Author Topic: Power Steering Questions  (Read 2772 times)

rbarkley

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Power Steering Questions
« on: April 16, 2018, 02:27:42 PM »
1)  Do all 67's have the 1/4" pressure point fitting on the control valve or did some have the 5/16th?   Mine has the 5/16th with a date code of 70, so it must have been swapped out at one point in time.

2)  Return line from the power steering pump to the p/s cooler.  What does this line look like and how is it routed?  Is it a rubber line completely with crimp clamps on both ends?

Thanks!

Ron

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Power Steering Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 03:49:17 PM »
1)  Do all 67's have the 1/4" pressure point fitting on the control valve or did some have the 5/16th?   Mine has the 5/16th with a date code of 70, so it must have been swapped out at one point in time.

2)  Return line from the power steering pump to the p/s cooler.  What does this line look like and how is it routed?  Is it a rubber line completely with crimp clamps on both ends?

Thanks!

Ron
I would say that is a true statement for 67 Shelby but not sure about all 67 Mustangs. The change may have occurred after Shelby production ceased but 67 Mustang production was still running. I am not sure about 67 mustang production in that respect. The return line was a 3/8 inch rubber hose not showing texture on the outside surface(slightly larger outside diameter then fuel line)  that routed along and on top of the driver frame rail where it attached to the P/S cooler with crimp clamps at the radiator support.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rbarkley

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 06:25:50 PM »
Awesome write-up and info Bob.  Thank you!  I learn something every time I crawl under the car and confirm here at the SAAC Forum.   Unfortunately, I paid to have the wrong power steering control valve rebuilt.  Lesson learned!
Ron 

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 07:37:31 PM »
.......... The return line was a 3/8 inch rubber hose not showing texture on the outside surface(slightly larger outside diameter then fuel line)  that routed along and on top of the driver frame rail where it attached to the P/S cooler with crimp clamps at the radiator support.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 07:52:34 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 09:37:59 PM »
  Take note:  The crimp-clamps go forward of radiator core support.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 09:55:13 PM »
  Take note:  The crimp-clamps go forward of radiator core support.
Correct. The P/S cooler with hoses installed and crimped was inserted through the holes and screwed down before the nose was installed. the loose end were then connected to the pump and the return line before being crimped. In fact vintage pictures indicate this was done prior to the car being shipped to SA. Ford did it.  FYI there was a change of clamps to Whitick style on the return line and pump for 68.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rbarkley

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 09:59:50 PM »
The pics help a great deal.   Thank you!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 11:05:38 PM »
The pics help a great deal.   Thank you!

Your welcome. Just noticed that the middle picture shows just part of an aftermarket clamp a PO must have installed to the lower hose ::)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bigblock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 07:23:49 AM »
1)  Do all 67's have the 1/4" pressure point fitting on the control valve or did some have the 5/16th? 

Some added info from previous cars. 67 Cougar (Oct. build) and 67 Mustang (Nov. build) both 390s had the 1/4 inch fitting. A 67 Cougar (March build) 390 had the 5/16 fitting.