Author Topic: 1966 Ford GT40 Alan Mann Lightweight - AM GT-1 - Gooding - Pebble Beach 2021  (Read 3203 times)

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile

Up for auction:

1966 Ford GT40 Alan Mann Lightweight - AM GT-1

Gooding & Company - Pebble Beach 2021

Link to auction: [0]=Live%20Auction&filtersInput[auctionYear][0]=2021&filtersInput[liveAuctionVenue][0]=Pebble%20Beach&sortBy=ENDING_SOONEST&pageNumber=0]https://www.goodingco.com/lot/1966-ford-gt40-alan-mann-lightweight/?filtersInput[auctionType][0]=Live%20Auction&filtersInput[auctionYear][0]=2021&filtersInput[liveAuctionVenue][0]=Pebble%20Beach&sortBy=ENDING_SOONEST&pageNumber=0

The development of the GT40 ushered in a new era of racing and automotive production for the Ford Motor Company, revolutionizing the landscape of domestic competition cars with its innovative presence and performance. In 1963, Ford Motor Company began developing a purpose-built endurance racing car with the ambition of beating Ferrari at the most famous race in the world – the 24 Hours of Le Mans. With the creation of the GT40, Ford established a new subsidiary led by Le Mans winning team manager, John Wyer. The first GT40s produced by the new team, not yet fully developed into the historic racing icons they are now revered to be, were unveiled in 1964 and campaigned in a variety of international events. To help develop the cars further, Ford contracted three successful private teams and tasked them with perfecting the GT40: Shelby American, Holman-Moody, and Alan Mann Racing.

Alan Mann Racing, based in Byfleet, Surrey, had found great success in touring car racing with the development of the Ford Cortina, and in 1964, was contracted as a Ford factory team. They attracted a roster of star drivers, and their cars were immediately recognizable for their red and gold liveries. In late 1965, Ford Motor Company specifically tasked Alan Mann Racing with developing an even more competitive version of the GT40. Having extensively tested an early Mk I GT40, Alan Mann knew how to reduce weight and make various adjustments to the chassis and suspension in order to achieve optimal improvements. Consequently, Alan Mann Racing commissioned Abbey Panels to produce five special GT40 tubs to a new, updated design. They also fabricated lightweight aluminum bodywork for them, reducing considerable weight from the standard fiberglass bodies.

The car offered here, AM GT-1, is the first of just two aluminum-bodied GT40s ever built, as the remaining three tubs ordered by Alan Mann were incorporated into the Mk II program. An exceptionally rare machine, AM GT-1 was completed in early 1966, finished in the iconic Alan Mann Racing livery, and equipped with a highly tuned 289 V-8 engine, five-speed ZF transaxle, Halibrand knock-off wheels, and featuring more than 100 updates over the standard Mk I competition car. AM GT-1 showed immediate promise in its racing debut at the 1966 12 Hours of Sebring, where it was driven by Sir John Whitmore and Frank Gardner and qualified in 7th position, running well before it was forced to retire with clutch problems. It next appeared at the Le Mans Test in April 1966, where it was the fourth fastest car behind Ford’s experimental J-Car, a Mk II GT40, and sister car AM GT-2. Ultimately, Ford decided to retire the small-block powered Alan Mann Lightweights and only entered its seven-litre Mk IIs at the 1966 24 Hours of Le Mans. Thus, AM GT-1 was sold to Holman-Moody and then passed through the hands of several private owners.

The current consignor acquired AM GT-1 in 1982 after it had been damaged in a road accident, and set about to restore the car to its original splendor. The restoration project was entrusted to famed GT40 expert Bob Ash of Georgia, who restored the car to exacting standards over a period of nearly 15 years. Today, the car appears just as it did at the 1966 Le Mans Test, wearing its classic Alan Mann Racing colors and race number “16.” Its exceptional restoration, completed in 2019, has since been awarded with a Second in Class at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance®, a near perfect score at the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals, and a special Le Mans award in a competition judged by the Shelby American Automobile Club.

This is undoubtedly one of the most unique and historically significant GT40s to come to public auction in years. AM GT-1 has never before been offered for public sale and is being offered after nearly 40 years in the hands of one passionate owner.

Youtube Video - https://youtu.be/RRwuL_hWTnc
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 05:30:51 PM by silverton_ford »

Special Ed

• View Profile
Rex had the gt40 at hallett  tulsa meet filmed around the track so does anybody know how to post that? I plan on going to saac sonoma and watch him rack then go to reno hot august nights the next week then go to  gooding auction  and watch Rex AM GT40 sell and pebble beach sunday lots of car things to do in 2 weeks.

sfm5s081

• View Profile
$5 mill?

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
$5 mill?

Believe I had heard it was insured for around $25M...
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Pure Art. One of the most beautiful race cars ever made.

Special Ed

• View Profile
Its very expensive to insure a car like that when finished and racing it around the tracks in todays world. Rex is still working a full time job and farming the family farm to help pay for the insurance bill. I know rex would like to keep the car if it werent for the expensive insurance but he wants to get the car out for everyone to see and enjoy and he gives people rides in it and drives it at speed so its a garage queen that gets used and driven like it was originally built for doing. Not many RARE EXPENSIVE CONCOURS restored cars actually get used like this today so u got to give him much credit for that as this car has been a life long investment for this farm boy haha!!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Its very expensive to insure a car like that when finished and racing it around the tracks in todays world. Rex is still working a full time job and farming the family farm to help pay for the insurance bill. I know rex would like to keep the car if it werent for the expensive insurance but he wants to get the car out for everyone to see and enjoy and he gives people rides in it and drives it at speed so its a garage queen that gets used and driven like it was originally built for doing. Not many RARE EXPENSIVE CONCOURS restored cars actually get used like this today so u got to give him much credit for that as this car has been a life long investment for this farm boy haha!!

2.5% of stated value? $300,000 a year?  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
   Former owners include Dr. Ed Recknagle (rip) and Larry Zane . It was is "crashed" condition when they owned it. A Bob Ash restoration would at minimum be "like new" probably better than new. His work is incredible.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

SCJSTU

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
   Former owners include Dr. Ed Recknagle (rip) and Larry Zane . It was is "crashed" condition when they owned it. A Bob Ash restoration would at minimum be "like new" probably better than new. His work is incredible.

Never heard of a Bob Ash in Georgia?.....where is he located?
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1 Azure Blue
1956 Ford F100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU bagged
1961 Falcon 2 door wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD custom

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I think he/they did the restoration on P/1054 that was revealed not too long ago, thought I had a photo but not finding it.  Might have been in an issue of The Shelby American.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

430dragpack

• View Profile
Bob has been around these cars for a long time.  I remember when he lived in Des Moines, IA and my dad would go help him with driveline things on Cobra’s etc.  Most of the time I had to stay in the car because kids weren’t allowed in Bob’s garage.  But I did get to go in a few times, great craftsmanship even back then.

mikeh

• View Profile
This pic was when he had just gotten off the track at Hallett(Tulsa) Got a couple of videos but not real good.
Thought he was just going to pace the field or something, couldn't believe seeing it staying out on the track for the entire race/session whatever, Rex trying to stay out of the way and the other cars trying not to hit him!!!
Cool stuff

Special Ed

• View Profile
Mike dont you have video of rex driving at speed at hallett as it was sent to me?

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
Saw the car at MCACN 2019 and heard it running several times there. An exceptional car. Really really nice.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

mikeh

• View Profile
Mike dont you have video of rex driving at speed at hallett as it was sent to me?
Yes Chris probably sent you the one I sent him.
I'll try to post here!