Author Topic: mounting period correct tires  (Read 6307 times)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
mounting period correct tires
« on: June 09, 2021, 08:24:16 AM »
Well it appears corporate America is getting more stupid by the year. No chain tire stores in the Detroit area will mount a 1970s tire on a rim. It doesn't matter your intention as they cannot mount a tire over 10 years old. Safety issue. I asked have they ever mounted an old "good" tire and have it blow up? I told them to mount it and I'd fill it at home. Its a spare that will never hit the ground. So where are people going to mount their tires? Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

67 GT350

• View Profile
Re: mounting period correct tires
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 10:13:06 AM »
Stupidity of American people has led to the stupidity of American Companies. I bet you can get any person in China to mount it.

On a serious note, with care and common sense you might be able to do it yourself, with a pry bar and some muscle?
RARE  Signature Delete

davez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 10:16:48 AM »
How about a local gas station repair shop for cash?

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 10:20:52 AM »
I got tired of the BS and bought my own tire machine, balancer and brake lathe.  I don't depend on nobody for nuthin'!

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 10:25:14 AM »
How about a local gas station repair shop for cash?
There is one that works on new and old cars in Northville by my friend's house(if you are familiar with this area) . Old school 2 bay no gas shop. I was thinking of checking with them. Another shop many miles away just sold a set of 3 date coded 1970 F-60-15 tires. I never got over there and thought my friend would buy them. The owner found them stashed in his attic. Small tire shop. I wonder if he mounted those 50 year old tires?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 10:52:14 AM »
     The stupid is everywhere, I have experienced the same difficulties when attempting to have old tires mounted, if only to just hold vehicles up off the ground; the result is that I have realized I must mount them myself.  I even have purchased a tire mounding-dismounting machine, particularly for my truck tires, as they really are a little much to do by hand.     8)

Also many establishments will not mount a tire size not listed (in their computer   ::)  ) for a particular chassis by the O.E.; nor will some sell and mount tires on wheels unless the vehicle is present, this in order to establish proper application of the product.  So I guess with these policies in place, you'll get a big no!, if you ask them to mount your Polyglass  N50's on your 10" rims for '70 Camaro?   :o

And good luck, at getting anyone these days to get near the 'split-ring' rims (sometimes, but improperly referred to as "split-rims", though there is such, and I have some vehicles with such, but that's different, but they won't touch them either!) on the older trucks.     ???

Thanks, to the greedy self important P.I. Attorneys and the greedy low-rent clients that they attract, they have corrupted this portion of the judicial system into a money-making revolving door industry that just nullifies the righteous instances that deserve attention, and as presented by the O.P., but not limited to, interferes with the common function of our society.      >:(

Scott.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 11:01:24 AM by pbf777 »

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 11:05:11 AM »
     The stupid is everywhere, I have experienced the same difficulties when attempting to have old tires mounted, if only to just hold vehicles up off the ground; the result is that I have realized I must mount them myself.  I even have purchased a tire mounding-dismounting machine, particularly for my truck tires, as they really are a little much to do by hand.     8)

Also many establishments will not mount a tire size not listed (in their computer   ::)  ) for a particular chassis by the O.E.; nor will some sell and mount tires on wheels unless the vehicle is present, this in order to establish proper application of the product.  So I guess with these policies in place, you'll get a big no!, if you ask them to mount your Polyglass  N50's on your 10" rims for '70 Camaro?   :o

And good luck, at getting anyone these days to get near the 'split-ring' rims (sometimes, but improperly referred to as "split-rims", though there is such, and I have some vehicles with such, but that's different, but they won't touch them either!) on the older trucks.     ???

Thanks, to the greedy self important P.I. Attorneys and the greedy low-rent clients that they attract, they have corrupted this portion of the judicial system into a money-making revolving door industry that just nullifies the righteous instances that deserve attention, and as presented by the O.P., but not limited to, interferes with the common function of our society.      >:(

Scott.
Belle and Discount tire said it was a liability to their workers if the old tire blew up. I told them to mount and I would fill. Nope, they wouldn't even do that. Corp policy is 10 years old and they will not mount. I don't buy that crap that 10 year old tires are dangerous. My guy at Belle said they don't even use rubber in the tires anymore  :o Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 11:36:30 AM »
I don't buy that crap that 10 year old tires are dangerous.

Well I'll tell you that old tires can surely be unreliable!    ;)   But with reasonable assessment of the condition and consideration for intended use often older tires can still be of use. 

Besides, I'm trying to reduce my carbon footprint, I'll run'em down to the cord, and be disappointed if I have to throw out any tire with tread on it, no matter its' age!     ::)

Scott.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 12:06:25 PM »
I don't buy that crap that 10 year old tires are dangerous.

Well I'll tell you that old tires can surely be unreliable!    ;)   But with reasonable assessment of the condition and consideration for intended use often older tires can still be of use. 

Besides, I'm trying to reduce my carbon footprint, I'll run'em down to the cord, and be disappointed if I have to throw out any tire with tread on it, no matter its' age!     ::)

Scott.
I should have said all old tires. New tires can be dangerous also. This tire has no dry rot. Looks perfect inside and out with ZERO tire wear. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 04:58:22 PM »
Forget the tire stores.  Find a race shop. They're used to mounting some seriously wide tires on exotic, lightweight wheels.  Your job will be a piece of cake and they'll appreciate what the tire and wheel are for.
5S071, 6S1467

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 05:15:30 PM »
I should have said all old tires. New tires can be dangerous also. This tire has no dry rot. Looks perfect inside and out with ZERO tire wear. Gary

I've had tires like that, they look perfect until mounted and aired up... small surface cracks appear.  Not always, maybe you'll get lucky.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Poor Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 06:16:18 PM »
Gary;
Check with Jeff James up by Frankenmuth, or Nyle Wing in Ionia.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 07:34:52 AM »
Gary;
Check with Jeff James up by Frankenmuth, or Nyle Wing in Ionia.
I have heard that Jeff was closing up shop. Actually he isn't that far from me when I'm at work in Flint.  Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 07:39:54 AM »

I've had tires like that, they look perfect until mounted and aired up... small surface cracks appear.  Not always, maybe you'll get lucky.
I only plan to have enough air in the tire so it doesn't look flat. I cleaned the tire with the old formula Wesley's bleach white and the tire inside and out does look really nice. I have had my late model cars have little side wall cracks. Major tire store told me those were normal and don't worry about them. Ran another 30K on one set up to 88K miles from new and had them replaced only because it was winter time and wanted full tread. Bought the same tires.  Charles, hopefully my friend will call you soon on the parts. I told him last night not to procrastinate(he missed out on a fuel pump here on the forum by a day). Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 06:26:07 PM »
Lawyers of American people has led to the stupidity of suing American Companies for anything.
Fixed it - It's easier to say no than actually do a little work and maybe get sued if that 1 in a billion thing happens

up by Frankenmuth
Reminds me - we need to plan a MI trip for the grandson to see a 7+ acre Xmas store in July. Lunch at Zehnder's anyone?

« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 06:30:06 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless