Author Topic: 14" tire recommendation  (Read 6675 times)

Dkutz

• View Profile
14" tire recommendation
« on: April 16, 2018, 12:44:44 PM »
Its not a Shelby but since many 66 Gt350's have the 14" magnums I will ask here.

I am looking at replacing my 20 year old Goodyear Eagle GTII's on my fastback.  I am running 205/70 R14 on Magnum 500's.  Any suggestions on tire choice.  I want black wall.  BFG TA are expensive and don't get good reviews form many.  Many of the tires I look at I don't like the sidewall, but I guess I am picky.  Any suggestions?  Here are the tires listed at my local go to tire shop.  Looking at maybe the Kuhmo's or Cooper trendsetters.

https://www.americastire.com/fitmentresult/tires/size/205-70-14?q=%3Arelevance&sort=relevance&page=0

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:04:27 PM by Dkutz »

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
Re: 14" tire recommendation
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 02:54:18 PM »
For basic around the town driving.
Coopers are fine.
BFG’s fine.
Does Goodyear still offer an Eagle?
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Dkutz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 02:58:11 PM »
For basic around the town driving.
Coopers are fine.
BFG’s fine.
Does Goodyear still offer an Eagle?

No they don't

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:13:35 PM by CSX 4133 »

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 04:32:51 PM »
I have found on my 65-66 daily drivers that any name brand radial 14 inch is fine.  With fifty plus years of advancement in the tire industry, I find that just about any current brand radial is far better than what was available originally as a two ply poly-glass belted tire.   The 14 inch selection is a bit limited.  I have been satisfied with BFG so far.  I have used Cocker classic two ply radials for shows and do not like the higher speed handling, especially over 50 mph compared with radials.  Others may have some good input from experience. 8)

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 07:52:14 PM »
BFG-s are a great street radial, in fact they are ALL good street tires. Good tires are all around 120.00 tire if that's not in your budget let the sticker price guide you to what makes you happy. :)

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 09:13:24 PM »
BFG-s are a great street radial, in fact they are ALL good street tires. Good tires are all around 120.00 tire if that's not in your budget let the sticker price guide you to what makes you happy. :)

My take is a little different.

The BFG Radial T/A is a tire thats sits squarely on the intersection of great looks & abysmal traction.

I'm not talking about racing quality traction, just the kind that's nice to have going around a long sweeper at a moderate speed, or the traction you need if it becomes necessary to swerve to avoid a kid on a bike. In those everyday conditions the BFG Radial T/A will NOT reliably get your car in the direction you are wanting it to go.

Plain and simple, it's a dangerous tire that gives ZERO warning by howling or squealing like most tire will do before traction is lost. With the Radial T/A. one second you are driving fine and next second the car is headed for parts unknown and unwanted.  And that's just on dry pavement. If you are buying a tire for a daily driver, and it might rain, putting the BFG Radial T/A on your car gives you the same odds of survival as playing Russian Roulette, or worse.

If you have to stay with a 14" tire, the Uniroyal Tiger Paw, or the Michelin All Season are way better than the BFG Radial T/A.  And they are reasonably priced.

If you can still find them, the 14" Pirelli P-4 is another good all season tire. 

I'm not a BFG hater. I have their tires on my Jaguar XKR, and when  they still cared about the vintage market, I put their 14" Comp T/A's on my '66 GT350. Those WERE great tires. I wore out 2 sets of them, and had a great time doing so. Sadly no longer available in the 14" sizes.

Coker ?  It's a shame for the money they are asking, they don't use a better compound with a decent speed rating.  Currently, IMV, all they have to offer is looks.

If moving up to 15" is an option, there are several good tires to choose from, and a couple of excellent tires that will hang with or beat most 17" tires. But they are costly.

Z

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 10:04:08 PM »
z-..... We have had this discussion in the past so there had to have been an evil BFG moment lurking in your past. I realize not everyone one likes the same thing, but for most owners on here that will get the most enjoyment from their cars if it emits a squeal rounding a corner going for some milk at the market, most all tires are good enough. The discussion here with an emphasis on street driver and budget leads us to the econo tire market. If BFG-S were too much Cokers and Pirellis and a host of others as well as upgrading to 15s is out of the question because of cost. :'( That's why it is difficult to offer help when most common tires are out of reach. This is like recommending a motor oil or tooth paste, there are no winners or loosers it just comes down to what they like and their budget. Not trying to be a.. just trying to help! Good luck to those looking for an inexpensive tire for their rides. Just don't expect too much from them.

Dkutz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 10:16:19 PM »
z-..... We have had this discussion in the past so there had to have been an evil BFG moment lurking in your past. I realize not everyone one likes the same thing, but for most owners on here that will get the most enjoyment from their cars if it emits a squeal rounding a corner going for some milk at the market, most all tires are good enough. The discussion here with an emphasis on street driver and budget leads us to the econo tire market. If BFG-S were too much Cokers and Pirellis and a host of others as well as upgrading to 15s is out of the question because of cost. :'( That's why it is difficult to offer help when most common tires are out of reach. This is like recommending a motor oil or tooth paste, there are no winners or loosers it just comes down to what they like and their budget. Not trying to be a.. just trying to help! Good luck to those looking for an inexpensive tire for their rides. Just don't expect too much from them.

Let me be clear, I wouldn't mind spending the $600 on BFG TA IF they were good, and worth the extra cost.  But I have heard too many stories like the one above, that they are junk.  PLUS many people get them for the vintage white letter look, which I don't want, so maybe there is something better to choose.

werthie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 10:19:11 PM »
IMHO, the best 14" tire available and suitable for the '66 Shelby (street driving) is the Michelin XWX 215/70VR15.  Pricey, yes, but a small percentage of the total value of these cars.  They fill up the wheel wells beautifually . . .   Luckily, I found a set of five (5) barely used XWX's on eBay.

alan
6S929

werthie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 10:22:29 PM »
i'd love to post a picture of the XWX on a ten-spoke wheel, but the website isn't letting me do so.
can someone help?  the size is 348X520, which seems pretty small.

ala
n

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 10:45:45 PM »
Yes, I've had some near  misses and close calls  with a a couple of sets of the Radial T/A's. And if I was the only one, I'd chalk it up to my bad driving. But there are several people I know who DD their classics, whose experiences mirror what I've endured with those greasy BB's masquerading as tires.

There are other 14" choices that are reasonably priced, and without the unpredictability.

Z
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:48:10 PM by zray »

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 09:57:35 AM »
I liked the COMP T/A
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI