Author Topic: 1966 Wheels DIV II  (Read 2494 times)

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
1966 Wheels DIV II
« on: July 15, 2021, 08:10:51 AM »
I am at the point where I need wheels and tires for 6S1816 Hertz.  Seems suppliers are months out on the 66 Shelby style magnums.  What other options do I have, 10 spokes?  Would 10 spoke wheels be points deduction if on Hertz car for judging?  Anyone out there have a nice set of 66 Magnums available?  I'll post to WTB section once I have an understanding of the acceptable wheels for DIV II judging.

Thanks

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 1966 Wheels DIV II
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 11:39:12 AM »
I am at the point where I need wheels and tires for 6S1816 Hertz.  Seems suppliers are months out on the 66 Shelby style magnums.  What other options do I have, 10 spokes?  Would 10 spoke wheels be points deduction if on Hertz car for judging?  Anyone out there have a nice set of 66 Magnums available?  I'll post to WTB section once I have an understanding of the acceptable wheels for DIV II judging.

Thanks
If you choose to put ten spokes on a Hertz car be prepared to show reasonable proof for the out of the ordinary claim that was the way it was delivered to Hertz or the way it was delivered to the first owner after Hertz. Given the known expectation of Hertz car specifications expect a deduction without reasonable proof.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 11:39:57 AM »
  You could do like some of the "high end" MCA guys do and "rent " them from someone who has them and isn't going to the convention. Sounds silly but I know it has been done by the Boss 429 guys.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 11:47:57 AM »
  You could do like some of the "high end" MCA guys do and "rent " them from someone who has them and isn't going to the convention. Sounds silly but I know it has been done by the Boss 429 guys.
Randy not just MCA guys . SAAC participants have been known to rent or borrow blue dot tires,original batteries ,hipo fan belt ,wheels etc. Most of the instances I am aware of revolve around 65 66 GT350's.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 11:51:11 AM »
What a car is like and what parts are on it when it gets concours award recognition is sometimes very different from when it goes up for sale shortly thereafter.

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 02:16:56 PM »
What a car is like and what parts are on it when it gets concours award recognition is sometimes very different from when it goes up for sale shortly thereafter.
Sorry, I just don't agree with this at all....Borrowing parts to get that all important "Award".

Most ridiculous thing I know of when it comes to showing then selling a Shelby, Boss, etc., without those high end parts. 

Where is the Award's place?? 

**Shelby Owner: "Hey, I got a gold award for my Shelby, thanks to John Doe for loaning all those parts to me to get that award".

Now it's time to sell:
**Shelby Buyer: "Where is the parts that I seen in the photos"?
**Seller: "Oh, I took them off and gave them back to John Doe who really shelled out all the dough to get his own Shelby that Award". But, I DID get the same award as he".

"Now, let me go back inside and look at that award over my fireplace, come on, you can look at it too before you buy my Shelby without those high end parts"!!

Sorry guys, JMO.  I'm sure I'll ruffle some feathers over this one ::)   

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 02:34:48 PM »
     I agree . It bothered me when I first heard of the practice being done. I don't do concours so I let it go.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 03:51:58 PM »
I am at the point where I need wheels and tires for 6S1816 Hertz.  Seems suppliers are months out on the 66 Shelby style magnums.  What other options do I have, 10 spokes?  Would 10 spoke wheels be points deduction if on Hertz car for judging? 

Yes there would be a deduction and not a small one given the number of points in the category/section. The chrome Magnums are shown on the invoice for your specific car according to the registry.  Can't have a car built unlike it was originally and call it a full and complete restoration

Maybe someone has a set of 5 sitting on a shelf waiting for a restoration in the future or one that has not gotten that far.

Thought about getting a set about 6 months ago and put it off or I would have them sitting around.  Not a good practice (for me) to put things off
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 04:44:49 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 04:10:34 PM »
   I have 4 repop tires and my original spare , I would have to see where two of the wheels are along with caps and lug nuts.
    Randy

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 10:36:57 PM »
Did all the Hertz cars get the chrome version of the Magnums?
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 10:40:01 PM »
Did all the Hertz cars get the chrome version of the Magnums?
They were supposed to. There is no doubt a anomaly out there.

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 10:53:26 AM »
Just checked all of my SAAC/SA historical documentation.  6S1816 to confirm what Jeff stated on the SA Invoice dated 4.25.66 shows "Hertz Spec Wheel at $105.55"  I assume this means the Magnum is what my car was delivered with. 

Now I need to find 5 wheels  :)

Thanks all for the valuable information and your time
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 11:10:15 AM by Shawn »