Author Topic: Oil for 427 Medium Riser mechanical lifters  (Read 5181 times)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Oil for 427 Medium Riser mechanical lifters
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2021, 11:41:32 AM »
Preaching to the choir, we have always used Mobil 1

"Lo barato sale caro"

Let me know how that works for you Tony! I'll keep on using "green oil" in my race engines , VR1 in my flat tappet engines , and conventional or synthetic in factory roller engines. Oil is one thing you shouldn't cheap out on.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2021, 11:50:23 AM »
   I know you bleed red white and blue! Just poking you in the ribs.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2021, 12:56:20 PM »
   I know you bleed red white and blue! Just poking you in the ribs.

Randy you wouldn't believe how true that statement is.

Speaking of ribs love those things and by the way are you aware there is a "national chicken wing shortage?"
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

8T03S1425

• SAAC Member
  • Next to sex, I like my Shelby best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2021, 01:23:32 PM »
I never really thought about oil's ability, or inability, to keep additives in suspension, but it certainly makes sense that if oil sits without agitation for a prolonged period of time, heavy additives will settle. Is that really a consideration in a wet sump configuration? I ask because the oil pick-up is very close to the bottom of the oil pan, and it seems to me that whatever liquids are down there are going to be picked and pumped through a running engine, quickly producing a homogeneous liquid.

I know nothing of dry sump applications, so it seems to me that oil additive separation is a greater concern in a dry sump.

I find discussions like this to be very informative and interesting.

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & ‘74.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2021, 04:12:04 PM »
................. oil's ability, or inability, to keep additives in suspension,

Within the oils' chemical composition of "additive-packages" this concern falls under the responsibility of the "binders".       ;)

Scott.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2021, 10:24:01 PM »
Lets take a look back to when the 427s ran the streets and tracks of America 63- 67, 30 weight was the go to for most vehicles. 40 weight if you wanted to be racy. Worked good then and motor oil technology is even better today, use this to guide you if you have a stock engine driven in a street environment, things get more complicated for any racy applications. Your engine builder will help you if your not sure what to do. ;)

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2021, 10:30:21 AM »
I never really thought about oil's ability, or inability, to keep additives in suspension, but it certainly makes sense that if oil sits without agitation for a prolonged period of time, heavy additives will settle. Is that really a consideration in a wet sump configuration? I ask because the oil pick-up is very close to the bottom of the oil pan, and it seems to me that whatever liquids are down there are going to be picked and pumped through a running engine, quickly producing a homogeneous liquid.

I know nothing of dry sump applications, so it seems to me that oil additive separation is a greater concern in a dry sump.

I find discussions like this to be very informative and interesting.

Steve

Steve the additives ( and on a new engine include assembly lube) literally coat the bottom of the pan with a sludge like film . How much falls out determines the thickness of of the build up. "Oil circulation" may pick up "some" near the oil pick up while running but when the engine shuts off , the separation begins again. It IS possible that over , let's say 10 oil changes , the build up could be gone or nearly gone as new oil "could" pull some of the additives and others could come out when the oil is drained repeatedly. Those concerned about lifter failure should be aware that a camshaft made with a 2* lobe taper is hard to make fail unless there is bind in the valve train or ridiculous valve spring pressure. I haven't lost a lobe in 40 years on a flat lifter cam , solid or hydraulic.
   Randy
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 01:09:32 PM by gt350hr »

shelbyhertz66

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2021, 10:51:11 AM »
Hi All,
So I just had my 67 Shelby's hipo machined and rebuilt by a shop that did my Hertz car's engine years ago
and at that time he advised only  Brad Penn .  Now he is using Maxima high performance oil 10w40
He is a very busy full service race engine shop so i am using the Maxima. By the way Brad Penn was sold
a while back so unsure if the zinc formula is still the same , maybe that's why he changed.
Dave

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2021, 01:14:23 PM »
   Brad Penn was purchased by DA Lubricants which has been around since automobiles were invented. They sponsored MANY Indy cars in the day. They have NOT altered the original Kendall GT1 / Brad Penn formula.

rkm

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2021, 02:30:15 PM »
Dave, if you are curious, send off a sample of the old stuff and the new stuff and have it tested. It cost me$35.00 for piece of mind.