Author Topic: Rear Brake Parts for '66 Hertz  (Read 3338 times)

SHELB66

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Rear Brake Parts for '66 Hertz
« on: April 28, 2018, 01:50:36 AM »
It's time for me to do the rear brakes on my '66 Hertz.  Is there anything special I should know before purchasing the parts?  I'm going to replace shoes, all hardware, and brake cylinders.  I assume I would be ordering parts for a '66 K Code (or Special 289) Mustang in case "Shelby" isn't listed in the parts book.  The car is street driven only.  I'm accustomed to ordering parts for the wife's Escape or my '96 Mustang driver so that's why I'm inquiring.  Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Craig R 
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

roddster

• View Profile
Re: Rear Brake Parts for '66 Hertz
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 10:21:25 AM »
 Parts store personnel: If you are lucky, they will not assume that is just any Mustang for the rear shoes.  If they seem confused, I suggest you ask them to look up the rear shoes for a Fairlane wagon, or, a V-8 Econoline.  you want 10 X 2 1/2" width shoes.

pjg01

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 11:27:53 AM »
Virginia Classic Mustang has everything you need and Brant knows shelbys.
http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com

OldGuy

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 01:01:48 PM »
I believe most if not all new, brake hardware is made in China.  Have not noted one brand being superior to another.  I typically buy Raybestos product as they historically had been one of the OEM suppliers.  When rebuilding brakes I disassemble wheel cylinders and calipers.  Inspect cylinder walls for flaws and surface finish. Inspect flare seat and threads.   Deburr any sharp edges.  Prime and paint non mating surfaces.  Reassemble with Raybestos silicone assembly lube.  Insure cylinder walls and seals are fully coated.  Use nickel anti seize on self adjuster threads, bleed screw threads, supply line threads, and all rub points.  Brake shoe and pad vendors are personal preference.  Lot of hype.  I have been satisfied with Centric and Raybestos.  Like to find a vendor for thin, plastic shim to assemble between the axle flange and brake drum.  PIA to disassemble after 10+ years.

vtgt500, I'v attached a link to the worlds best hardware store/supply (McMaster Carr) regarding the plastic sheet that you want to keep your brake drums/axle flange interface from sticking together.  The choice is yours regarding thickness of material. I think that you'll find other "stuff" that suits your fancy at this hardware store.

Happy hunting

Frank

https://www.mcmaster.com/#shims/=1cm0cp5

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 03:08:35 PM »
no v8 econolines back then. phred

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 03:10:20 PM »
Virginia Classic Mustang has everything you need and Brant knows shelbys.
http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com
+1 . If you don't want to waste time just call Brant. The vast majority will not know the special needs of a 66 GT350 rear brakes.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SHELB66

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 04:47:10 PM »
Thanks everyone for the info.  I have purchased from Brant before and have been very pleased.  That's the route I'm going to take.

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 04:52:29 PM »
Thanks, guys.

Craig, Let me know if you have any questions.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

SHELB66

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 05:26:44 PM »
Thanks, guys.

Craig, Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, Brant!  I just sent an inquiry thru your website.

Craig R
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 12:32:12 PM »
   Craig,
       If your car still has the original metallic shoes , I doubt they will need replacing unless they are very thin. "If" you go to a regular "composite" ( we can't say or use asbestos anymore) , you will probably need to adjust the proportioning valve because of the different friction characteristics of the different materials.
The original brake springs were special to deal with the higher heat that the metallic shoes generated.
     Brant knows all that stuff.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

SHELB66

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 03:34:38 PM »
^^^  Thanks for the info, Randy.  These shoes are gone as small sections of lining at the top part of the shoe are breaking away.  Also, one of the brake cables is broken which negates the brake adjustment mechanism.  Can't wait to install all new parts!

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac