Author Topic: 67 Brake rotors  (Read 3140 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
67 Brake rotors
« on: June 12, 2021, 07:44:51 AM »
Where can I get new ones without the integral bearing hub? So far I can't find any.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 67 Brake rotors
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 08:04:41 PM »
Where can I get new ones without the integral bearing hub? So far I can't find any.
NPD sells in their catalog a rotor hat that can be used with a original bearing hub.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 06:49:14 AM »
NPD sells in their catalog a rotor hat that can be used with a original bearing hub.

I sold my lathe too soon. The only way to get these rotors is to cut the cast in hub out now.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

davez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 08:57:41 AM »
Npd is out of stock. Rockauto and other sources seem to have them.

Doug are you saying they won't work without  some type of machining cutting? I thought you needed a press for the studs.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 10:42:14 AM »

Doug are you saying they won't work without  some type of machining cutting? I thought you needed a press for the studs.

I'm thinking that I will need to buy them with the integral hubs and machine them off to get to original specs.

There are lots of sellers that list them but when you get them they have the hubs integral.

The nerds are just reading off of the application charts which are showing the integral hubs as "correct".

This is similar to the listings now showing that a BF32 and a BF42 spark plug are equal.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 10:45:08 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 11:49:35 AM »
I have one "due"from NPD.  Seems  somebody there mixed up the part numbers between the replacement rotors and the cheaper ones with the cast all in one hubs. A rarity for NPD.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 07:21:01 PM »

I'm thinking that I will need to buy them with the integral hubs and machine them off to get to original specs.

There are lots of sellers that list them but when you get them they have the hubs integral.

The nerds are just reading off of the application charts which are showing the integral hubs as "correct".

This is similar to the listings now showing that a BF32 and a BF42 spark plug are equal.
NPD sells the one piece rotor and hub assembly not to be confused with the separate rotor hat only that you have to add your hub to and press in the studs that they also sell. You would have to confirm that you were not going to compromise the integrity of the one piece rotor if you cut deep enough into the side to make a one piece rotor look like a two piece rotor.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 08:42:30 AM »
I had both versions on the bench recently and it definitely appears IF they are exemplary of what is available that the "one piece" is very machinable down to the original version.

I'm not sure what the thinking is with the original design vs. the one piece integral with hub, since it would appear that there is less machining with it then the current integral hub/rotor version has?

Considering the current state of the "original" version being more expensive then the one piece is suggests to me that they are starting with the one piece casting and machining them down? That would have to be in a cheap labor market like China or somewhere else "offshore"?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 08:57:42 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 10:52:06 AM »
I had both versions on the bench recently and it definitely appears IF they are exemplary of what is available that the "one piece" is very machinable down to the original version.

I'm not sure what the thinking is with the original design vs. the one piece integral with hub, since it would appear that there is less machining with it then the current integral hub/rotor version has?

Considering the current state of the "original" version being more expensive then the one piece is suggests to me that they are starting with the one piece casting and machining them down? That would have to be in a cheap labor market like China or somewhere else "offshore"?
https://www.npdlink.com/product/rotor-disc-front-disc-brake/210370?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Drotor%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1965&year=1965  . This the aftermarket alternative  to be added to a factory 2 piece rotor bearing hub.  I think there may be a communication problem because as I have stated before there is a after market alternative that when added to a factory rotor hub will look so much like a two piece factory rotor it is typically accepted in concours judging. The after market rotor "hat" that is now available when added to a factory bearing hub will certainly be much easier to obtain and achieve the correct look . It will most likely be more economical then having one machined . I am still skeptical that a one piece off shore rotor can be made to look like a acceptable two piece design by machining visible defining cuts (to make it look like two separate pieces) with out compromising the integrity of the casting and still be safe . It would be catastrophic if the one piece rotor broke in two from the machining while driving for example. Unfortunately the NPD part is currently out of stock.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 10:57:21 AM by Bob Gaines »

rcgt350

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 11:13:26 AM »
Are the 66’ Shelby rotor/hubs the same as 67’s? I have a set of 66’s and they appear to be 2 piece, would that  have been from the factory?

davez

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 11:36:30 AM »
I believe 65 to 67 all the same
says in stock here
https://www.brakewarehouse.com/catalog-2/search/125.61053

Can the studs be reused or do new ones have to be installed?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 12:42:34 PM »
Yes confirmation that 65-67 rotors are the same . Yes you can typically reuse the studs.  It is next to impossible to go through the process and not be off by a little so you need to turn the rotor to true up the rebuilt rotor before installing it .

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 12:48:18 PM »
Are the 66’ Shelby rotor/hubs the same as 67’s? I have a set of 66’s and they appear to be 2 piece, would that  have been from the factory?
The two piece design is what was used from the factory. There are differences between factory hubs and factory rotor hats compared to after market. They are nuance differences but differences all the same . The main thing is the 2 piece design. Unless every single other thing on the car is absolutely assemblyline  (as in premier/ thoroughbred) I would not worry about those nuance differences.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 01:37:32 PM »

https://www.npdlink.com/product/rotor-disc-front-disc-brake/210370?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Drotor%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1965&year=1965  . This the aftermarket alternative  to be added to a factory 2 piece rotor bearing hub.  I think there may be a communication problem because as I have stated before there is a after market alternative that when added to a factory rotor hub will look so much like a two piece factory rotor it is typically accepted in concours judging. The after market rotor "hat" that is now available when added to a factory bearing hub will certainly be much easier to obtain and achieve the correct look . It will most likely be more economical then having one machined . I am still skeptical that a one piece off shore rotor can be made to look like a acceptable two piece design by machining visible defining cuts (to make it look like two separate pieces) with out compromising the integrity of the casting and still be safe . It would be catastrophic if the one piece rotor broke in two from the machining while driving for example. Unfortunately the NPD part is currently out of stock.

I think that it is presumptuous to assume any of the aftermarket rotors are not made "overseas".
I would expect a "Genuine Ford Replacement" part to be a "North American" product.

Other then that it is a "strength of materials" class.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

davez

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2021, 01:53:38 PM »
They sell a high carbon alloy and a cryo treated alloy
Does anyone know what the differences are?