News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Power steering and cobra T pan on a 67?

Started by 1175, June 09, 2021, 11:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When I rebuilt my motor, I installed an original T pan on my 67 GT 350.  At the time I had manual steering on it. As I get older, I am reinstalling power steering.  Are there major clearance issues with a Cobra pan installed with the PS hoses or should I change out to stock pan?

Thanks
Jon

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 1175 on June 09, 2021, 11:19:56 AM
When I rebuilt my motor, I installed an original T pan on my 67 GT 350.  At the time I had manual steering on it. As I get older, I am reinstalling power steering.  Are there major clearance issues with a Cobra pan installed with the PS hoses or should I change out to stock pan?

Thanks
Jon
The clearance issue is with the bracket that holds the rubber junction for the PS hose. The bracket can be bent out of the way if you want to run the pan . The oil pan was supposed to be part of the package given various vintage illustrations however it didn't happen . No doubt the clearance issues with the bracket was part of the decision making process not to use the T pans.  If the pan was not already on there I would say stay with the steel pan(just me) . Since the pan is already on there it will be much more work to change it vs bending the bracket out of the way slightly once you install the PS components. You can always change it later if you so desire.  The genuine pans are selling in the 1000.00-1600 dollar range which is a incentive to take off and sell . The repro pans are getting pricey plus they are a noticeably heavier compared to a genuine pan.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

Or just saw the bracket and re-weld/braze it together.  You need to reposition the part the mounting bolt goes into.