News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

KR500 convertible

Started by mikeh, July 11, 2021, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

Well, the World Registry says # 3193 is the only 3.91:1 car.  Call me amazed if that's the truth.

I am open to see more information, I would love someone to get some pictures of the warranty tag and or build sheet.  This is one to look at!

Thanks for posting. I enjoy learning new things.

Coralsnake

I was able to find some more pictures in the auction!

Unfortunately, nothing definitive.

Royce Peterson

Pete,

What's not to believe? Kevin has a lot of documentation - so does SAAC. Any rear axle ratio other than 3.50:1 is pretty unusual in non - AC Shelby GT500 or KR for 1968. The way I read the Marti Report it's 1 of 1 convertible KR500 with the 3.91 ratio.

While I believe the car is legit, I am not a fan of the 3.91 ratio as I happen to own one so equipped.

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 11, 2021, 01:05:41 PM
Well, the World Registry says # 3193 is the only 3.91:1 car.  Call me amazed if that's the truth.

I am open to see more information, I would love someone to get some pictures of the warranty tag and or build sheet.  This is one to look at!

Thanks for posting. I enjoy learning new things.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Coralsnake

It would be unusual because...

It would be unusual because it is likely the only 1968 Shelby built without a pre-determined axle

It would be unusual if there was a special axle code for a one off Shelby axle

It would be unusual because other than the Ford record (aka Marti info) there isnt any other supporting evidence

It would be unusual because every other KR convertible w/o AC has a 3:50 rear axle code "H"

Im not saying it didnt happen, but I can say I have seen errors before and documented them.

So rather than blindly take the Ford information for gospel, I choose to look at all the evidence and then make an informed decision.

Royce Peterson

Call Kevin and ask him. You have his number. He doesn't make mistakes often but when he does he makes every effort to fix it.

I doubt it has anything special as far as the axle tag. 3.91 was a regularly available axle ratio with or without traction Lok in mid 1968 model year. It would have the same tag as mine (other than maybe date code) if it still has the original tag.

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 12, 2021, 07:53:51 AM
It would be unusual because...

It would be unusual because it is likely the only 1968 Shelby built without a pre-determined axle

It would be unusual if there was a special axle code for a one off Shelby axle

It would be unusual because other than the Ford record (aka Marti info) there isnt any other supporting evidence

It would be unusual because every other KR convertible w/o AC has a 3:50 rear axle code "H"

Im not saying it didnt happen, but I can say I have seen errors before and documented them.

So rather than blindly take the Ford information for gospel, I choose to look at all the evidence and then make an informed decision.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

TLea

Quote from: Royce Peterson on July 12, 2021, 09:16:22 AM
Call Kevin and ask him. You have his number. He doesn't make mistakes often but when he does he makes every effort to fix it.
Hmmm. Not too sure about that. Not a slam on Kevin but all he has is the input that he has from Ford.
If the input is wrong then the information is wrong. Like pete I can think of at least a dozen times where the Marti report did not match the build sheet, buck tag or other information

mikeh

looks like it hammered for $157K

Side-Oilers

By the photos, it also looks to be 1 of 1 special ordered with "500 KR" side stripes.   :P
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

68krrrr

Lol Didn't even notice that until you mentioned it
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue