News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1966 Mustang GT350 rear seat latch and cover style

Started by 6s1640, April 18, 2018, 05:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

Hi guys,

I believe all 65 Mustang fastbacks had a rear seat latch with no bumper and smaller hole in latch cover.  I am seeing the early 66 GT350 also had this same latch style.  But on later 66 cars, I am seeing a latch with bumper  and larger hole in the cover to accommodate the strike and bumper.  Is this consistent with your observations?  Any idea on the transition point.  I might try the MPC to see if a date is specified.

Thanks

Cory

J_Speegle

Quote from: 6s1640 on April 18, 2018, 05:35:04 PM
I believe all 65 Mustang fastbacks had a rear seat latch with no bumper and smaller hole in latch cover.  I.........................

Cory here are a half dozen 65 examples from unrestored cars as far back as Aug 64 production

August 64

Sept 64

Have dozens of more examples

Believe you were expecting an example like the one below from 6T09K1445xx a Nov 66 (approx)  built car

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s1640

Hi Jeff,

Do I have it backwards?  The 65 Fastbacks have the latch with bumper and large hole in cover and the 66 latch has no bumper and small hole?  The problem I am having, I am looking at two 66 GT350's with both styles.  One is OEM and the other is not.

It also look like the fold down "stop" bracket or recess plates are different between the two years.

Thank you

Cory

J_Speegle

Quote from: 6s1640 on April 19, 2018, 12:48:25 AM
Do I have it backwards?  The 65 Fastbacks have the latch with bumper and large hole in cover and the 66 latch has no bumper and small hole?

Haven't studied it in great lengths. The no bumper smaller side hole version appears to have been used for a short period of time (remember there were differences in the latch receiver on the fold down also) but the majority of 66's look like the 65's I posted.

More 66 Examples - Couple of different plants and production periods

Quote from: 6s1640 on April 19, 2018, 12:48:25 AMIt also look like the fold down "stop" bracket or recess plates are different between the two years.

Yes that is a difference between the production years for Mustangs
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s1640

Hi Jeff,

I think you just told be both cars could have their original latch and covers, even thought they are different.  I am keying off your statement "The no bumper smaller side hole version appears to have been used for a short period of time (remember there were differences in the latch receiver on the fold down also) but the majority of 66's look like the 65's I posted.

Thanks

Cory