Author Topic: 1965 Shelby 3 Hole Steering Wheels are available  (Read 4185 times)

gbart14

• View Profile
1965 Shelby 3 Hole Steering Wheels are available
« on: July 16, 2021, 08:37:38 PM »
Hello, all. I finally have the first 15" 3 hole steering wheels finished and have confirmed all the dimensions by comparing with Rich Williams' original wheel. These new wheels are made using the original Springall drawings made for Shelby in late 1964 / early 1965. Note that Moto Lita had nothing to do with these early wheels back in the day. I have been chasing this for about 3 years. Last year in Oct, I discovered a company in England that purchased the original Springall Steering Wheel patterns and tooling used to make wooden steering wheels in the 50's and 60's. When you go to their web site, you can see the level of precision and quality they are involved in. During my many discussions with the new owner of Springall, he discovered he had the original Shelby drawings and the original tooling used to make the 3 hole steering wheels. (I have a copy of the original title block and the revision blocks). Another discovery that may be new to some is that the first several 3 hole wheels in 1965 had drilled holes done by hand. I have confirmed dimensions from Scott Evans who has an early drilled type wheel. The diameters and placement of the first 3 hole wheels is a bit different from the second batch. I have no clue as to how many of the early wheels were produced or what cars they were on except for what people have told me. The second batch had punched holes and used press tooling. I have measurements from an original second batch wheel that Rich Williams loaned me for the last 18 months and I confirmed the same dimensions from several 65 Shelby owners with original wheels. My car wants the second type and therefore that has been my focus. 5A114 had an early wheel. If you look at the photos of the interior of 5S114 and compare it to later cars, you can begin to recognize the differences in the hole sizes.

I now have in my hands the very first two of these wheels produced in June 2021. One goes on my car and one goes to a great friend Rich Williams who unselfishly loaned me his original wheel for study over the past 18 months. The wood is mahogany laid up in strips in hoop fashion just as the originals. I have just now confirmed all dimensions against the original wheel including aluminum frame thickness, etc. They are stunningly perfect. Note that Springall's intention is to reproduce the first type 3 hole wheels as well as the 16" Cobra wheels. They also are working on the center chrome plated boss (hub) for the 65 three hole and later slotted wheels. Also note that the aluminum frame thickness is exactly the same as the original. Many of you know that the original wheels were somewhat thin and that they could be bent with vigorous driving. These are the same. They are as close to perfect original as you can get. Note that these are all made by hand and therefore, may differ from wheel to wheel just as the originals did.

I am not in the business of selling these now that I have mine. However, I will promote this great product found and reproduced after all these years with the help of some passionate old school craftsman in the UK. I will have mine to show at SAAC in SAAC 46 Sonoma. Contact me if you want to see it. I will bring it to the banquet on Saturday night. If you want to bring your original wheel for comparison, please do. Otherwise, please contact Springall directly.

The early drilled wheels we are calling Gen IIA because Gen I was the 16" Cobra wheel. The later wheels like I have we are calling Gen IIB. So, to repeat: Gen I = early Cobra type 16" wheel with split frame at the center. Gen IIA = Shelby wheel early 1965 with 3 holes measuring approximately .480", .630", .890".  Gen IIB = Shelby wheel 1965 with 3 holes measuring approximately .615", .665", .835" (this is the one that I have for 5S243).

I want to thank the following people for lending me their time in pursuit of this missing link to our cars: Rich Williams (loaned me his original wheel for the last 18mo), Howard Pardee, Nolen Beck, Scott Evans (provided dimensions from an original Gen IIA wheel), Steve Whitt, Bill Goodwin, Dave McDonald, Joe Walling, Danny Jenkins, Louis Garcia. There may be others that I missed and for that, I apologize.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 07:52:59 PM by gbart14 »
SAAC Northwest President, current - 5S243 plus 65 Mustang coupe track car plus 2016 GT350, past 6S286

camp upshur

• View Profile
Re: 1965 Shelby 3 Hole Steering Wheels are available
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 08:55:20 PM »

How truly impressive. Congratulations!
Your efforts hark back to the club of old!!

gbart14

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 09:06:15 PM »
Thank you, very much. You made my day!
SAAC Northwest President, current - 5S243 plus 65 Mustang coupe track car plus 2016 GT350, past 6S286

Jbarela

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 09:23:45 PM »
Looks great, but a bit confused, I thought you were getting these for us, do we have to call springall ourselves and order this?

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 10:20:41 PM »
Same question, who do we contact to purchase? Beautiful work!!!!
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

gbart14

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 10:59:37 PM »
Jimmy, from the beginning, I was clear that I did not want to be in the business of selling these wheels. I did this for my own wheel first and to get the purity these cars deserve. I bought a wheel from Moto-Lita that was just not right. So, I started on the trek. I do not want to be the middle man between buyers and the seller. Too much hassle at my age. I do not need it. Contact Springall directly. It is clear on their web site how to contact them. You can tell them I sent you and they might double the price! Hah!! Mark Davies is a prince and has gone above and beyond to make sure we got it right.

gbart14

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 11:01:54 PM »
Thanks Bob Gaines! If anyone wants me to purchase the wheels and then turn around and ship them to you, it will cost more, like at least 30%. I wanted to make it simple.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 11:22:58 PM »
Congrads on what appears to be a great project/product and out come for your efforts.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 02:40:11 AM »
I went to the website above and could not find anything for Shelby or a Cobra

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

gbart14

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 03:25:38 AM »
Just ask them. It is not up on their web site, yet. They are a small company. Tell them what you want.

chris NOS

• SAAC Member
  • 5S241 actual owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2021, 08:29:22 AM »
i just sended email to order , one , i ll let you know how it goes , thank you all making this happen!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2021, 09:02:31 AM »
These look amazing!  Thanks to all involved!
Nothing beats a classic!

gbart14

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2021, 11:29:10 AM »
Note: They are aware of my designation: Gen I = early Cobra type 16" wheel with split frame at the center. Gen IIA = Shelby wheel early 1965 with 3 holes measuring approximately .480", .630", .890".  Gen IIB = Shelby wheel 1965 with 3 holes measuring approximately .615", .665", .835", of course then Gen III would be the 15" wheel with slots. If you know your car had a Gen IIA wheel, they may be able to make it for you now. We have discussed that and I believe they are ready. Just ask them.

Note - I would think we should call these "continuation" wheels rather than "reproduction" wheels. What do you all think? Here is a photo of the title block and the change block from the original drawings along with photo of the shop. 

Jbarela

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2021, 12:40:40 PM »
I 100% agree it's a continuation original wheel, not a reproduction part!

Jbarela

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2021, 12:55:44 PM »
i just sended email to order , one , i ll let you know how it goes , thank you all making this happen!
if you would not mind asking them if they will do a group discount? I think there was like 12 of us?