Author Topic: Gasoline  (Read 6935 times)

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Gasoline
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 03:13:58 PM »
Would someone please explain if the oxygen (weight%) matters. I see that in the chart of the various Sunoco fuels. Is a high number or a low number better? What about zero? Or should I just ignore that column?

I don't profess to be a fuel expert by any stretch, but I do a lot of reading. According to the description for Sunoco's EX02 extreme oxygenated blend it is useful in high altitudes and where race rules restrict flow such as; restrictive heads, 2bbl carbs, crate motors, etc. Since the amount of power you can get out of any particular engine is directly proportional to the amount of air (oxygen) and fuel that you can cram into the cylinders, fuel with added oxygen lets you bump up the jets to deliver more fuel which equals more power. See https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel/ex02

Also, as long as you have a good octane number, does leaded matter?

Lead increases octane as well as lubricating the valvetrain. See https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/tech-article/race-fuel-101-lead-leaded-racing-fuels

I assume the fuels with “E” in the name have the dreaded ethanol. Correct?

Not positive, but I don't believe the EX02 is ethanol based. See more about alcohol & octane: https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/tech-article/alcohol-and-octane

Thanks,
Steve

The fuel needs of a vintage muscle car like a Shelby and the needs of a full-on race engine are quite different, so take that into consideration. There is no sense buying race gas when pump gas will do for a particular application. ~Kevin
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 12:00:28 AM »
Europe uses ROM, which tends to be higher than MON.  I have seen the archaic test equipment that some refineries use based how octane ratings started over a century ago .  It is a large one cylinder engine that is run at idle until it knocks under compression and then the fuel is calibrated.  Some labs now use a spectrometer test method rating the iso-ocatane and heptane in fuel.  Then there is the higher octane rating of blending ethanol due to its cooler burn and all the chemistry gets insanely boring.  Bottom line, use what makes your car run well as per its tuning without detonation and/or damaging the plugs.

The octane rating for aviation fuel is different.  The pilots here can tell you about it.  And so is diesel.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 11:51:43 PM »
I used to buy 100 low lead for my car at the airport - and took regular car gas to run in the airplane. It was certified for anything over 80 octane.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless