News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

66 Gt350 Magnum 500 Paint Code

Started by dm289, April 18, 2018, 01:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dm289

Does anyone happen to know the paint code of the silver/grey color used on painted Magnum 500's in 1966?

Thanks...

6s1640

Hi dm289,

There has been lots of discussion on this subject in the Forum 1.0.  There was never a paint code offered. There has been lots of people trying to figure out, but not much has really been developed and published.

Part of the problem I think there were variations back in the day, making it harder to nail down one.

Cory

Cobra66

I'm looking for a set of painted magnum 500's. Is there anyone out there that manufactures or sells the painted ones? Either re-pops or originals.

6s1640

Quote from: Cobra66 on April 19, 2018, 12:11:46 AM
I'm looking for a set of painted magnum 500's. Is there anyone out there that manufactures or sells the painted ones? Either re-pops or originals.

Hi COBRA66

Buy the chrome repops, rough up or strip chrome and paint.

I know a GT350 owner that currently has the painted Magnum 500's on his car.  He learned from a prior owner that the car came with chrome Magnum's.  He has since learned his wheels are marked 795C.  The "C" means chrome.  They are original chrome wheels painted. They are the original wheels to the car.   ;)

Cory

dm289

Thank you for the feedback, I do not own a Shelby however I have a set of 14 x 6 magnums I want to paint and install on my 66 Mustang.  Since the code is a mystery, would you guys feel that Argent used on later rims would be most like what was used originally?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: dm289 on April 19, 2018, 08:03:20 AM
Thank you for the feedback, I do not own a Shelby however I have a set of 14 x 6 magnums I want to paint and install on my 66 Mustang.  Since the code is a mystery, would you guys feel that Argent used on later rims would be most like what was used originally?
I can't give a formula on what was used but Argent used on later rims is definitely not close. From my perception trying to describe it in words I would say it was closer to grey primer but instead of flat had a semi gloss sheen. Others may think differently.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby