Author Topic: Clutch Pedal Support ?  (Read 3882 times)

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Support ?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2021, 07:49:58 AM »
All great information guys.... thank you.

One more question..... Does the clutch itself incur any extra wear if the pedal is not returning that last little bit ?
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2021, 07:54:35 AM »

One more question..... Does the clutch itself incur any extra wear if the pedal is not returning that last little bit ?

Not the clutch but the syncros in the transmission likely are. Of course there is a bit of overtravel designed into the pedal linkage.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

sg66

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2021, 11:59:54 AM »

The throw out bearing is more likely to wear depending on how much "not returning" is happening

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2021, 12:19:16 PM »
If you change the pedal bracket bushing to the roller bushings and weld the washers to the bracket correctly, the pedal should return all the way. If it doesn't, then I would guess the horseshoe bushings for the return spring are trash or the metal on the clutch pedal or the spring bracket has yielded. I had the clutch pedal on my 65 yield and all that was needed to fix was to weld and file the u-shape back into the pedal. I also just recently put the NPD clutch pedal stop in my car and now the clutch and brake pedal are about the same height. This was another nice part that was more than satisfied with if you are intending to drive your car. It is not an exact replacement, but nice for a good driver.

Don
gt350bp

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2021, 07:57:51 PM »
+1 totally agree.

The throw out bearing is more likely to wear depending on how much "not returning" is happening
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

gjz30075

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2021, 04:54:29 AM »
The Mustangsteve kit has sealed bearings and requires some welding and is heavy duty.
https://mustangsteve.com/product/bbk/
Greg Z
6S2249

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2021, 02:14:22 PM »
I went ahead and just ordered a standard rebuild kit comprising of 13 parts that all may or may not be used during the rebuild.

If the original stuff lasted 55 years, I'll let the next owner worry about it in 2075 !
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN