Author Topic: Correct specs for 427 S/C and full comp Cobra  (Read 4019 times)

rkm

• View Profile
Correct specs for 427 S/C and full comp Cobra
« on: July 13, 2021, 06:05:24 AM »
Who knows the correct factory recommendations for the suspension on a 427 S/C with bronze bushings? What is the loaded ride height, camber and toe, front and rear? Goodyear Blue Streaks. I have street specs, but no accurate comp specs.

Any gurus out there?

Kim

rkm

• View Profile
Re: Correct specs for 427 S/C and full comp Cobra
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 10:26:07 PM »
No gurus left in SAAC. Wow.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 11:22:16 PM »
I would try and have a little patience rather then using the strategy of trying to get a response by making others fell guilty for not replying to your question quickly. That strategy may get the opposite effect that you expect. Regardless I hope you are able to get your information. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 02:03:28 PM »
This question reminds me of when Saleen bought an Indy car from Andretti and they kept the setup books. Basically they said nope you can't have them trade secrets.
Same with your car - setup depends on the track, your driving style/ability (do you need the car firmly planted or can you be happy with it being on the edge), even your tire wear goal (you may be willing to burn down a set of tires in a short race for a little better handling where a different setting may allow them to last long enough to avoid an extra pit stop). Start with the basics of the stock set-up set the corner weights and go from there.
Car setup is a science and the feel of the car on a good drivers butt is the key. When Shogun (SHO powered Ford Festiva) was first finished it had a nasty habit of wanting to swap ends at anything over 80. We couldn't figure it out. Enter Pete Halsmer and a 30 mph pass in the shop parking lot. One question "caster in the rear?" - Yes stock Taurus just moved everything to the back - take it out - problem fixed. In less than a minute he had figured out what we were chasing for weeks.
Search out Patrick Bedard's article on Indy car setup being a Rubik's Cube - what you do to one corner changes all the others. A Cobra has almost a many adjustments save aerodynamics.
I guess what I'm trying to point out is somebodys setup from their car won't work on your car.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

rkm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 04:22:55 PM »
Here are the specs published in the first issue of the Marque, the old Shelby American automobile club magazine. It purports to be the factory specifications for alignment on a 427 street car. Obviously lots of people consider this to be proprietary information and I’m not aware of any place that the competition car specs have ever been published. It would just be a starting point in any event but I’d be kind of interested to see what the settings were

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 04:52:53 PM »
While it might not apply to your car, you could ask Bill Murray for his setup on CSX3029.

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 08:49:57 PM »
Here are the specs published in the first issue of the Marque, the old Shelby American automobile club magazine. It purports to be the factory specifications for alignment on a 427 street car. Obviously lots of people consider this to be proprietary information and I’m not aware of any place that the competition car specs have ever been published. It would just be a starting point in any event but I’d be kind of interested to see what the settings were

I would presume that an S/C would have had default alignment specifications when one was originally sold, so I don't know why they would be proprietary. Would they have been the same as street specs? Also, I would presume that a buyer could request a custom set up or know the defaults, so if he changed them he would know where his starting points were.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 09:20:00 PM »
Street specs are in the owners manual.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rkm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 06:33:45 AM »
Thank you Bob! I had never noticed that (or I had forgotten) but there they are on page 17.

But I can't believe they raced these things running 0 degrees of camber on the front. Lots of weight up front. So I will continue my hunt for race specs, if anyone knows. But thank you.

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 09:21:41 AM »
Who knows the correct factory recommendations for the suspension on a 427 S/C with bronze bushings? What is the loaded ride height, camber and toe, front and rear? Goodyear Blue Streaks. I have street specs, but no accurate comp specs.

Any gurus out there?

Kim

Hello Kim,

Earl from NorCal here. Reach out to Drew Serb at the Cobra Experience in Martinez Ca. I’m not sure if you’re planning to attend SAAC 46 but I believe there will be an event held there. He will definitely know the specs you are looking for, but not off the top of his head. Try contacting Emily Serb (daughter) to put you in contact with Drew. Keep in mind they would only be a “base line” for a comp car.
Been a long time, regards to your wife and daughter.

Cheers
~Earl J
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 09:26:22 AM by SFM5S000 »

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 09:33:26 AM »
Gordon Gimbal would be another person who would definitely know, but Drew is easier to reach. Gordon on the other hand is easier to talk to. Just my opinion only.

~E

rkm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2021, 10:18:19 AM »
Thanks everyone. Yes sir all I’m trying to convince Lisa to come to Northern California and break all the rules. I might’ve succeeded this morning. If so I can talk to Drew or the Park  boys etc. and get the inside poop. Hope to see you soon. If you’re scheduling another cruise through the mountains I’ll tell Lisa to take her Dramamine.

rkm

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2021, 09:13:59 PM »
Here it is:

Front and rear camber 1 degree negative
Front and rear toe 1/8th total 1/16th per side
Front ride height 4"
Rear ride height. 4  1/2 "

'Nuff said.

rkm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2021, 10:03:25 PM »
Hey Earl,
I made in but now
I'm locked down for 2 weeks. Sorry we missed each other.