PM »
67 GT500

Thinking about options to stop running 4K RPMs on the freeway on a regular basis......."

In your shoes, this would be my preferred order of options:

1)  do nothing.  your car is not being damaged, or subject to accelerated wear by running it @ 4,000 rpm. If the trip requires it, your BB can run all day long at 4,000 rpm and then do it again day after day. It's not abuse, it's exercise. I like highway cruising at 3,500 to 4,200 rpm and have spent many full days traveling running those numbers. No need to downshift when passing, and the engine is making beautiful music in the midrange.

2)  change the rear end gearing to 3.50.  just buy a complete 3.50 pumpkin and in 2 hours  you will be done with the swap. That will drop the rpm down to 3,500 more or less, which may be less objectionable. Your low rpm torque will not dramatically be changed.

3)  a 5 or 6 speed swap is giving up too much of the 1960's character of the car for my liking. You might as well go al the way and just  put all  Shelby Mustang  sheet metal on top of modern underpinnings and be done with it.   However, many people love it.  IMO, driving modern cars has ruined their perspective.

In other words, they have gotten soft.

Z
Very well articulated and I have to agree.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"