Author Topic: Need help rebuilding GT350 engine  (Read 4761 times)

avogodro

• View Profile
Need help rebuilding GT350 engine
« on: June 20, 2021, 09:07:42 PM »
My father and I are currently rebuilding an original 289 from a 1965 GT350.  We are putting the heads back together and looking for information on a correct head gasket to use for this.  Would aftermarket head gaskets be considered poor taste?  IF not where could I source original head gaskets?  IF aftermarket is ok what are some recommendations?

Also is there a correct painting of the valve covers?  From what my father remembers the valve covers were black crinkle with the powered by ford and raised bits being unpainted aluminum.  Is this correct?

Thank you for any assistance

Nick

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Need help rebuilding GT350 engine
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 09:34:46 PM »
For 1965 (and about the first 1/3 of 66) the correct valve covers are open letter and unpainted. They are sand cast and say Buddy Bar inside them
https://www.diyford.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/13-2.jpg

Later valve covers did black crinkle paint and were die cast with closed letters.
https://www.diyford.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/14-2.jpg

If I remember the HiPo used a thinner head gasket. .030 vs .040. Someone will have the correct part #. I'd use something modern unless this will be some concours trailer queen.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 03:07:11 AM »
Hi Avogodro,

There are NOS head gaskets out there that might fit the desire, but I would not advise using them.  Who knows how they have ben handled over the years and if they are still good.  I'd go with a modern head gasket.  I have had good luck with the FelPro Head Gaskets.  It would not be any fun to put together with a NOS period gaskets and then have to redo because they did not work.  A blown head gasket and coolant spewing all over you nice engine compartment would be awful.   Just my thoughts.

Cory

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 12:01:26 PM »
   For an engine like you have I use the Ford Racing "expanded graphite" head gasket , P/N M605i-C51. You DO NOT need the "special bolts they mention on the early 289 block. Once installed they look very close to originals and will not fail.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 02:17:06 PM »
Randy
You mention "special" head bolts on early hipo engine. How do they differ than the "standard" bolts. Other than being "special"...
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 02:54:42 PM »
Randy
You mention "special" head bolts on early hipo engine. How do they differ than the "standard" bolts. Other than being "special"...

Standard 289 head bolts are normal "torque spec bolts. The "new" ones for sell with the gasket/bolt "kit" are torque to yield and have a "washer head" design like a Boss 302 head bolt. "I" refuse to use the torque to yield bolts.

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 03:09:35 PM »
Randy

Standard 289 head bolts are normal "torque spec bolts. The "new" ones for sell with the gasket/bolt "kit" are torque to yield and have a "washer head" design like a Boss 302 head bolt. "I" refuse to use the torque to yield bolts.

+1!!   TTY bolts suck!

avogodro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 10:22:13 PM »
Thank you for the replies.
I don't plan on this being a trailer queen.  In fact we have been thinking of getting it to running condition and driving it as is for a bit. I think we would use a modern head gasket. We will be looking at the felpro and the Ford racing graphite gasket. Are all modern gaskets made to be right/left independent? We have another set that has a raised crush ring around them but the ring is block side down on the right and head side up on the left see the attached photo.

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 12:15:20 AM »

I would suggest ARP head bolts and know they're going to do the job.

sg66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 06:30:55 AM »
Are all modern gaskets made to be right/left independent? We have another set that has a raised crush ring around them but the ring is block side down on the right and head side up on the left see the attached photo.
You need to have the water jacket openings as you have them. Flipping a gasket to make the crush rings the same on both sides is almost 100% guaranteed engine failure. The ring itself doesn't really care if it's up or down once everything is torqued down.

avogodro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 05:59:32 PM »
Thank you for clearing up the crush ring question for me. It doesn't look right but it makes sense. Does anyone have a source for rocker arms and the corresponding nut? We need enough to finish off one head.
Thank you for all the help.
Nick

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 11:30:01 AM »
    Pioneer Products still offers them.  BTW ''factory" head bolts are grade 8 and have never failed me in the 54 years I have been building 289s. Nothing wrong with ARP except the extra cost and non stock looking bolt head.

avogodro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 09:55:04 AM »
A few more questions regarding the motor rebuild
1. Can anyone give me a good source piston rings and possibly a new piston as replacement for the original? Trying to avoid chinese parts.
2. How can I prep the valve covers?  Should they be bare aluminum or painted/prepped somehow?
3. Is there a specific color black to paint the block?

Thanks Again for all the help.
Cant wait to get this car going.

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 04:43:59 PM »
If you have the 289 HiPo from a '65 GT350, please contact Howard Pardee, the SAAC Registrar, and share the Ford VIN stamped on the block.  Your engine would be extremely desireable to the current owner of the car it belongs to...certainly enough to purchase another 289 HiPo engine and then some!
5S071, 6S1467

avogodro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2021, 09:56:52 AM »
We have the car it belongs too as well... 8)