Author Topic: Rear Shock Application  (Read 2901 times)

nightmist67

• View Profile
Rear Shock Application
« on: July 03, 2021, 03:45:51 PM »
I have a pair of non-adjustable rear shocks with "Autolite", "Made in Canada", "C9ZF 18080 J1", "T8KD", "Rear" stamped on them.  What application(s) would be correct for their use?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Rear Shock Application
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 05:44:55 PM »
Sorry but the MPC's I have available don't list a application for the -J1  Maybe someone with 69 book can help there.

With the other markings they would have likely been originally installed on a Dearborn or NJ built Mustang
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 11:17:19 PM »
To add- that shock is not a Shelby application for any year ether .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 12:27:16 AM »
Thanks Bob should have made that clear in my last sentence
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

nightmist67

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 02:03:39 PM »
I had received some anecdotal information that the shocks may have been used on Boss 302 Mustangs, but I did not want to make any assumptions until I received a consensus from the larger community as to their actual documented application.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 03:37:34 PM »
I had received some anecdotal information that the shocks may have been used on Boss 302 Mustangs, ..................

http://www.boss302.com/rearshock.htm

http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=85389.msg561508#msg561508 ;)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 06:46:14 PM »
The shock had to be special because the Boss 302 had staggered shocks which required the shock to have more travel in its stroke . Even though the extra travel was only needed on one side given the staggered arrangement Ford made both shocks the same. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

nightmist67

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 09:53:49 PM »
What would be the correct shocks (front and rear) for a 1969 GT350 convertible with A/T and a late December 1968 build date?  My understanding is that they would be blue painted adjustable Autolite shocks for both front and rear.  What alphanumeric markings would be stamped on the front and rear shocks?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 11:38:21 PM »
What would be the correct shocks (front and rear) for a 1969 GT350 convertible with A/T and a late December 1968 build date?  My understanding is that they would be blue painted adjustable Autolite shocks for both front and rear.  What alphanumeric markings would be stamped on the front and rear shocks?

Fronts I have pictures of start out as Z7Z-D  just like the 68 shocks only the date codes would be later

Of course they would have the setting arrows, the FIRM-NORMAL-SOFT and other markings that go with adjustable AUTOLITE made by Gabriels